Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr
19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-- Tread merged with

-- Merged in the Windows 10 Insider thread --

-- Windows Insider features doesn't fit in the Tech News section, as nothing is final, and it it has happened in the past where Microsoft drop features or changes, including at the very last minute.--

Lets hope this is one of those things.  This would be the stupidest change ever.  I'm tempted to go to an insider build so I can tell them how stupid of an idea this is. 

20 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Lets hope this is one of those things.  This would be the stupidest change ever.  I'm tempted to go to an insider build so I can tell them how stupid of an idea this is. 

I don't understand what you don't like. If you have a 2-in-1 device, just the interface adapts better to touch inputs, and now the keyboard shows up for Win32 apps when selecting a textbox (finally), not just UWP apps. You still have Tablet mode if you prefer that.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't understand what you don't like. If you have a 2-in-1 device, just the interface adapts better to touch inputs, and now the keyboard shows up for Win32 apps when selecting a textbox (finally), not just UWP apps. You still have Tablet mode if you prefer that.

They are getting rid of the interface we have now when we press tablet mode.  So instead of it we get the desktop by default with buttons further apart.  The tablet mode we have now will be hidden as a setting.  It's only a matter of time before tablet users are ... like using Windows 7 again.   I am glad that old UI is dead. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what a good future-proof USB Bluetooth Dongle might be? Slim pickings so far for Bluetooth 5 or Class 1 USB devices.

I've decided to try the new feature to make phone calls.
Unfortunately, it seems to be limited to select Samsung and OnePlus devices (hopefully someone can make a Magisk / LineageOS patch for this)

Additionally, my old USB bluetooth dongle doesn't have BTLE

image.png.1c9a9053cb287ba74994787a5209721a.png

image.png.1cb22e7b3630326ee5159b9f5fe12015.png

59 minutes ago, cloneman said:

Anyone know what a good future-proof USB Bluetooth Dongle might be? Slim pickings so far for Bluetooth 5 or Class 1 USB devices.

I've decided to try the new feature to make phone calls.
Unfortunately, it seems to be limited to select Samsung and OnePlus devices (hopefully someone can make a Magisk / LineageOS patch for this)

Additionally, my old USB bluetooth dongle doesn't have BTLE

For phone call, I think normal Bluetooth is needed. That said, I also have the same limitation on both my desktop and Surface Pro 3 (and I also have a Pixel 3a phone).

I also don't have  the option for phone call under "Your Phone" app. I thaught it was in A/B test, and I, as usual, didn't get it.

Finally intresting things... somewhat

New Build 19002

The new Bluetooth connectivity streamline feature is now availible for all insiders. That said, it doesn't work for all Bluetooth devices, only Microsoft recent ones, mainly:

• Surface Ergonomic Keyboard
  • Surface Precision Mouse
  • Microsoft Modern Mobile Mouse
  • Surface Mobile Mouse
  • Microsoft Arc Mouse
  • Surface Arc Mouse
  • Surface Headphones
  • Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard
  • Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse

5f484abd8f965769869f0db867325b32.gif

And also, Microsoft has finally fixed the issue where the acrylic effect only appeared at the end of the Action Center and Start menu animation. See under the "What's fixed' list bellow:

What's fixed:

We fixed an issue that could result in upgrades failing with error 0x8007042b.
We fixed an issue resulting in the acrylic effect in the Action Center only appearing after the Action Center opening animation had finished.
We fixed an issue where with multiple monitors and different DPIs, the File Explorer search box could become enlarged and offset.
We fixed an issue with the search indexer resulting in unexpected files being returned as search results when searching using French (France).
We fixed an issue for Japanese users where the user name in the Settings header wasn’t displayed in the correct order.
We fixed an issue resulting in clipboard history, WIN+(Period), and the touch keyboard displaying English text when being used with non-English display languages.
We fixed a race condition that could result in devices not reconnecting after toggling Bluetooth off and back on.
We fixed an issue resulting in the VPN sometimes not automatically connecting after waking your device from sleep.
We fixed an issue that could result in the brightness getting stuck at 0 or 100% and requiring a reboot before it could be changed.
Text cursor indicator works better in more experiences (e.g. Word, Run dialog, Outlook) now.
The Magnifier centered text cursor option should now work correctly when switching Magnifier modes.
We fixed the mouse pointer visual when using the Magnifier docked mode.
We fixed a bug where Narrator was not saying the state of Scan mode when Edge was opened or closed.
We fixed a bug in Narrator where Narrator sometimes say password twice when focus was in a password edit field.
We fixed a bug in Narrator where scan mode was getting stuck in edit fields in Firefox.
We’ve made some general improvements and bug fixes for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), please see the WSL release notes for details.
If you were one of the Insiders experiencing frequent explorer.exe crashes recently, please go to the Microsoft Store and check for Xbox game bar app updates (specifically version 3.34.4xx should have the fix). If you’re on this app version and still seeing explorer.exe crashes, please file feedback and we will investigate.
Just a heads up that we’re expanding the rollout of the Settings header to more Insiders, so it may now appear for you when it hadn’t before. As always, we welcome feedback about Settings – in the Feedback Hub you can share it under Desktop Environment > Settings.
[ADDED] For devices that were affected by the Dual Scan issue fixed in Build 18999, you will need to disable WSUS on the device or update from an ISO of Build 18999 or higher, which will be released in the coming weeks.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/10/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-19002/#FoTh7kvXuoXgxs5k.97

Latest build has a bad bug - on full screen there is a significant performance hit on GTX 1070 which is running overclocked.

On 18999.1 build the 3Dmark Fire Strike score is ~17000.

On 19002.1002 the Fire Strike score is ~12000

But the thing is - when running benchmarks in windowed mode the performance is normal.

So what could be done to remove the performance hit?

I edit my posts more often than not

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

It's also 2019 why is windows still forcefully trying to connect network drives before actually connecting to a network, it should wait for network connection and then connect network drives instead of giving an error instantly without even trying to retry.

We life in a world where we use a key to open the door not bang our heads repeatly skyrim npc style at the door cos door is locked, im getting so annoyed by every day issues and feedback is completly ignored by Microsoft clearly have to resort to other channels in hopes that some one might agree.

Why don't you have network connectivity when you are login thaugh? Are your network drives requires you VPN access before?

Or is it because your network drivers are c***p slow?

I am asking, because probably this is what they are asking themselves.

Also, include the feedback link, I want to up vote it. I don't have the issue, but I want to help (doesn't hurt trying, maybe other here can help up vote as well).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey! A new build, and finally something new (well, more... substantial'ish...) after ages....

Build 19546

What's new?

Graphing Mode in Windows Calculator

c6dacf6134679d74cfa73d5b0dab18b8.thumb.png.71b84d8245dbb0f41f0605d8f46c9743.png

And the build also allows you to use the new Microsoft Indexer Diagnostics Tools availible from Windows Store:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N25LZCZWGS4

Which allows you to troubleshoot indexing problems related to the OS Search system to better understand what is going on if it doesn't behave right. Microsoft says that they the tool is in Beta, and will continue to be updated.

Read more:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/01/16/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-19546/

There is an update to Groove Music that is being deployed this week. I noticed that it removed the Spotify ad.

• 5 weeks later...

Microsoft is releasing the new Fluent Design icons to its apps!

If you are on the latest build, simply check for updates of your apps through the Store app, and they should be coming!

Another find. If you do Win+H you can fill up text boxes via your voice. You even get Windows 10 Mobile sounds. Try it out!

Also, on this latest Fast Ring build, people on reddit found that Microsoft has fixed the micro shutter issue that was occurring when you have multi-display setup with different refresh rates.

This appeared last week but forgot to mention:

If you open the calendar app, at the top right, you have the option to try the new Calendar app. It introduces a  nicer interface, which I found to be easier to use then before, and looks nice too.

• 3 weeks later...

Installing fast ring build 19577 resulted in worse graphics performance, than with previous builds. About 600 points in Fire Strike (18702 vs 19360)

RX Vega 64

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 2:10 AM, Tan3l6 said:

Installing fast ring build 19577 resulted in worse graphics performance, than with previous builds. About 600 points in Fire Strike (18702 vs 19360)

RX Vega 64

Oh I missed your post. Was there any improvements from the following updates? Sadly, my computer is not really gaming capable, and until I change my computer (hopefully, towards the end of the year), I pretty much game on my Switch.

Big changes are coming to Windows 10.

So, as you may or may not have known, it has been a long time since the Windows Insider program didn't have a leader. We started with Dona Sarkar at the head, then she switch roles to different position within Microsoft, and Gabe Aul too her place, only to leave in October 2019 Microsoft to work at Facebook. During this time Microsoft had another reorg at the top level. Currently Microsoft has merged Surface team with the Windows team. This is huge move as it would mean, in the future, a closer tie to hardware, improving the experience of the OS for specific formats, which in turns means a better experience for desktops and laptops. Who's is at the helm, Panos Pana. Previously, he led the Surface team since the very first Surface, so hardware and experiences with hardware is something he is quite knowledgeable and good manager (clearly indicated by success of the Surface line products). 

The new head of the Insider Program is Amanda Langowski who is one of the prominent pusher of the core idea of the Insider Build program. She is the one who pushed Microsoft to have public be able to get early access to build of the OS while in development, and have community feedback, similarly like open source projects.

After this, once again, fairly boring release of Windows 10, Panos Panay published on Instagram a sneak peek video of what is coming up for the OS under the new direction.

Sadly, the video is ONLY on Instagram, and so the video would make 144p 90's .MOV highly compressed video file  for 56K Modem users look like HD in comparison to it.

We can see that, beside the new icons we started to see, that the company really wants to turn the page on Metro, and go full in on Fluent Design (finally), cleaning up the GUI properly. If you pay close attention, you can also see Windows new File Explorer that is being worked on among other things.

So hopefully, after this release, we will start seeing more exciting features

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh I missed your post. Was there any improvements from the following updates? Sadly, my computer is not really gaming capable, and until I change my computer (hopefully, towards the end of the year), I pretty much game on my Switch.

After rolling back to previous build I opted out from insider builds, so I haven't got the info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear.. I started my Surface Pro 3, logged in, and got a screen (like the OOBE screen) asking to start Office 365 Home Trial.... but I have Office 365 already...

I guess Microsoft wants people to have 2 subscriptions. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 9:59 PM, GoodBytes said:

Oh dear.. I started my Surface Pro 3, logged in, and got a screen (like the OOBE screen) asking to start Office 365 Home Trial.... but I have Office 365 already...

The only thing they want is more money.

the oyer

On 4/10/2020 at 9:59 PM, GoodBytes said:

I think it's a bug with their rollout of the aio office app, I got the same thing the other day. I considered getting it on my phone for ease of use there.

Its looking for the aio so thinks you dot have it.... just my opinion at this point.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I think it's a bug with their rollout of the aio office app, I got the same thing the other day. I considered getting it on my phone for ease of use there.

Its looking for the aio so thinks you dot have it.... just my opinion at this point.

I want to agree with you. But I don't have my hopes up. It is a typical MS thing to do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After some long wait, excitement is here!

Microsoft has a new head for the insider program, a position that was vacant for a long time. Amanda Langowski, a prominent Windows developer at Microsoft who pushed the idea of the Insider Program for years before it was a thing was assigned a few months ago to take charge of the Insider program.

The first thing she is doing is reworking the ring system to turn them into channels instead.

You can read the news post here for more details:

Essentially,

They are now be 3 channels to picks:

• Release Preview (like now)
  • Beta (replaces Slow Ring)
  • Dev (replaces Fast Ring)

And those are defined as:

be63c233f03586473dc5a970f53d284d.png.3a1c7f177996a0d69b5e5f027932c4dd.thumb.png.354a446be97c450c063599fe88959f37.png

Insider will be automatically migrated to the new channel system. If you are on the Fast Ring, you'll be moved to the Dev Channel. If you are on the ring, you'll be moved to the Beta Channel.

It must be noted that under Dev Channel, you'll be getting features that are not planned for release for the coming up version of Windows, but rather 2 or more versions later. Possibly even be axed all together. Beta Channel, is more inline of the old model where features included do target to be released with the coming up version of Windows 10.

Personally, I think it will help having more tester on the "Slow ring" (no Beta Channel), which was an issue before. Heck even Release Preview was neglected. This is also not helped by Microsoft of course, who was focusing more on the Fast Ring than anything else, and Slow ring had to wait a month at best before getting a new build.

On this note, Microsoft released its first 20H2 build for Fast Ring Dev Build! And it actually has interesting stuff.

Build 20150

What's New?

• WSL2 now has; GPU support! As presented in this past BUILD event. You can now use (GPU driver update required) to use your GPU to perform computational tasks.
  • WSL (1 and 2) now features a single command to get started: wsl --install
  • WSL2 Kernel will now be delivered via Windows Updates as a separate update outside of cumulative updates and security updates or, as the old way, waiting for a new version of Windows 10 to be released or manually downloading it and installing it from Microsoft website. So, much better.
    WindowsSettings.png.039ae1ae5e0987b0ace8ce2d9ebecc05.png
  • You can manage the kernel updates via the new command: wsl --update

• Remember the Map app? Well it is finally getting updated, beside a new icon that it already has. Microsoft is migrating Map app to use TomTom map data from their old map provider that was aquired by a car company (This also affects Bing Map). Please note, that this is Map data, the Map app looks the same. But the data (store locations, roads, etc) is being updated. That said, the process is gradual, so you might not see any differences for now from before. So it looks like it is finally getting some love.

Smaller changes and bug fixes:

General changes & improvements

• With this week’s build, we’ll be starting to roll out the new search box on the default app settings pages As part of this, we’ve done some work to improve the performance of the search box.
  • The new Korean IME is now available again for Insiders to use.
  • Based on feedback, we’re updating the text of the Settings > Privacy > Location page to clarify that the icon displayed when your location is being used will be displayed in the taskbar.

Fixes

• We fixed an issue resulting in Visual Studio windows not consistently accepting clicks.
  • We’ve fixed an issue where the Documents and Downloads sections in Settings > Privacy was showing a broken icon next to their name (just a rectangle).
  • We fixed an issue where, if you paused Windows Update while a new build was downloading and then closed Settings, when you reopened Settings the Windows Update page may appear blank.
  • We fixed an issue where updates made when editing VPN networks in Settings might not persist.
  • We fixed an issue where the copy button under Settings > Network & Internet-Status > Properties wasn’t actually copying the content to the clipboard.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the data usage number in Network & Internet Settings not displaying correctly in Japanese if the data usage was less than 1 MB.
  • We fixed a crash some Insiders were experiencing when opening Sound Settings.
  • We fixed an issue where the Optimize Drives window position wasn’t preserved on elevation.
  • We fixed a typo in the group policies under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Component > File Explorer > Do not move deleted files to the Recycle Bin.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the On-Screen Keyboard no longer displaying text predictions.
  • We fixed an issue where double-clicking a OneDrive file in File Explorer might unexpectedly show a notification saying, “Windows Defender SmartScreen is downloading from OneDrive.”
  • We fixed an issue where Resource Monitor could end up showing CPU usage at more than 100 percent.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in qaa-Latn unexpectedly appearing in your list of keyboards after upgrading.
  • We fixed an issue where, with multiple input methods, typing in your password incorrectly on the login screen would result in your keyboard changing back to your default input method (if that’s not what you were typing with).
  • We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard space bar label would disappear when pressing it while using Japanese curve-flick input in abc mode.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in your browser not launching in the foreground after selecting a web link from another app.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in Search not accepting typed input.
  • We fixed an issue where, if pinned to Start, the Windows Security app tile would be missing an icon when the tile was medium sized.
  • We’ve made some updates to improve performance of the Windows Security app if there are a large number of detections.
  • We fixed a few issues that could result in your PC bugchecking.

Known issues

• We’re working on a fix for an issue causing some systems to crash with a HYPERVISOR_ERROR bugcheck.
  • We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
  • We’re aware of an issue where Notepad might fail to reopen files which were automatically saved during a PC upgrade (or restart, if enabled in Settings). Documents can be recovered from %localappdata%\Notepad.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/06/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20150/

Tried the latest Fast insider build 20150.

The screen starting from login and up to signing out was dim, as if brightness was significantly reduced. Rolled back.

My videocard is a AMD Vega 64. Maybe DDU would have helped, but did not try.

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Tried the latest Fast insider build 20150.

The screen starting from login and up to signing out was dim, as if brightness was significantly reduced. Rolled back.

My videocard is a AMD Vega 64. Maybe DDU would have helped, but did not try.

If you are on a laptop, you could have tried to adjust the screen brightness slider in Windows (under the Action Center bar). Move it up and down.

Some laptop uses software to control the laptop display brightness instead of hardware method. The problem via software is that it may be out of sync with reality. Adjusting it from Windows will tend to fix that.