Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

Not sure if my question counts, but I've always wondered if Adobe programs (specifically Photoshop and After Effects) benefit from high-speed RAM. I know more ram is great for AE since it allows for longer previews, but does the clock speed make a difference?

Not sure if my question counts, but I've always wondered if Adobe programs (specifically Photoshop and After Effects) benefit from high-speed RAM. I know more ram is great for AE since it allows for longer previews, but does the clock speed make a difference?

Not sure about AE but PS seems to give little to no cares about ram speed: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Memory-Optimization-182/page2

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What happens if you put 2 completely different GPUs and don't SLI or crossfire?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

What happens if you put 2 completely different GPUs and don't SLI or crossfire?

They just work independently. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They just work independently. 

So if you like plug in one monitor into one and another monitor into another GPU, are they gonna run independent, or will one just show?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

How the hell OS like Windows are made, I mean, how they program them? I'm seeing programing in class, and it seems that you need something to work in to make something.

Well, my question is more like: How the first OS were made? They wrote the code in white sheets and then with magic transformed to binary and made it run on PC's?

what is cas latency?

Column Address Strobe is the amount of time it takes for the RAM to respond back with the information requested by the computer.

Example:

Let's say the RAM has a CAS latency of 9 (ns), and in the ram I've stored a value of "Hello World!".

From the time when the computer requests it, to when the RAM returns the data, 9 ns will have passed.

Who is gaben

Gaben is the contraction of Gabe Newell, the founder of Valve.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What does a Hyper Threading do?

It allows the processor to utilize all of its power rather than sitting there doing nothing sometimes. It basically performs the setup for the next operation as it executes the current operation.

It's something unpredictable. But in the end is right. I hope you've had the time of your life.

So if you like plug in one monitor into one and another monitor into another GPU, are they gonna run independent, or will one just show?

Read what you just quoted.

I wonder how annoyed @nsyedhassan is for people still quoting his post from a year ago

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Can someone explain how fan controllers work? Thanks

They allow you to connect multiple fans to it and then allow you to adjust fans speeds either based on DC voltage control (sending the fan 40% / 60%/ 100% power) or PWM (turning the power on/off constantly--the slower you want it to go the more time it spends powered off).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thanks for the quick response. Also, can you explain how to setup fans in a case? I get confused with intake, bringing cool air in and taking it out. (I usually google it but can't go into depth right now, in class)

Intake fans -- are usually placed in the front and occasionally bottom of the case. Exhaust fans are usually placed up top or out the back. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Look at that fancy title.

Edit:

Oh right a question. Why are 16x (or just any high speed lane) lanes generally the prefered top slot on motherboards?

I want to put a sound card in my system without restricting airflow to my video card, shouldnt it just be standard to have a 4x lane first, followed by a 16x??

Because it's closer to the CPU/RAM. The closer the x16 slot is to the CPU/RAM the less interference occurs. An x16 card is processing alot of data and if it's a graphics card the time it takes for the information to get the CPU and be displayed on your monitor is critical and when we're talking milliseconds inches matter.

Also, I'm not positive about this but if you put a 4x lane on top of an x16 it would cause a huge bottleneck within the system. 

Fx-6300 @4.4Ghz  -  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  -  Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 @1100/1325mhz  -  16Gb of GSkill Sniper Series Ram @1866mhz  -  EVGA SuperNova G2 750w Psu

How the hell OS like Windows are made, I mean, how they program them? I'm seeing programing in class, and it seems that you need something to work in to make something.

Well, my question is more like: How the first OS were made? They wrote the code in white sheets and then with magic transformed to binary and made it run on PC's?

Well, it used to be Assembly language, but I don't really know anymore.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is because they have different needs. like US has $ and UK has the Fancy E. And there are probably other reasons like as far as i know you guys use commas in (Fancy E)3,50  and we use periods $3.50 so for ease of use it might be different. im kind of talking out my butt right now but to me it makes sense.

Also thanks for the response.

well the north America QWERTY because when poeple with mechanical typewriters ( you know the old ones that use ink rebons that you see in old black and white movies ) with the DEVORAK layout jam a lot when they type too fast because the most use letters were to close to each other so the letters jam, Someone ( can't remember who ) move the letters around so that the typewriter jam less and the QWERTY was born

what makes a moused A any better than mouse pad B?

Traction, uniformity, and quality of material. The degree of which varies depending on preference.