i5 good to stream or better to get i7 ?

Escapenz

Is a i5 good to stream with ? I have been looking around and found a i7 4790 fro about $60 more and want to know if it will be worth spending the extra money to get it. If i did all it means is ill have to wait another week or two to get a water cooler for it

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

If you're streaming, the I7 will do A LOT more. On a 4690K you'll start to see some bottlenecks when you do that kind of heavy multitasking.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

i5 will be fine if you use Quicksync as the encoder. That moves all the CPU intesive tasks to the iGPU of the i5, which means no burden is placed on your CPU.

My 4790Ks da bomb for streaming. I hate to be held down by multitasking. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Is a i5 good to stream with ? I have been looking around and found a i7 4790 fro about $60 more and want to know if it will be worth spending the extra money to get it. If i did all it means is ill have to wait another week or two to get a water cooler for it

My i5 streams 1080p 30fps fine in any game I've tried (60fps in game, but 30fps on stream), but when I try to bump the stream up to 60fps it really starts to shit the bed. If your internet is capable of 1080p 60fps then I'd say get the i7, but if it's only capable of 1080p 30fps/720p 60fps then speaking from experience; the i5 is pretty capable.

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

Depends. For mostly gaming and casual streaming (meaning you are doing it for fun, and not looking to start a career on twitch), i5 will work fine - many games are not that CPU intensive. For those times when there are issues - you can use QuickSync. Now, the problem with QuickSync - it has lesser quality-per-bitrate than x.264. And the lower the bitrate, the higher the difference. Below 5 mb/s - noticeable even without zooming in. Hence most "professional" streamers prefer software x.264

If you do want to stream seriously, then i7 is an obvious superior choice. i7-4790 is fully capable of running any AAA title and streaming that title at 1080p 60fps with x.264.

However - if you are not interested in overclocking - take a look at Xeon E3 1231 V3 - http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3- It is basically i7-4770 in terms of performance, it is cheaper by quite a bit. The difference is that Xeon is a server CPU, that has higher binning (rated for 24/7 lifetime operation, lower TDP, boost is more stable), some specific server/workstation features but also lacks HD 4600 integrated GPU - which you probably don't need, because I assume you have a proper GPU. It also lacks QuickSync, but again, you don't need it, because it can handle software x.264 without any issues.

I fourth this

I fifth this

However, just remember that GPU encoding requires a higher bitrate to look as good as CPU encoding, From my experimentations, its about 1.5x - 2x increase from CPU bitrate will give you the same quality in GPU encoding. So if 1500Kbps CPU encoding looks good to you streaming, then you're gonna need 2250Kbps - 3000 Kbps for the same level of quality. The point of no benefit is about prolly 20Mbps onwards.

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

If you're streaming, the I7 will do A LOT more. On a 4690K you'll start to see some bottlenecks when you do that kind of heavy multitasking.

Well i do like to not close crap so a I5 might slow down a bit

i5 will be fine if you use Quicksync as the encoder. That moves all the CPU intesive tasks to the iGPU of the i5, which means no burden is placed on your CPU.

Quicksync i need to google this xD i have a adm cpu atm

My 4790Ks da bomb for streaming. I hate to be held down by multitasking. 

I think we all hate that :D

My i5 streams 1080p 30fps fine in any game I've tried (60fps in game, but 30fps on stream), but when I try to bump the stream up to 60fps it really starts to shit the bed. If your internet is capable of 1080p 60fps then I'd say get the i7, but if it's only capable of 1080p 30fps/720p 60fps then speaking from experience; the i5 is pretty capable.

I My internet can do 1080p 60fps but would only do 720p 60fps at the most :)

Depends. For mostly gaming and casual streaming (meaning you are doing it for fun, and not looking to start a career on twitch), i5 will work fine - many games are not that CPU intensive. For those times when there are issues - you can use QuickSync. Now, the problem with QuickSync - it has lesser quality-per-bitrate than x.264. And the lower the bitrate, the higher the difference. Below 5 mb/s - noticeable even without zooming in. Hence most "professional" streamers prefer software x.264

If you do want to stream seriously, then i7 is an obvious superior choice. i7-4790 is fully capable of running any AAA title and streaming that title at 1080p 60fps with x.264.

However - if you are not interested in overclocking - take a look at Xeon E3 1231 V3 - http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3- It is basically i7-4770 in terms of performance, it is cheaper by quite a bit. The difference is that Xeon is a server CPU, that has higher binning (rated for 24/7 lifetime operation, lower TDP, boost is more stable), some specific server/workstation features but also lacks HD 4600 integrated GPU - which you probably don't need, because I assume you have a proper GPU. It also lacks QuickSync, but again, you don't need it, because it can handle software x.264 without any issues.

Oh i forgot i can get server cpu xD i might have a look around at the prices for some if not just get that one as i don't care for over clocking at all really, plus i dont have to turn my pc off really any more xD

Just use quicksync.

To google i go xD

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

I use my i5 with a Gtx 970, using OBS with quick sync and everything in game AND drivers set to quality vs performance. The stream looks good, all text is readable, though there is just a touch of blockiness. And everything is running 90+ fps for me (OBS limits stream to 30fps anyway, unless you tell it otherwise)

Using OBS really isn't that heavy on a system. I used to game AND stream on a A10-6800k APU just fine. Internet bandwidth I'd my biggest limiter for streaming, add I'm only at 4mbps upstream.

If you already have a GPU, consider the Xeon E3 1231V3.

It's essentially an i7-4770 without an integrated GPU for close to an i5-4690k's price.