3-Month later, Android 5.0 (Lollipop), has only 1.6% marketshare

GoodBytes

Well I keep hearing that it's really buggy so maybe manufacturers are waiting for things to be ironed out? I still haven't got it for my HTC One m7.  

Is the Moto G struggling with Lollipop? :/

not really, is more of a lollipop issue that the phone, everything takes 1 second longer to load and its laggy af after boot, other that its fine

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

My nexus had more issues prior to 5.0.

Might just be lucky, however, I have yet to see the downside of upgrading.

Hm was the opposite here. Apps random freezed. And touch sometimes bugged out. Flashing back to 4.4 fixed it.

not really, is more of a lollipop issue that the phone, everything takes 1 second longer to load and its laggy af after boot, other that its fine

Ooo good. Well maybe a fix can undo the issue.

Still no Lollipop cm12 on my oneplus one

I'm still running Kitkat on my moto x because there hasn't been an update for it yet. -___-

Based on what Wendel said on The Tek a while back, I won't like 5.x aesthetically but I will still update for the security features.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Well the "upgrade" to lollipop bricked my Nexus7(2012), so I'm not helping them gaining market share at least.  Don't think I'll be getting another android tablet either, think I'll try a Windows tablet next if I bother with another tablet.

Well the "upgrade" to lollipop bricked my Nexus7(2012), so I'm not helping them gaining market share at least.  Don't think I'll be getting another android tablet either, think I'll try a Windows tablet next if I bother with another tablet.

I personally think x86 Windows tablets are the way to go these days. Android is good as a phone OS but for a tablet there's so much more flexibility with a full flavor of Windows.

Yez it can even run Crysis

Oh good, good to see the update process on Android is just as bad as Windows Phone. Carriers..

Well it is, they didnt have to release android that way

They could also have a way to allow all android phones (that are capable) of being updated to the latest release of android, similar to how a pc can be updated to windows 8.1 and 10

They could pressure manufacturers and carriers to release updates more frequently and with less bloat

But they did release it like that, which is logical for a company that cares for market share a lot more than for the user experience. All these measurements that you counted up would have led to a significantly lower market share of Android, in favor of the manufacturer's own OSes.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Well my gs3 was never going to get it anyway...

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

But they did release it like that, which is logical for a company that cares for market share a lot more than for the user experience. All these measurements that you counted up would have led to a significantly lower market share of Android, in favor of the manufacturer's own OSes.

Fragmentation is worse for customer experience than closed source

Hence why I use iOS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I really wish Google would mandate that all phones running Android must support the latest OS for 2 years. 

This is a reasonable amount to ask for manufacturers/carriers and it is in line with the common 2-year agreement here in the US. Unfortunately this will never happen.

I actually generally dislike android Lolipop and parts of material design. Information density is down as well as flexibility both that imo were struck at a good balance in kitkat. Yeah it looks nice but for me it i significantly less intuitive, this being doubly bad as it was designed to be intuitive. I wish they would go more in the direction that some costum roms are going. I mean they exist cause people want them so they should be respected and integrated into the os imo. Have the flexibilty to switch between high information density and low info dens. that would be awesome.

I have lollipop on a Galaxy S Plus.

Lol.

(Cyanogen mod)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Blame the OEMs and carriers, because they are responsible for getting you the latest updates. Right now the best way to get Lollipop is a custom ROM. Official CM12 supports about 30 devices, and then there's unofficial CM12... And other ROMs... And GPE devices.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Well, oems such as motorola are pushing the lollipop update to its phones, so it is mostly other oems

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

And??.... Most company have not updated their phone yet. I would asume that 4.4 to 5.0 will be longer than 4.3 to 4.4

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

I would love to rollback to KitKat on my Nexus 7 2013; Lollipop has been nothing but sluggish and buggy.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Carriers are dropping the ball here. the OTA updates are rubbish... Cant wait for 5.0 - likely flash ROM with it soon.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

It's because Android 5.0 is a buggy bitch. At its current revision it still feels like a beta.

Not really, I've had LoliPop on my Nexus 5 since it was still Android L, which happens to be my daily driver, and I haven't really ran into any real bugs in quite a long time, let alone enough to call it "a buggy bitch"...

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Not really, I've had LoliPop on my Nexus 5 since it was still Android L, which happens to be my daily driver, and I haven't really ran into any real bugs in quite a long time, let alone enough to call it "a buggy bitch"...

It operates fine at a consumer level tho if you dig through the 5.0.2 source tree the term "buggy bitch" fits accordingly. There's a lot yet to be fixed to increase stability and efficiency of the new operating system. Hopefully 5.0.3 comes with fixes to plug the memory leak that Android 5.0.x has that causes the system to chew up 1.2 GB of memory for no reason at all. On a Nexus 5 with 2 GB of memory it might not be that noticeable to you but for devices rocking only 1 GB of memory it's a critical issue.

To see if your device is experiencing this problem go to.

Settings -> Apps -> Running

Check your "System" memory consumption if it's nearing 1 GB then you are experiencing the memory leak.

There other problems not as critical as this that still gives Android 5.0 a "beta" feel. It needs to mature more before it gets massively deployed to devices. Most who develop custom roms plug these leaks and fix the other issues while they build the AOSP branch. Google needs to pick up the pace with fixing Android 5.0.

Google should NEVER have let manufacturers and carriers organise updates

All android phones (provided minimum specs are there) should be allowed to upgrade to newer versions of android as soon as they are available, just like a PC user can update the OS

By letting this happen they have fragmented the OS beyond repair

Verry true, im running a LG maximus g pro and im still at 4.1 cause LG wont roll out the updates

Let's agree to disagree

Well, oems such as motorola are pushing the lollipop update to its phones, so it is mostly other oems

Except I still haven't got it on my Motorola G LTE, which was advertised as "right around the corner" right at launch of lollipop, so that's bullshit.

I'm thinking they aren't even letting people upgrade until it's localized for their language, which is horseshit because I use English anyway.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.