Ultimate Eyefinity Surround Gaming Setup Part 2

Black bars on the top and bottom? What is this, The Order 1886? This video does not meet my standards, Unsubscribed.

/Sarcasm

Why did you use AMD graphics cards not nvidia ones? And also why not use Titan z in 3 or 4 way sli? Surely they would handle it.

There's that itch in my first again.

What I don't understand is why nobody ever puts these 21/9 monitors vertically...

I giggled at the fact that I had black bars on top and bottom in this video.

That's awesome looking in some ways, but the 21:9 format makes for some severe stretching where it doesn't work so well.

I'm personally gonna aim for the much more affordable 5760x1080 :P

I've got a crazy idea after watching the video...

Obviously, 3x setup is the bee's knees for racing games, where you concentrate on the middle monitor and use the other two via peripheral vision. So, as explained in this very informative graph by xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1080/

it's totally an overkill to use identical monitors for the peripherals.

So that got me thinking - won't it be interesting if the middle monitor would be full resolution, while the side monitors would have way cheaper panels with the same physical dimensions - we don't need neither the pixel density nor color depth of the middle monitor, and the overall cost/performance hit would go down significantly.

There are several problems on the graphics card side though - a setup like that would require independent FOV settings for each monitor and the composite resolution will be weird... I've seen recent slides from AMD's eyefinity though where they addressed the difference in resolution, but how invested the graphics card guys would be implementing things like that - really hard to say. Seeing how game devs don't even address the UI hurdles with multimonitor setups, I don't really feel confident that we're heading towards this future anytime soon...

Why the hell is this video in 21:9, why the fuck would any youtuber make 21:9 videos, which for most people will be viewed on a 16:9 screen, I expect this shit from movies since they are designed for theaters, not youtube videos.

The video looked awesome on my 34um95, but it would be even better if you guys rendered the video to work at 3440x1440. Video is only running at 2560x1080 :(

Unless the ultra HD option hasn't been enabled by youtube yet.

It would be awesome if LMG could make more videos at a 21:9 ratio. :D

EDIT: LOL complete opposite from what the guy above me said xD

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I really wish linus had tried out euro truck simulator 2. It will look awesome in a surround setup like that

@LinusTech I think its time for triple 4k gaming now  :D

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

now you need load up a modded super mario so you can see the whole level LOL.

Don't forget to turn them all portrait so you scroll facebook ;P

I agree... I  probably won't ever do this, but It is cool as F*K to see the Triple 21:9 Surround! =D

My Gaming Bio thingy?  Anyhow I love co-op gaming so add me.   :) Skype/Origin/Uplay/Steam/Other -> "GuestForeverX"

It's demonstrations like these that keep me from making a purchasing decision that I would regret. I've wanted a multi-monitor setup for a while, but this is a great example of the fact that price/performance is still way out of my bounds and doesn't offer as seamless an experience as I would fantasize it would be meaning even if I spent the money I'd be very dissapointed with the result. Of course this Eyefinity setup is an example of the every extreme end, but it's still a great way to bring the performance expectation back down to reality for some buyers.

Overall a great video.

Well Linus isn't really a pro in driving games. I hope he treats his lambo better then that :/

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

no, NO, oh NOOO!!! :(  :(  :( It's the most saddest news to take, I cannot bear it! Guys, Linus got a cheek tumor/cancer!!! That's what the crowd funding is all about, to pay for his surgery!

People have it in your hearts, please donate! Linus'es life and the life of the company is at stake! :(

post-105239-0-66374400-1417403853_thumb.

post-105239-0-94166600-1417403861.png

no, NO, oh NOOO!!! :(  :(  :( It's the most saddest news to take, I cannot bear it! Guys, Linus got a cheek tumor/cancer!!! That's what the crowd funding is all about, to pay for his surgery!

People have it in your hearts, please donate! Linus'es life and the life of the company is at stake! :(

oh i thought that was a 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Loved the rip on the kid that said Linus needed to do more affordable products.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

My gosh those horrible bezels. My eyes are bleeding.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Damn, I would have liked to see Linus try out ARMA 3 with that setup :(.

Of all the games I recommended, only one of them actually got into the video (Tomb Raider 2013). All that enthusiasm gone to waste. :P

Many thanks for getting this video up. Very informative with the games that forum members picked. Nice to see surround benches with other game besides the norm. 

Also thanks for picking iRacing. Its the game I push the most with my surround setup. 

Good work Linus Tech Team!

First off, damn that would be awesome to surround game on (makes my 3840x1024 jelly). I also want to say I enjoyed the two surround setup vids that have been put out lately. But I gotta ask, how come you guys don't do any surround testing on MMOs? I'd argue they're the biggest use case for a surround setup.

The large open worlds BEG you to have a setup like this.

If its a re-occurring cost issue, I'd say check out copy of Guild Wars 2. Not only is the game sexy, it doesn't have a monthly fee, and speaking from experience, handles surround gaming beautifully.

Even if you don't do GW2, I think at least one showing of an MMO is required for videos like this in the future. :)

Keep up the good work boys.

Pretty embarassing to hear Linus talk about multiple-camera rendering to eliminate distortion and while completely forgetting to turn the option ON at the setting menu.

iRacing has the option, he forgot to turn it on, stretching was very much present.

Quick comparison of two different rendering methods:

sdBLUPm.png

What kind of temperatures did this build have with the R9 290X's?