Case Fans controlled by GPU Temp...

Hunched

Just now figured out this is possible with SpeedFan, I did research this forever ago and gave up.

SpeedFan isn't the easiest thing to use, it has some stupid default settings and isn't self explanatory at all, but it appears to be the only thing on the planet with this capability.

AI Suite, BIOS, everything else that controls fans don't use GPU temps, but CPU, Mobo, PCH etc temps...

It doesn't make sense when I can open GPU-Z or HWinfo and many other things that report my GPU temps, yet somehow all these fan control programs can't access that data and use it...

It was hard to find this information, mostly everybody says to buy a dedicated fan controller or a thermal probe to attach to the GPU.

Yet you don't need to buy anything special to control your fans with CPU temps, which are just as easily accessed by a program like HWinfo.

I don't understand how SpeedFan has this functionality and nothing else does, I can't think of any reason AI Suite or my BIOS can't detect my GPU temperature and let my case fans be controlled by it.

My GPU gets hotter than my CPU, so if I'm not playing something CPU intensive while my case fans are controlled by my CPU temps... well my GPU will sky rocket in temperature...

SpeedFan seems to be the only thing that can control case fans and read the temperature of a GPU, which seems really weird to me.

I mean who in the f*** is controlling their case fans from their mobo temp which barely changes? Seriously? Somehow that is an available option and GPU isn't in all this other fan control software.

Wish I knew about this sooner, I did try SpeedFan in the past and it crashed my PC while opening because of issues with Windows 8.1

If you have good airflow in your case, and good fans, then you don't have to change case fan speeds at all. At least from my experience with a 780t case and AF 140s.

If you have good airflow in your case, and good fans, then you don't have to change case fan speeds at all. At least from my experience with a 780t case and AF 140s.

I'd like them to be running faster when I'm playing Crysis 3 (or something else demanding) than they are when I'm idle and browsing the internet.

I have an Arc Midi R2 and NF-A14's

I'd like them to be running faster when I'm playing Crysis 3 (or something else demanding) than they are when I'm idle and browsing the internet.

In case you got an asus mobo you can install fan expert on it, works well for me.

edit: you fans must be connected 4pin pwm

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Well you are running Noctua fans. They're gonna be quiet as hell even when spinning a bit faster.

I can accept that! Haha

In case you got an asus mobo you can install fan expert on it, works well for me.

edit: you fans must be connected 4pin pwm

The whole point is you can't have the fans speed up or down in relation to GPU temps rising or lowering, despite tons of other programs being able to monitor GPU temps, apparently Fan Xpert isn't capable.

SpeedFan seems to be the only software that controls fans that can also monitor GPU temperature, for some reason.

I'm sure the guys at Asus could do it if SpeedFan can.

Hi,

the bios can't read GPU Temps because the GPU is an expansion-card connected over pci. It isn't "part" of the mainboard.

Once the OS is running and the drivers from your gpu manufacturer are loaded, a software -like speedfand- can read the information gathered by the driver. And since speedfan also can access the fancontroller of your mainboard...

So, yeah, Speedfan could be easier to use and Software like afterburner should be able to control case fans, but it's basicly impossible to do this kind of fan control in the bios.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Hi,

the bios can't read GPU Temps because the GPU is an expansion-card connected over pci. It isn't "part" of the mainboard.

Once the OS is running and the drivers from your gpu manufacturer are loaded, a software -like speedfand- can read the information gathered by the driver. And since speedfan also can access the fancontroller of your mainboard...

So, yeah, Speedfan could be easier to use and Software like afterburner should be able to control case fans, but it's basicly impossible to do this kind of fan control in the bios.

That makes sense.

It would be nice if Asus ever decided to add a GPU option to Fan Xpert in AI Suite then, I don't understand why they haven't.

I know I'm not the only one who wants this functionality, I've found others looking for answers in my Google travels.

That makes sense.

It would be nice if Asus ever decided to add a GPU option to Fan Xpert in AI Suite then, I don't understand why they haven't.

I know I'm not the only one who wants this functionality, I've found others looking for answers in my Google travels.

Okay this might be tricky, but case temps usually go up parallel with gpu temps so you can adjust your fans via fanexpert like that. Maybe JJ will hear your prayers for the next update^^

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Why not just control them by CPU temp, and loosen the CPU profile a bit so it ramps up. Crysis 3 should really hammer the CPU, if it's not heating up that profile is too agressive.

Btw, what do you mean "skyrocket"? Mine only gets about 65deg in a tiny node 304 case..

Why not just control them by CPU temp, and loosen the CPU profile a bit so it ramps up. Crysis 3 should really hammer the CPU, if it's not heating up that profile is too agressive.

Btw, what do you mean "skyrocket"? Mine only gets about 65deg in a tiny node 304 case..

Crysis 3 was a terrible example you're right.

By skyrocket, the temps don't actually skyrocket technically, more like the GPU fans skyrocket in speed and keep the temps about the same.

Having the case fans running faster, makes it so the GPU fan doesn't have to run as fast, and results in things being more quiet.

If I played a game where the CPU wasn't being stressed and the case fans were controlled by that, the GPU fan would have to work harder and be louder to keep the same temperature, which it does.

Having the case fans controlled by GPU and having both GPU & Case fans increase keeps things quieter, then the GPU fan doesn't have to do tons of work while my case fans are just casually spinning not being as helpful as they could.

Having the case fans running faster, makes it so the GPU fan doesn't have to run as fast, and results in things being more quiet.

I had exactly the same results in my testing. I set my SP120 at a fixed speed, where i couldn't hear it over the gpu fan and compared it to my gpu temp bound fan curve.

With dynamic fan control i got 4°C less and noticeable less noise.

edit:

Yeah, Speedfan is the only solution for now. And it's not that hard to setup.

If you haven't done it already and you need any help, just ask ;)

InWin 901

You have to do this with Speedfan, but it's a bit of a pain to programm.

I had exactly the same results in my testing. I set my SP120 at a fixed speed, where i couldn't hear it over the gpu fan and compared it to my gpu temp bound fan curve.

With dynamic fan control i got 4°C less and noticeable less noise.

edit:

Yeah, Speedfan is the only solution for now. And it's not that hard to setup.

If you haven't done it already and you need any help, just ask ;)

I seem to have got it working and it's scheduled to run minimized on start up.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is customizing the fan curves. I can't click and drag the green dots or enter specific values, it's just click somewhere above or below the dots...

I'm either doing it wrong like an idiot or the fan curve customization is terribly designed.

No, it's just that bad...

The idea is: you click somewhere to get a dot to the location where you clicked. Not drag and drop....

you can also rightclick on a dot and adjust it in the context menu...

InWin 901

No, it's just that bad...

The idea is: you click somewhere to get a dot to the location where you clicked. Not drag and drop....

you can also rightclick on a dot and adjust it in the context menu...

Ah thanks, it just annoyed me that I couldn't set it to specific amounts, didn't even think to right click.

As silly as it is, I can see exactly what they are and adjust them now.

I should just be able to right click and type in "35" or whatever and get that percentage, that would be nice.

• 4 years later...

I am aware that this is a rather old thread, but as this question is still relevant and on the top of many peoples minds and the (imho) best solution was not even mentioned, I thought I would add this one here as reference in case someone else is searching for a solution and was stumbling on this thread just as I had before.

To control the case fans based on temperature of your GPU (or a combination of GPU and CPU or even disk temperatures or temperature readings of sensors on your motherboard) you should give Argus Monitor a try.

When it comes to fan control, there is at the moment nothing that comes close in the usability department. It's easy to configure (unlike SpeedFan where you have to watch or read some tutorials to figure out how to configure it), but the GUI looks rather dated (some might say 'retro' ;) ).

The only downside is that it's not completely free (but the price for the license is very low, so for me this was no real 'downside').

fan_control_page.png.8728a07398727360eeb9c3391f0d0789.png       control_curve_mainboard.png.f8c1c948e219c3608f1cd98c7d242112.png

multi_controller.png

5 hours ago, NJoe said:

I am aware that this is a rather old thread, but as this question is still relevant

We still would rather you make another thread than revive old one. This question is asked fairly often, and I for one give all options to people who ask for it. Using mobos own, using Speedfan on older mobos, using Argus Monitor if you are willing to pay. Or perhaps using one by our member:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv