Best Thermal Paste?

Muffinator
Go to solution Solved by Muffinator,

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751

AS5 doesnt spread nicely as nt-h1 and with soft mounts like H100i's on 1155 nt-h1 gives much better temps. AS5 is nothing more besides junk compared to nt-h1.

You are nothing more then glass, waiting to be smashed! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Is Arctic MX-4 good? I bought that recently and haven't had to use it yet (just have it for backup)

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Is Arctic MX-4 good? I bought that recently and haven't had to use it yet (just have it for backup)

MX4 is like, in the top 5, and they all perform in a margin of error difference

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

MX4 is like, in the top 5, and they all perform in a margin of error difference

What are the top 5 exactly?

Liquid Ultra and Pro are generally only recommended in permanent mounting scenarios, such as between the Die and heat spreader of a CPU if you de-lid.

Otherwise, google good Non-conductive thermal paste, click the first link, buy that one. They all perform pretty much the same. Hell, use toothpaste, it'll work

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

What are the top 5 exactly?

MX4, MX3, IC Diamond, NT-H1, Gelid something

in no particular order

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

IC Diamond is the best for thermal transfer. I just repasted my GTX760 yesterday. I was getting temps of about 82c in Diablo 3 which was way to high for me, so after repasting, I was getting about 72c, now I do keep my fan profile set extremely low in Precision so my temps do get slightly higher, but I trade it off for the silent operation. But yea, IC DIamond them probably AS-5 are the 2 best ones out there.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

IC Diamond is the best for thermal transfer. I just repasted my GTX760 yesterday. I was getting temps of about 82c in Diablo 3 which was way to high for me, so after repasting, I was getting about 72c, now I do keep my fan profile set extremely low in Precision so my temps do get slightly higher, but I trade it off for the silent operation. But yea, IC DIamond them probably AS-5 are the 2 best ones out there.

Hows the gelid??

I personally ahve only used IC Diamond and AS-5, I only use AS-5 for other peoples computers I work on. I use IC Diamond on my own parts and it gives great temps. 10.5hrs of Prime95 with my i5 and cooler info in my sig produced maximum temps of 65c with the average around 58c

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I've applied a lot of MX4 to my CPU and GPUs when remounting my block. I think thermal paste like ICD, MX4, and NTH1 have a decimal difference in temps as far as I know of. Just pick the one that is cheapest and one that is available in your local store. Also, I've heard the diamond particle inside ICD can scratch your IHS when wiping it off, not sure if it's true.

what are good thermal compounds? i dont know a lot of things about them...are the ones coming with the heatsink good or not? i will be using the hyper 212 evo 

ps:i didnt know where this kind of topic go so i just put it in air cooling.

They're all good really. A degree or two difference here and there.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

what are good thermal compounds? i dont know a lot of things about them...are the ones coming with the heatsink good or not? i will be using the hyper 212 evo 

ps:i didnt know where this kind of topic go so i just put it in air cooling.

Arctic Silver 5.

The stuff with the heatsink is okay, but I would spend the $7 on IC Diamond 7.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

yea, if you plan on doing some serious overclocking get some of the good stuff as mentioned above, otherwise dont bother :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

As long as you don't use mustard or mayonnaise for a prolonged period of time, you should be good. >.<

The Arctic Cooling MX-4 is working well for me on my GPU's. When I redo my CPU it'll be with the same stuff.

Everyone has their favourite thermal paste, so this is going to get a lot of varied answers.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

well I just repasted my GTX760 from the stock to ICDIamond and it dropped my temps while playing Diablo 3 from 82c to about 72-73c.. ICDiamond is the best thermal interface material available. Multiple sources out there and its also prefered compound by Linus as well.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

mhm, thank you for all the suggestions, but id like to know one last thing.

is the thermal compound coming with the hyper 212 evo okay ?

just to add, im using GC gelid extreme because they sell it in a small plastic container that holds ten grams.. thats enough for several applications so its what im using for a while..  im finding it to be pretty good thermal compound but it isn't the easiest to spread... this may not be an issue for those that use the pea method.  also, from what Ive read from the IC diamond thermal paste is also the bomb. :) 

I would say that the thermal compound that comes with the 212 hyper evo is more than okay.  if its gray.. its okay :) 

Use a toothpaste /sarcasm/

Nah use IC Diamond, theyre the best.

mhm, thank you for all the suggestions, but id like to know one last thing.

is the thermal compound coming with the hyper 212 evo okay ?

Stock compounds doesnt really work with overclockers.. but if you want to it is also fine.. Stock compound 4/10

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Arctic Silver 5.

I love that one to, but I perfer to use MX-4 because I just can't afford to even accidentally cause a short. but when I can I do like to use Arctic silver 5.

Nothing to see here, move along

Don't really understand what you guys like about AS5..

Changing your thermal paste whether is it for the CPU or GPU to an aftermarket one is always one of the cheapest upgrade to lower your temps. I would recommend NT-H1, MX-4, or IC Diamond.