To all the people who said 2GB VRAM for 1080p was enough

JorenBus

You were wrong.

With my R9 280, everything high in GTA V, I keep using 2.3-2.5GB of VRAM on 1080p.

When I recently asked on this forum if I should get the 960 or 280, some people kept saying 2GB is enough for 1080p. It's not.

Really glad the majority of you guys recommended me the 280, don't regret it a single bit!

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

You were wrong.

With my R9 280, everything high in GTA V, I keep using 2.3-2.5GB of VRAM on 1080p.

When I recently asked on this forum if I should get the 960 or 280, some people kept saying 2GB is enough for 1080p. It's not.

Really glad the majority of you guys recommended me the 280, don't regret it a single bit!

times do change and this depends on games you play. you did make the right choice with the 280. 

-snip-

Lel, VRAM is like RAM. Your PC uses as much as it can.

2GB VRAM would have been decent too :P

he 3GB of  the 280(x) is just a little bit more headroom and thus a great choice.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

GTA V is a new game, at the time you asked 2Gb was probably enough. I remember when 1Gb was enough, and 768Mb, and 256...

Someday 12Gb will probably be entry level.

I remember the times when a 512MB HDD was plenty.

12GB will be entry level at some point

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2gb is enough for most titles. 280 is superior to 960 and they were right, but all that is telling me is that GTA 5 is poorly optimized.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

You were wrong.

Everyone out there playing with 2GB cards say otherwise. Turn down some shadows and advanced features, and you have a beautiful looking game under 2GB. 

To max out any game that has the ability to use more than 2GB, would have needed a more powerful card anyway - most of which have 3GB+

Good choice on the card though. Have fun playing the game :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

You were wrong.

Who said anything about 2GBs of vram is enough for 1080p? I always heard 4GBs.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

GTA V is a new game, at the time you asked 2Gb was probably enough. I remember when 1Gb was enough, and 768Mb, and 256...

Someday 12Gb will probably be entry level.

I asked it about 2 months ago, so not really :)

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Nvidia fanboys who kept saying the 960 was better

People did in defense of the 960 over the 280 when it came out because they were around the same price.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

People did in defense of the 960 over the 280 when it came out because they were around the same price.

The 960 was about €40 more expensive than the 280 at that moment, so I bought the 280 AND a new PSU for €10 more than the price of a 960, since my old PSU was about to break.

It is enough.

I have a friend rocking an 8350, and some 2GB card (forget which one, AMD 7k series if I'm correct), and on maxed out settings, he's capping at 60fps. Same with another guy with a 4690k, and I believe a 770, and he's maxing that out too.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

The 960 is actually better than the R9 280. Only the R9 280X can beat it when it comes to FPS.

Have you ever read benchmarks? 

Also we're talking about a TDP of 120w vs. 250w. Of course the 280X will perform better. My Audi A4 will also perform better than a porsche if I slam a V12 into it...

960 has a 4GB option as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=10000770950001402 600537575&Manufactory=1402

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

960 has a 4GB option as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=10000770950001402 600537575&Manufactory=1402

At that time there wasn't a 4GB model yet

The 960 is actually better than the R9 280. Only the R9 280X can beat it when it comes to FPS.

Also we're talking about a TDP of 120w vs. 250w. Of course the 280X will perform better. My Audi A4 will also perform better than a porsche if I slam a V12 into it...

The 280x is about €5 cheaper than the cheapest 960 at the moment, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Who cares about TDP if your PSU is good enough?

The 960 was about €40 more expensive than the 280 at that moment, so I bought the 280 AND a new PSU for €10 more than the price of a 960, since my old PSU was about to break.

Ah, I must have been thinking of the 280x.

tdp =/= performance lol

If it did, The r9 290 would be wiping the floor with the 980, and we know that isn't the case.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

You were wrong.

As someone who argued for the 280 over the 960 mainly due to the VRAM difference, I'm glad its benefiting you. Fanboys are always gonna argue their side is better, but thankfully they are a minority on this forum.

I remember way back when (about a hexafortnight ago :) ) as a 'this isn't a problem ' point for the 970 that as 2GB was enough for 1080 the 3.5GB (mainstream) VRAM of the 970 wasn't really an issue as against the 4GB advertised.

4K on the otherhand...

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

This made me lol. The 480 must out perform the Titan X right? Because it has a higher TDP.

At that time there wasn't a 4GB model yet

The 280x is about €5 cheaper than the cheapest 960 at the moment, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Who cares about TDP if your PSU is good enough?

Not in my country ;)

And afaik also not in the US.

There is only one retarded retailer that sells a VTX3D 280X for super cheap, which will probably take months to ship and has a bad support here in Germany. So, no, the 280X is not cheaper here.

As someone who argued for the 280 over the 960 mainly due to the VRAM difference, I'm glad its benefiting you. Fanboys are always gonna argue their side is better, but thankfully they are a minority on this forum.

Yeah, I'm really glad I went for the 280 thanks to guys like you :)

Also, happy I'm not the only one who thinks @Senzelian 's point makes no sense at all.

Actually under the hood of the 280 you find the core of a HD 7950...

Which is one hell of an overclocker. Most if not all of them can be overclocked beyond 1100Mhz and outperform the stock 7970/280X

I had a 7950 before I got my 290X Lightning. Refused to die after three years at 1150Mhz and it still works. Probably the most tame card I've ever had.

Why pay extra for a 4GB version of 960 when you can match it with the much cheaper 280?

Exactly, I can max out pretty much everything in MSI afterburner without having any issues, it's a beast overclocker.

This made me lol. The 480 must out perform the Titan X right? Because it has a higher TDP.

Ah, I must have been thinking of the 280x.

tdp =/= performance lol

If it did, The r9 290 would be wiping the floor with the 980, and we know that isn't the case.

You guys didn't get my point, right?

NVidia could've slammed a much better chip into the GTX 960 and rekt the 290X, but such a high TDP isn't really what people want on low end cards. If NVidia wouldn't care about heat and all that crap than the TitanX wouldn't only deliver 70FPS at 4K. But they're limited by that.

You're all calling the 960 a bad card, simply because it is only a bit better than a 2yo 280 in terms of FPS, but you forget all the work that went into it.

Yeah, I'm really glad I went for the 280 thanks to guys like you :)

Also, happy I'm not the only one who thinks @Senzelian 's point makes no sense at all.

Oh yeah... Such a strong argument. I'm really impressed.

Maybe you forgot that I also said get a 280, because it's cheaper and the performance isn't much of a difference to the 960 and for the extra 1GB of VRAM. (If it was actually you that I was talking to. Maybe it was a different thread)

But I also said, that 1GB might not even effect your gameplay, because 2GB are totally fine right now. In most games you would even get more FPS out of a 960.

I'm such a NVidia fanboy Q_Q

You guys didn't get my point, right?

NVidia could've slammed a much better chip into the GTX 960 and rekt the 290X, but such a high TDP isn't really what people want on low end cards. If NVidia wouldn't care about heat and all that crap than the TitanX wouldn't only deliver 70FPS at 4K. But they're limited by that.

You're all calling the 960 a bad card, simply because it is only a bit better than a 2yo 280 in terms of FPS, but you forget all the work that went into it.

290X? I guess you're saying the 280X.

It's also pretty much midtier at 200€. Literally the only leg-up it has over the competition is TDP and HDMI 2.0. And while having a lower TDP is always better, I don't honestly believe that a midrange desktop PC buyer is most concerned about TDP. The performance difference for the same price is too much, and everything at this price range will still run with a cheap 500 W PSU.

nVidia throttles the Titan only because there's no competition for the fastest single-GPU right now. Performance comes first to their flagship, and nVidia always wants to claim the "fastest GPU" title at any cost. Right now that can also bundle it with better TDP because the competition hasn't launched a new card in ages, but back when they did have competition, they weren't thinking of TDP at all.