Noctua NH-D15 vs. the H100i

-TesseracT-

I feel like they'd probably not see any significant difference.  When you get to coolers of this quality, it comes down to aesthetics of a water cooler or function and price of an air cooler.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

NH-D15 > H100i with stock fans

NH-D15 > H100i with Noctua fans

NH-D15 > H100i in terms of price

NH-D15 > H100i in terms of noise

NH-D15 < H100i in terms of looks

NH-D15 = H100i in terms of case/components compatibility (H100i slightly wins this one)

did I forgot something?

NH-D15 = H100i in terms of case/components compatibility (H100i slightly wins this one)

did I forgot something?

performance should be similar right?

did I forgot something?

reliability, ease of use

Performance is better with NH-D15, if you get Noctua fans and slap them on H100i then the performance is similar (still lesser) but it will dramaticaly increase the price of cooler.

did I forgot something?

NH-D15 >> larger than H100i

NH-D15 >> larger than H100i

True, thats what I meant by compatibility with case/components. You cant throw radiator anywhere also you cant throw dual tower cooler with 140mm fans anywhere.

no the D15 beats the h100i by quite alot in performance. It also rapes the h100i in noise levels, is more reliable, is cheaper and think the d15 looks better aswell. (but thats an unpopular decision)

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

This isn't a fair comparison you should compare it with the h105 or kraken x41

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Can you fit both in your rig(heatsink height / rad push config)? Do you care for the looks? Do you care for the noise levels? Are you afraid of leaks?

I always go with air cooling but it has it's drawbacks in terms of airflow, size and weight, etc. However, the NH-D15 is so very quiet(for its performance) that I don't even care for the drawbacks.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

This isn't a fair comparison you should compare it with the h105 or kraken x41

price wise that's an easy decision.

@OP: air coolers don't have pumps which can fail, keep that in mind.

who cares...

• 3 months later...

Can you fit both in your rig(heatsink height / rad push config)? Do you care for the looks? Do you care for the noise levels? Are you afraid of leaks?

I always go with air cooling but it has it's drawbacks in terms of airflow, size and weight, etc. However, the NH-D15 is so very quiet(for its performance) that I don't even care for the drawbacks.

Multimonth bump!

I think leaks are the big one.  I know AIOs are pretty reliable now but the reality is they have not actually been out long enough nor sold enough units to get a strong representation of how they are for say a 3 year lifecycle.  I think we got another 5 years before we have a truly accurate measure there.  That said you do not hear a whole lot about them springing leaks so the initial results are pretty darn good here.  

Still there is that potential there.  So you should always ask yourself when considering going with an AIO "If this thing springs a leak in 3 months do I have either the money to replace the parts it takes with it or the ability to wait whatever time it takes corsair or nzxt or swift etc to establish it was their system that is at fault and to replace your parts.  If the answer to that is no.... then perhaps air cooling is the better option for you.  

BTW same reason you should never buy a crappy cheapo PSU.  If it fails it can take parts with it so you want to get the good ones.  

The NH-D15 holds it's own against 280mm rads like the x61 and even the 280l, BUT if you have high heatsink ram - there's compatability issues with the D15, but the D15 doesn't have a pump, so it won't fail in 2-3 years and most Noctua fans have a lifespan upward of 6/8 years.  I say get the D15, amazing performance, silent, runs crisp and cool.  The other bonus is that it competes with -most- 280mm AIO's just like it's 'little' brother the D14.

STAY AWAY FROM THE H100i, I am in the process of moving from my h100i to an nh-d15 in the mail on its way.

It buzzes, the pump is loud and the fans are insanely loud. Clcs are inefficient, to try get the same temps as big air coolers they need to have fans that are much louder and usualy much higher rpms. You will eventualy want to swap the fans out from the h100i, but then you will sacrafice temps because the inefficient h100i needs those loud fast fans.

The only decent clc with noise to cooling ratio is the recent coolermaster 240, but still get's beaten by the nh-d15 on temps and noise. Unless you can find a swiftech h220x/240x(very hard to find in stock) always go with a big air cooler.