New amd processors?

I made this thread to gather as much info as possible on the new amd processors.

I will make a new pc in 3-5 years since I recently got one and I wonder will they be able to pull ahead in gaming or will the intel side still be stronger(but more expensive) ?

What do you guys think and what do you know so far about the new processors?

This thread is not for team red vs team blue keep it relevant.

Since I can't remove ignorant/childish comments I ask you to not do it.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

So far the only thing we know (don't have link sorry, just saw it on here once) is that they are getting a new architecture and something about ArmV8 I think

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

AMD would have to spend billions of dollars in R&D to catch up with intel's technology, i don't see that or anything of that nature happening anytime soon. AMD is pretty much done they are focusing on APU and budget gaming consoles they've left the boat of high end CPU long ago with the fiasco that bulldozer was...piledriver was a late attempt at a market they've forever lost i'm affraid.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

AMD would have to spend billions of dollars in R&D to catch up with intel's technology, i don't see that or anything of that nature happening anytime soon. AMD is pretty much done they are focusing on APU and budget gaming consoles they've left the boat of high end CPU long ago with the fiasco that bulldozer was...piledriver was a late attempt at a market they've forever lost i'm affraid.

I don't have a link, but an AMD rep said they are making new FX processors based on a new architecture. Even with how much they've put into R&D for the current FX CPU's compared to Intel, they've got good competition to Intel's CPU's regardless. No, they're not as good, but they're good enough for most people.

They are certainly not just focusing on APU's and consoles, lol.

Intel will still be better than amd in 3-5 years. No matter what AMD does.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't have a link, but an AMD rep said they are making new FX processors based on a new architecture. Even with how much they've put into R&D for the current FX CPU's compared to Intel, they've got good competition to Intel's CPU's regardless. No, they're not as good, but they're good enough for most people.

performance per core on intel's haswell cpu's are over 60% better clock for clock, AMD is no competition to intel, not even close...they've stopped being competitive since the phenom's CPU's.

The Phenom's X6 are in fact faster clock for clock than vishera based FX chips believe it or not...they've made a step backward.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

AMD is comming in 2016 with a new architecture called zen.

It will be a similar design to intels SMT.

I have no idea what that means but it sounds good :-)

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

sounding good and performing good in an efficient way is two seperate things...AMD has always sounded good and looked good: just look at the FX cpu marketing, nice agressive black and red box (they've even shipped them in metal cans at one point) and the name of the CPU : FX ...that is a killer name for a chip...yet they are just slow and power hungry micro-processors.

Personally looking at this I see two companies Intel and AMD. Intel just focuses on the CPU and their "APU" and doesn't do much with the Graphics part of the chip. Where AMD has their feet in may different types of projects - GPUS, APUs, CPUS.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

Personally looking at this I see two companies Intel and AMD. Intel just focuses on the CPU and their "APU" and doesn't do much with the Graphics part of the chip. Where AMD has their feet in may different types of projects - GPUS, APUs, CPUS.

and gaming consoles...which they excel at offering good prices for the parts they put out...the FX line of CPU's are fantastic multi-threading CPU's for someone on a budget looking at rendering videos and editing without breaking the bank...AMD GPU's have always been somewhat cheaper than similar performance nvidia counterparts (yes nvidia is more efficient but if you compare performance to performance AMD is cheaper in most segment)...APU's are to me a waste of time same goes for IGPu they should be included as basic 2d function for office work machine and webbrowsing...anyone doing any kind of 3d on a machine should/will have to consider a dedicated GPU anyway.

sounding good and performing good in an efficient way is two seperate things...AMD has always sounded good and looked good: just look at the FX cpu marketing, nice agressive black and red box (they've even shipped them in metal cans at one point) and the name of the CPU : FX ...that is a killer name for a chip...yet they are just slow and power hungry micro-processors.

I haven't looked much at electricity prices but amd cpu's doesn't use a whole lot more energy it has been proven. 

I don't remember the link though but if you want to look it up, it should be pretty easy to find.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

I see a future as an AMD marketing guru there......"AMD - Good Enough for Most People"

I fundamentally object to that statement. AMD is great for either very specific purposes or VERY budget solutions.....Everybody else should go intel.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I see a future as an AMD marketing guru there......"AMD - Good Enough for Most People"

I fundamentally object to that statement. AMD is great for either very specific purposes or VERY budget solutions.....Everybody else should go intel.

Most people in the world aren't playing games or doing work that requires Intel-like performance - if they are, many of them don't want to spend a ton of money. So yes, it is good enough for most people.

Don't imply that I'm red team, please. I don't associate myself with either side too much because of the blind opinions people form, like you are.

Most people in the world aren't playing games or doing work that requires Intel-like performance - if they are, many of them don't want to spend a ton of money. So yes, it is good enough for most people.

Don't imply that I'm red team, please. I don't associate myself with either side too much because of the blind opinions people form, like you are.

Never claimed you were.....I just found the quote too funny to not make a joke about it.

If people aren't gaming, they should buy intel. Single core performance of an I3 or even something cheaper than that will almost always give a better experience. If you are doing very specific things like heavy duty video editing, AMD would make sense, but I don't see that many other places where it would. Unless you are ONLY gaming, and you want something cheap.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

AMD has currently been focussing on the APU and mobile market, which in my opinion was the right decision for them.They have also said that they are going to start competing with intel again in 2015/2016 :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I still don't understand all this hoora about Jim Keller. He's one man leading a team of engineers who havn't beat Intel since the Athlon 64 days versus a team of engineers who have pushed Intel's IPC consistantly higher every generation.

I can't believe that one man can make up a 60% IPC deficeit in the space of two years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

i'm sorry but if all you're doing is surfing the web, typing documents, and lightly multitasking, you don't need to spend $100 on an i3. 99% of average consumers don't care about the fact that an i3 is 20% faster at opening up excel than an AMD APU.

it's crazy to think you should only go intel for simple tasks on a computer. go for whatever is cheaper

Its not as simple as 20% faster starting excel. I've worked with alot of really budget builds aimed as simple computer tasks and watching videos and the difference with an I3 is very, very noticeable.

i'm sorry but if all you're doing is surfing the web, typing documents, and lightly multitasking, you don't need to spend $100 on an i3. 99% of average consumers don't care about the fact that an i3 is 20% faster at opening up excel than an AMD APU.

it's crazy to think you should only go intel for simple tasks on a computer. go for whatever is cheaper

You are right, I don't.

I can spend $60 on a Pentium G3258 that will be even faster at opening excel.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Whatever AMD fan boys says, Intel is way better for gaming. AMD fan boys are the ones that like to make unfair comparaison between products that aren't made for the same purpose at all. Like comparing Titan cards (double precision focus for professionnal 3D stuff, etc.) with cheap Radeon graphic cards that overheat. They compare 1000$ Intel CPU (5960X) saying Intel suck 'cause 1000$ CPU don't give as much as games performance scaling between this one and mainstream i7 denying at first that 5960X isn't there for gaming but way more about rendering and professional stuff at a beast level. They usally forget about the existence of the i5 because it's about the same price of their most expensive FX series processor which is a fair comparison this time and unfortunatly, i5 is better in gaming on any AMD FX processor to date. If you need the additonnal cores of the FX for rendering stuff, that's another story. Hope you liked my post and hope that make some AMD fan boys hurt :D

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Right now AMD architecture uses cluster based multithreading. Each module can have two threads running but can actually only execute a single thread at a time. Intel uses SMT, which means they can execute two threads at the same time. AMD's shared cache and FlexFPU are SMT, but they dropped the ball on the integer side of things otherwise FX would be some number crunching monsters.

Whatever AMD fan boys says, Intel is way better for gaming. AMD fan boys are the ones that like to make unfair comparaison between products that aren't made for the same purpose at all. Like comparing Titan cards (double precision focus for professionnal 3D stuff, etc.) with cheap Radeon graphic cards that overheat. They compare 1000$ Intel CPU (5960X) saying Intel suck 'cause 1000$ CPU don't give as much as games performance scaling between this one and mainstream i7 denying at first that 5960X isn't there for gaming but way more about rendering and professional stuff at a beast level. They usally forget about the existence of the i5 because it's about the same price of their most expensive FX series processor which is a fair comparison this time and unfortunatly, i5 is better in gaming on any AMD FX processor to date. If you need the additonnal cores of the FX for rendering stuff, that's another story. Hope you liked my post and hope that make some AMD fan boys hurt :D

Goodness. You must really be secure in your purchase of non-AMD stuff.