[Build Log] H2O-Micro (<3 Liter watercooled gaming system)

QinX

it is a custom pcb ?!

Yes;

But there is a specific pinout for the power part of the riser, and the card needs up to 75w ( that's a lot ) from the slot, and he stated that one site had incorrect pinout ( did the "correct" one work ? )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Do you have pictures/renders? :)

I don't have any pictures/renders of how they are connected. I will make some this week.

I was more interested in the way he made the powered riser;

Did he just power it off a molex power ?

I'm thinking of getting a 4x flex riser and just splicing the cables to power it, but I want to see how he did it .

If you look at the picture below you can see in the top left I have 6 vias, I used the 2 biggest vias to connect a seperate 12V and GND to the PCB.

The problem I had with the PCB is that I had 1 trace that was still linked to the 12V, that trace got burned out, the PCB still functions fine.

full.png

it is a custom pcb ?!

Yes it is a custom PCB, there are a couple of risers available that fold over the motherboard, but I had some specific wishes as well as a very specific height requirement, so I made my own.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Would you be willing to help a bit ?

I'm making a system, powering the mobo and gpu from independant brick's ( for reasons )

I need a 19v power source for the cpu right (mobo, etc )?

I'm going to be using a 750 ti, but it's the model with a 6 pin power adapter, do you think it would be fine to run it directly off the mobo just to see if it works ? ( evga ftw acx edition ),

as I imagine that the 6 pin power connector will remove most of the stress on the pci link ?

When you made the pc, what was the loss of power ( wall power draw vs acual power draw of the pc ) ?

Thanks for any help :D

Oh boy i'm glad I found this :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Hi,

Would you be willing to help a bit ?

I'm making a system, powering the mobo and gpu from independant brick's ( for reasons )

Hi, have you seen HDPLEX psu's? It might suit your build better

i3570k @4300Asus P8Z77-VKingston Fury 16Gb DDR3Asus 7970 Direct CUII TOP x2Samsung 830 256Gb, Enthoo Primo, EVGA 1000W P2 psu

Corsair K90Logitech G9xSamsung S27A750D 3D monitor, Pioneer A400Monitor Audio BR2 - 600T Enthoo Water Cooling Build blog

Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz, Radeon X800Pro 256Mb, 2Gb DDR Ram, WinXP - Retro'04 Build log

Hi, have you seen HDPLEX psu's? It might suit your build better

Well the mobo only needs a 19v supply, and I want to be able to seperate the gpu from the rest of the pc.

I'm going to be powering the gpu off a 180w 12v laptop psu that I will siply adapt to 6 pin pcie .

Also HDPLEX is epensive :P my pc is going to be a 40€ cpu, 80€ gpu and other cheap pieces

@QinX - in the light of AMD's press conference, maybe instead of looking at the FuryX, you should focus on the Nano? considering they slated it as "significantly more powerful than the 290x" and it's a six inch mITX card already (and they claim it has a 2.0x perf/watt increase, which puts it at ~175-200w of power if we assume it falls between FuryX and 290x perf) it might be a better fit for this kind of build, and would be a significant step up perf wise compared to the 970.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

• 2 weeks later...

@QinX - in the light of AMD's press conference, maybe instead of looking at the FuryX, you should focus on the Nano? considering they slated it as "significantly more powerful than the 290x" and it's a six inch mITX card already (and they claim it has a 2.0x perf/watt increase, which puts it at ~175-200w of power if we assume it falls between FuryX and 290x perf) it might be a better fit for this kind of build, and would be a significant step up perf wise compared to the 970.

I'm looking both into the Fury Nano and Fury X in terms of support, they should both fit inside the current chassis, I would need to design different blocks and for the Fury X a stronger adapter is needed. No promises but I will be checking both out.

Hi,

How did you connect the HDplex board to the 19v ?

My brick supplies the 19V with the correct connector ( 7.4x5.1mm ), but I don't know if you're connecting the brick to the mobo and simply soldering the HDplex power connector to the mobo and powering it that way or if you are using a different method.

Could you maybe take some pics of the power supply system ? ( and maybe a schematic ? )

Also, I would personally be considering testing the fury in that space, but power for me is a big problem, as the 970 is already close to the 250w limit.

Hi,

How did you connect the HDplex board to the 19v ?

My brick supplies the 19V with the correct connector ( 7.4x5.1mm ), but I don't know if you're connecting the brick to the mobo and simply soldering the HDplex power connector to the mobo and powering it that way or if you are using a different method.

Could you maybe take some pics of the power supply system ? ( and maybe a schematic ? )

Also, I would personally be considering testing the fury in that space, but power for me is a big problem, as the 970 is already close to the 250w limit.

In my current setup I've crimped a Molex Mini-Fit connector that plugs into the 2-Pin header on the motherboard, this connector to the 4-Pin input on the HDplex, In the new design the HDplex is no longer used.

The HDplex is rated for 250W but with active cooling over the heatsink you can get up to 400W out of it.

In my current setup I've crimped a Molex Mini-Fit connector that plugs into the 2-Pin header on the motherboard, this connector to the 4-Pin input on the HDplex, In the new design the HDplex is no longer used.

The HDplex is rated for 250W but with active cooling over the heatsink you can get up to 400W out of it.

You've made your own pcb ? :o

In the current setup, I was wondering how to power the entire pc, as that seems to be the main problem,

I've had trouble with :

Getting the GPU power to switch on at the same time as the mobo power ( I managed this by connecting a sata to molex adapter on the mobo, then using the molex on a dual psu board, then connecting the 24 pin of the hdplex to the dual psu board ( tl;dr, getting the hd plex to start at the same time as the mobo )

Getting the HD plex and mobo wired up without a lot of clutter ( the 24 pin takes up a lot of precious space )

I've been looking around online, but there seems to be few solutions to this problem

It would be cool to see the first page of the post updated :D

• 2 weeks later...

You've made your own pcb ? :o

In the current setup, I was wondering how to power the entire pc, as that seems to be the main problem,

I've had trouble with :

Getting the GPU power to switch on at the same time as the mobo power ( I managed this by connecting a sata to molex adapter on the mobo, then using the molex on a dual psu board, then connecting the 24 pin of the hdplex to the dual psu board ( tl;dr, getting the hd plex to start at the same time as the mobo )

Getting the HD plex and mobo wired up without a lot of clutter ( the 24 pin takes up a lot of precious space )

I've been looking around online, but there seems to be few solutions to this problem

It would be cool to see the first page of the post updated :D

I've done the following to dual boot both the motherboard and the HDPlex

Using the sata connector on the motherboard I take the 5V and soldered it to the GATE a simple MOSFET.

I've then soldered it the Source to PS_ON and the Drain to Ground.

So like this

full.jpg

I'm working some other stuff out, but once I've done that I'll update the first post.

3 litre is crazy man

wish I have the talent to build a rig like this

• 5 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been busy with the new design and getting my BOM and pricing complete.

I'm close to final but you will have the bear with me for a little longer ;)

For now all I can show you is a small teaser of the new design.

full.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2015 at 5:32 AM, QinX said:
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been busy with the new design and getting my BOM and pricing complete.

I'm close to final but you will have the bear with me for a little longer ;)

For now all I can show you is a small teaser of the new design.

full.jpg

f58257175e.gif

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

this is crazy good man :)

can't wait to see benchmarks & the finished result.