Headphone recommendations?

Kylis

Ok so I am looking for some over ear headphones (headsets work also but i don't really need the mic so it would just be something I wouldn't really use. Also over ear cause on ear hurt after awhile) but I haven't ever really bought headphones so I could use some recommendations. Here are some things I am looking for.

Top of the list has to be audio quality the sound has to be balanced well with good headroom on the volume (no bass boxes please that pump the bass and make it overshadow everything else). Surround sound compatibility would be nice (if a great pair of headphones requires a amp/dac or soundcard for that I would like recommendations on those as well). Wireless would be nice as long as it keeps the quality and the charging is easy to keep up (looking at you steelseries h-wireless with your swappable battery packs). They don't need to be super cheap as I am willing to pay for quality but nothing thats higher than 500 bucks if possible unless they are far and above every other possibility. Extra bells and whistles would be good but those are the main things I am looking for. If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Ok so I am looking for some over ear headphones (headsets work also but i don't really need the mic so it would just be something I wouldn't really use. Also over ear cause on ear hurt after awhile) but I haven't ever really bought headphones so I could use some recommendations. Here are some things I am looking for.

Top of the list has to be audio quality the sound has to be balanced well with good headroom on the volume (no bass boxes please that pump the bass and make it overshadow everything else). Surround sound compatibility would be nice (if a great pair of headphones requires a amp/dac or soundcard for that I would like recommendations on those as well). Wireless would be nice as long as it keeps the quality and the charging is easy to keep up (looking at you steelseries h-wireless with your swappable battery packs). They don't need to be super cheap as I am willing to pay for quality but nothing thats higher than 500 bucks if possible unless they are far and above every other possibility. Extra bells and whistles would be good but those are the main things I am looking for. If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful. Thanks.

I suggest the Razer Kraken 7.1s, although they aren't wireless. This might help:

http://www.gamecrate.com/blind-gaming-headset-showdown-spring-2015-edition/10372

I suggest the Razer Kraken 7.1s, although they aren't wireless. This might help:

http://www.gamecrate.com/blind-gaming-headset-showdown-spring-2015-edition/10372

just no... razer is just terrible at making audio product, and the kraken 7.1s aren't an exception. 

Sennheiser RS185s would be an amazing option. They have great sound quality and amazing wireless range.

just no... razer is just terrible at making audio product, and the kraken 7.1s aren't an exception. 

Sennheiser RS185s would be an amazing option. They have great sound quality and amazing wireless range.

Which is why they're rated top in their price range? The RS185s are probably better, but they cost 4x the price, and that audio quality isn't really worth 4x the price. If you don't mind paying $300 extra for not much better audio quality, go for them instead.

ath m50x

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

Which is why they're rated top in their price range? The RS185s are probably better, but they cost 4x the price, and that audio quality isn't really worth 4x the price. If you don't mind paying $300 extra for not much better audio quality, go for them instead.

Well they were in his price range, so its fine. Also, I have shure se215s, and they are SO much better than kraken 7.1s. You didn't give him something even close to what he asked for, as he wanted premium wireless headphones, but you gave him a cheap, low quality, wired headset.

ath m50x

Not as bad as Inventrious's one, but still not ideal, especially since its not what he was asking for. If you don't give any reasons, then a recommendation is basically worthless.

Now to both of you, if you have no idea what you're talking about, just don't say it.

Now to both of you, if you have no idea what you're talking about, just don't say it.

You might be new in this sub, but we get that a lot here, people posting randomly without really knowing what they're talking about, or even bothered reading the actual post.... :(

To OP: is wireless optional or absolute? Because you can get higher results and/or lower price with wired. One thing for sure, you don't have to pay extra bucks for the wireless feature. 

$500 is actually quite a lot, especially if you don't mind wired. For wired, you can get HE-400i with it. It isn't top notch in comfortability, but the sound is one of the best in its price range. You might need an amp with it tho...

Other than that, sennheiser HD600, HD650

You make me really sad :(

ath m50x

Also not very good for gaming

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Well they were in his price range, so its fine. Also, I have shure se215s, and they are SO much better than kraken 7.1s. You didn't give him something even close to what he asked for, as he wanted premium wireless headphones, but you gave him a cheap, low quality, wired headset.

Not as bad as Inventrious's one, but still not ideal, especially since its not what he was asking for. If you don't give any reasons, they a recommendation is basically worthless.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about so I will explain it, and I guess I didn't satisfy all the needs of the people here on LTT... I recommended the ATH M50x because of their amazing audio quality and build quality. The M50xs are very durable and mostly made of either lightweight aluminum or a very durable plastic. The circumaural design fits comfortably around the ears and isolates noise very well. Although the headphones do not perform wirelessly, it has detachable and exchangeable cables. Having a modular cable system is helpful because the user doesn't have to worry about losing an adapter, and doesn't have to worry about the cable being destroyed and the expensive headphones made useless. This pair of headphones does not include a microphone. I'm sorry for making a totally off-the-wall, non-ideal, and worthless reccomendation. I just thought people could do research and stand up on their own without some random person on the internet holding their hand. 

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

I find the M50x great for gaming.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about so I will explain it, and I guess I didn't satisfy all the needs of the people here on LTT... I recommended the ATH M50x because of their amazing audio quality and build quality. The M50xs are very durable and mostly made of either lightweight aluminum or a very durable plastic. The circumaural design fits comfortably around the ears and isolates noise very well. Although the headphones do not perform wirelessly, it has detachable and exchangeable cables. Having a modular cable system is helpful because the user doesn't have to worry about losing an adapter, and doesn't have to worry about the cable being destroyed and the expensive headphones made useless. This pair of headphones does not include a microphone. I'm sorry for making a totally off-the-wall, non-ideal, and worthless reccomendation. I just thought people could do research and stand up on their own without some random person on the internet holding their hand. 

Well when you don't give any extra information, we don't know what you know. You also only have a few posts, so its not like you have a real reputation. You are just praising the m50x, but they really aren't that special. They do have those features, but many other headphones do as well. They are one of the decent options for closed backs at that price, but nothing is exceptional. Even if you did want something like the m50x, you could just get the 40x, which are almost identical for $60 less.

Well they're closed back, so they don't have very good directional audio. Also, you can respond to multiple people in one post.

congratulations. I have an ath m50 as well and I would never use it for gaming. the soundstage is too confined its detailed yes but way to confined especially for FPS games. I much prefer playing fps with my ad 700

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about 

The fact that you're recommending M50x to a person who's looking for a headphone in the $500 range suggests otherwise....

Anybody short of hearing impediments know that there are A LOT of better headphones in the $500 range. M50x isn't bad per se, it's just lots of other better options in that $500 range.

congratulations. I have an ath m50 as well and I would never use it for gaming. the soundstage is too confined its detailed yes but way to confined especially for FPS games. I much prefer playing fps with my ad 700

What are you talking about??

M50x is awesome....for farmville....

Well when you don't give any extra information, we don't know what you know. You also only have a few posts, so its not like you have a real reputation. You are just praising the m50x, but they really aren't that special. They do have those features, but many other headphones do as well. They are one of the decent options for closed backs at that price, but nothing is exceptional. Even if you did want something like the m50x, you could just get the 40x, which are almost identical for $60 less.

Well they're closed back, so they don't have very good directional audio. Also, you can respond to multiple people in one post.

The thing is, I don't know jack sh*t about the m40x or anything like that, just simply recommending the product that I know something about. And, I'm not praising the M50x, there are definitely better products out there, but do I know anything about them? No. Its just a reccomendation, an opinion. And just because I don't have many posts doesn't mean I don't have reccomendations worth looking at. A low number of posts doesn't mean less experience. Was simply just trying to say that I like a pair of headphones, I game with them a lot and they work for me, and might work for the thread poster.

The fact that you're recommending M50x to a person who's looking for a headphone in the $500 range suggests otherwise....

Anybody short of hearing impediments know that there are A LOT of better headphones in the $500 range. M50x isn't bad per se, it's just lots of other better options in that $500 range.

I'm just recommending a product that I actually own, works great for me, might be worth looking at for him. I sure wish I knew how to piss people off like you guys do.

Well wireless would be nice but not absolute. If a pair is nearing the 500 buck range I would like them to have wireless as that is hefty for a pair of headphones without extra stuff. Would the M50x headphones be good for games if you paired them with a good DAC or soundcard for virtual surround? Not familiar with the benefits of open or closed backs but I would like to be able to have it where if there is outside noise it wouldn't really come through the headphones and if I am blasting something it's not obnoxious to anyone near my room.

Also the Krakens seem like they score high in sound at times because of the heavy bass which is what I want to avoid, while I do like a strong bass it needs to be balanced.

I'm just recommending a product that I actually own, works great for me, might be worth looking at for him. I sure wish I knew how to piss people off like you guys do.

I own them too, you just haven't expanded your horizons of whats out there.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I own them too, you just haven't expanded your horizons of whats out there.

I just don't have any hands-on experience with any headphones better than these. I can't give a solid recommendation to someone if I don't have experience with any other headphones.

What you're experiencing is the 'VCD effect'

Say a guy ask you:

Ask: what's the best video resolution out there?

You: Why VCD of course. It's the best out of the best in the whole universe. 

Ask: Really? Nothing beats VCD? Not even DVD? Blu-ray? 4k?

You: DV-whaaa? Blue-who? 4 grand? Are you high?

I just don't have any hands-on experience with any headphones better than these. I can't give a solid recommendation to someone if I don't have experience with any other headphones.

Yeah that's what I'm saying it's not your fault.

The thing is, I don't know jack sh*t about the m40x or anything like that, just simply recommending the product that I know something about. And, I'm not praising the M50x, there are definitely better products out there, but do I know anything about them? No. Its just a reccomendation, an opinion. 

Well if you know that you aren't an expert, then you shouldn't be giving advice on what to buy. If you are recommending it because you have it, then that is just like being a fanboy.

And just because I don't have many posts doesn't mean I don't have reccomendations worth looking at. A low number of posts doesn't mean less experience. Was simply just trying to say that I like a pair of headphones, I game with them a lot and they work for me, and might work for the thread poster.

Thats not what I was saying... I was saying that people won't know you, so they don't know how good of a source you are. You have proven that you aren't a very good one with this incident. 

We're mad because you're spouting nonsense. 

Well wireless would be nice but not absolute. If a pair is nearing the 500 buck range I would like them to have wireless as that is hefty for a pair of headphones without extra stuff. Would the M50x headphones be good for games if you paired them with a good DAC or soundcard for virtual surround? Not familiar with the benefits of open or closed backs but I would like to be able to have it where if there is outside noise it wouldn't really come through the headphones and if I am blasting something it's not obnoxious to anyone near my room.

Also the Krakens seem like they score high in sound at times because of the heavy bass which is what I want to avoid, while I do like a strong bass it needs to be balanced.

The m50x would be ok, but really aren't great considering other options in the market. If you want something like them but for cheaper, the m4ox is almost identical. If you want something better for gaming, there are many open-back pairs. Open backs generally sound a bit better and have a much better soundstage, but don't block out noise.

My point exactly, you should be giving recommendations.

If you really want to continue this then ok, but unless you really want me to or I see something terrible, I'll be staying out of this from now on.

With all due respect, if you don't know, then don't chime in. It's potentially misleading for people genuinely seeking for answers. 

For example, I have very limited knowledge in speaker amps. The only speaker amp I have is the $25 Lepai 2020A+. If there's someone looking for a good speaker amp in a $200 price range, would I recommend the Lepai, because that's all I know? Hell no!! I'd just keep quiet, or point him to someone who knows....

What you're experiencing is the 'VCD effect'

Say a guy ask you:

Ask: what's the best video resolution out there?

You: Why VCD of course. It's the best out of the best in the whole universe. 

Ask: Really? Nothing beats VCD? Not even DVD? Blu-ray? 4k?

You: DV-whaaa? Blue-who? 4 grand? Are you high?

I never said that the m50xs were the best, I clearly stated somewhere in the thread that I know there are better headphones out there. I just can't reccommend them to anyone.

Ask: I need a high capacity hard drive that doesnt cost much.

Me: I have a seagate 4 tb myself. There are definately better out there, but I havent needed to get a new hard drive yet.

Even though I WOULDNT recommend a seagate drive.

Jesus christ, I'm just trying to recommend some headphones to someone.