Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr
On 4/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, GoodBytes said:

That indicates that an upgrade block has been put in place. This probabnly because of the issue you faced before and probably you were not alone on it.

You'll sadly have to wait.

My Surface Pro 3 cannot upgrade either to the latest build, WIndows Update shows an error even before it does anything. However, my old desktop ha sno issue. So this may be an upgrade block in place as well. Feedback Hub suggest I am not alone.

so regarding about the upgrade block issue, I've contacted Microsoft on their forum and ran their appraiser PowerShell script and here the result the PowerShell script which I find very weird( and yes,  I did reassign drive letter after I reinstalled windows- between DVD drive and SD card)1896065639_Screenshot(117).png.f8a3b9dc3e5f0911e5c4f82370957a82.png

Update: Turns out disconnecting my SD card allows me to update to the release preview build 

image.png.25c1b3d9d32d92e42b0afe5096288bd9.png

Edited by Yongtjunkit
update info

7 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

so regarding about the upgrade block issue, I've contacted Microsoft on their forum and ran their appraiser PowerShell script and here the result the PowerShell script which I find very weird( and yes,  I did reassign drive letter after I reinstalled windows- between DVD drive and SD card)

Sounds like a bug in the PowerShell script. Or a PowerShell version issue, or the script detected old stuff that is no longer an issue or been removed.

Update: Turns out disconnecting my SD card allows me to update to the release preview build 

So it seems that it PS script did work despite the errors, and the second thing needed was your SD card.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

So it seems that it PS script did work despite the errors, and the second thing needed was your SD card.

Yup I guess Microsoft should make it clearer(it might actually pull the error from the logs ) and since my SD card reader on my laptop is from Realtek I guess it won’t be accurate since it’s still a known issue.

Apparently that also seems like it’s affecting the some surface devices as well, workaround is to remove the SD card before clicking the install/update button(for the feature update) 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually wonder what does this means 

Spoiler

If you have redirected any Known Folders (for example: Desktop, Documents, Pictures), an empty folder with that same name is created in your %userprofile% directory when you update. Your Known Folders are redirected if you chose to back up your content to OneDrive using the OneDrive wizard, or if you chose to keep your content backed up during the Windows Out-of-box-Experience (OOBE). You may have also redirected your Known Folders manually through the Properties Dialog in File Explorer. This issue does not cause any user files to be deleted and a fix is in progress.

link: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/03/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18362/

On 4/18/2019 at 9:17 PM, GoodBytes said:

Sounds like a bug in the PowerShell script. Or a PowerShell version issue, or the script detected old stuff that is no longer an issue or been removed.

I’ve just got a BSOD when I remove my pen drive without doing safety eject 

Guessing the issue is very random as I can’t reproduce it now 

D67CC157-E0C6-48F7-BE7D-3AAC1E22ED0D.thumb.jpeg.d8c9549e7a8a15972a5c00f24849c7cf.jpegF2CD0D81-F451-4F38-809B-3EE7C6F5A498.thumb.jpeg.f46de9c39bda8b373e2c3ba0cd31e79f.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else getting Error on Windows Update for the Windows 10 1903 RTM build? Everything works, but it just refuses to even check for updates and whines that it failed to connect to the update service. Ugh.

Please forgive my ignorance from a hiatus from this topic but the May update is live now? my update is showing fully updated on build 1809 on a non-insider build.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

4 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Please forgive my ignorance from a hiatus from this topic but the May update is live now? my update is showing fully updated on build 1809 on a non-insider build.

I have been fairly busy lately, so I kinda didn't post anything here unless there is some substantial new feature with new builds. I mean the last one, Task Manager now identifies your drive type (HDD or SSD)... yay?! So I didn't bother, unless I have time to do a write up. Usually at the end of a release and beginning of a new one, it is fairly dead on features.

As for your question, yes May 2019 update  (1903) has been released.

More here: 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, SypherSyko said:

Guys help is the green screen of death bad?

It's the same as a BSOD. Microsoft made is Green instead of Blue for Insiders builds to help distinguish reports of kernel panics.

Microsoft reveals the next version of Windows 10, 19H2.

The company says that the update will be mostly performance improvements, bug fixes and polish, or to use the words of Microsoft's Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery:

The next feature update for Windows 10 (known in the Windows Insider Program as 19H2) will be a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features and quality enhancements.

Related to this news, Dona Sarkar, head of the Insider program says to Insider:

• Insiders will need to be in the Slow ring and on the May 2019 Update to receive 19H2 bits.
  • 19H2 will be delivered to Insiders in the Slow ring via servicing as a Cumulative Update and not full build updates.
  • Some Insiders may not see the new features right away as we perform controlled feature rollouts (CFRs) to gain better feedback on overall build quality.
  • Specific to CFRs, we may ship features in these updates turned off by default and turn them on independently of bits getting downloaded to Insiders’ PCs.

So in other words, if you want new features, you need to be on the Fast Ring on this one. If you are on the Slow Ring, you won't see much.

In the past Microsoft said that the company needs more time for the new features, and hence why they moving all in 20H1 update.

This may also explain the lack of big features so far for Fast Ring releases.

Just wanted to point out that Vmware Workstation (Pro) prevents updating on the Fast branch:

image.png.be4ec2fd68aece751a4ec0bdd73cefe9.png

It seems the resolution is to update to Vmware Workstation Pro 15.1.0

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

• 1 month later...

@RuffRuffmcgruff Moving here due to thread lock.

You said: "i press prntscreen and it does a prntscreen so i can copy and then paste that prntscreen if i needed to copy and paste a prntscreen"

ShareX does that too and so much more. You can set it to automatically upload your screenshot to a destination of your choosing. Want it to ask before it does that? check a box. Want it to just take a screenshot and quietly put it on your clipboard when you hit prntscrn? don't check any boxes. 

ShareX is open source, greenshot is not.

18 hours ago, Handmeat said:

You said: "i press prntscreen and it does a prntscreen so i can copy and then paste that prntscreen if i needed to copy and paste a prntscreen"

ShareX does that too and so much more. You can set it to automatically upload your screenshot to a destination of your choosing. Want it to ask before it does that? check a box. Want it to just take a screenshot and quietly put it on your clipboard when you hit prntscrn? don't check any boxes. 

To be honest mate i was trolling a bit, but when it comes to taking a print screen i just want it to do that nothing fancy :)

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

21 hours ago, Handmeat said:

ShareX, is honestly an over complication.

In my book it is another open source project who begs to get people to use it, so it jam packs every feature request it gets without any focus. Now, you need a PhD degree to learn how to use it, in comparison to Windows built-in screenshot utility which has everything that 99% people needs, simple to use, and take a picture in a second.

And despite all the feature it provides, it doesn't have the basics, such as high-DPI aware support. Or even a consistent interface (sub-menus on the side has different interfaces based on the menu items you pick and pop-up panel has a different interface than the program). Like I know that Windows has panels from various periods. But at least everything tend to be consistent within these panels, and is only on rarely used things. ShareX pushes this to a whole new level. It is like every panel is made by someone else, and the community behind the project has 0 guidelines.

Anyway, that is my thaught on ShareX.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In my book it is another open source project who begs to get people to use it, so it jam packs every feature request it gets without any focus. Now, you need a PhD degree to learn how to use it, in comparison to Windows built-in screenshot utility which has everything that 99% people needs, simple to use, and take a picture in a second.

And despite all the feature it provides, it doesn't have the basics, such as high-DPI aware support. Or even a consistent interface (sub-menus on the side has different interfaces based on the menu items you pick and pop-up panel has a different interface than the program). Like I know that Windows has panels from various periods. But at least everything tend to be consistent within these panels, and is only on rarely used things. ShareX pushes this to a whole new level. It is like every panel is made by someone else, and the community behind the project has 0 guidelines.

Anyway, that is my thaught on ShareX.

Firstly, interesting spelling of "thought".

Next, @RuffRuffmcgruff I am aware, I was poking you with a stick.

Thirdly, you're not wrong about it being slightly over-complicated, but I would argue that is part of the charm. You can tweak so many fine details about how it works and that is awesome. My counterpoint would be that it does come pre-configured so you don't actually have to even look at any of those options and it will Just Work for you're average pleb. Now, I do agree that their disorganized and directionless dev community needs to be corralled. 

Finally, as far as the menu options changing depending on previously selected menu options goes: that's simply because of the way it was designed and is not necessarily a bad thing. I use a good number of tools at work that I WISH did just that. I'm actually currently in the process of building an internal tool that will change your options as you use it and that's a good thing. Take almost any video game for example: You have your main menu where you can start a new game, load an existing one, options/settings, and quit. You click on settings and you get presented with audio settings, video settings, and input settings. So on and so forth, you get my point. That is the developer's way of holding your hand and guiding you to what you're looking for without simply presenting you with a config file with every setting there is in some sort of order(or not).

3 minutes ago, Handmeat said:

Next, @RuffRuffmcgruff I am aware, I was poking you with a stick. 

First, @Handmeat I am aware, I was poking you with a stick.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Idk what all the buzz was about the new screenshot tool, I can't see how it performs any different from stock windows?

image.thumb.png.7c25b5b6f235a25de82d3ed5f7c2bc7e.png

(Insiders on left, stock on right)

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

to be honest with you the part that over-complicates things for me is the need for third-party software. I'm pretty okay with what's stock.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/29/20839655/microsoft-new-tablet-experience-windows-10-convertible-hardware-desktop

So it seems that Microsoft insider builds have a new sort of tablet mode where the desktop stays in view and there are a few tweaks to the task bar.  More room between icons etc.   This is a HUGE MISTAKE.  As a user of Windows 8 on a Surface Pro 1 to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2017 LTE (From the Microsoft store, which I'd also take over any Apple store) I LOVE their tablet view.  The tablet view is NOT the problem anyone had with windows 8 8.1 or 10.   The problem with 8 and 8.1 was that they hid the desktop view and made it only tablet view on things which were not tablets, or telephones. 

The problems people may have with windows 10 have to deal with behind the scenes things, forced updates at the most inconvenient time (just when you get started for the day in the morning), telemetry and ads in the OS, and classic MS Edge.  (For many people an OS is just a host for your browser anyway). 

wtf? this is not new at all. my last laptop was a 2 in 1 which could be turned into tablet mode, when I removed the keyboard it automatically did this exact thing. It can be toggled on and off from the desktop.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Considering how tiny the tablet market is these days, I doubt most people care.

Also, posting guidelines time, OP!

Hasn't tablet mode been around since XP days?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

-- Tread merged with

46 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/29/20839655/microsoft-new-tablet-experience-windows-10-convertible-hardware-desktop

So it seems that Microsoft insider builds have a new sort of tablet mode where the desktop stays in view and there are a few tweaks to the task bar.  More room between icons etc.   This is a HUGE MISTAKE.  As a user of Windows 8 on a Surface Pro 1 to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2017 LTE (From the Microsoft store, which I'd also take over any Apple store) I LOVE their tablet view.  The tablet view is NOT the problem anyone had with windows 8 8.1 or 10.   The problem with 8 and 8.1 was that they hid the desktop view and made it only tablet view on things which were not tablets, or telephones. 

The problems people may have with windows 10 have to deal with behind the scenes things, forced updates at the most inconvenient time (just when you get started for the day in the morning), telemetry and ads in the OS, and classic MS Edge.  (For many people an OS is just a host for your browser anyway). 

-- Merged in the Windows 10 Insider thread --

-- Windows Insider features doesn't fit in the Tech News section, as nothing is final, and it it has happened in the past where Microsoft drop features or changes, including at the very last minute.--

Anyone here have tried the cloud download feature yet?

Mine takes forever at 95% image.png.959ee6909c88b3412849988aba1e66b3.png

update: was able to reinstall windows, I just noticed that some fonts were corrupted though