Can my network administrator see if i'm using Tor?

I think the title says it all :P

I needed to know whether or not I can use Tor at school to access blocked websites and have my network administrators not see whether or not I'm specifically using it.

Am I safe to use Tor?

It's really the only option I could think of because they've already sniffed out our VPN's.

I'm not doing anything illegal, just to be able to access YouTube, Facebook and the forum :)

Cheers!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

i to was wondering this

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I really doubt it, i mean. Tor just reroutes you through a series of proxies and dns' so i'd imagine you're safe.

And hey! if you're caught. Just say you had to use it because you use facebook for mail or something.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

I tried using it when I was still in school. Wouldn't work for me. Don't know why, maybe it was because I had no idea how to use it. 

If the administrator is any good you wont be able to use it.

Haha, surprisingly it worked :) it did promt me for admin credentials but I clicked cancel and it continued anyway.

So I guess they aren't very good. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Generally good school admins should route their network through their own proxy and block other proxies, I'm surprised tor works, but all is well :3

#!

Generally good school admins should route their network through their own proxy and block other proxies, I'm surprised tor works, but all is well :3

They might. I think their ISP blocks sites though, when i try to access certain sites i get a Netspace block page when not on Tor, Netspace being the schools ISP.

You can use anonymous proxies. That is what I was using last year.

Had a site that refreshed every day with new ones. Though cannot remember it off the top of my head..

You are at school, you may ( it was for me )  find that your screen will get screenshotted every 30 seconds or something. So if you get caught they will look at pics and see what you've been doing.

You can use anonymous proxies. That is what I was using last year.

Had a site that refreshed every day with new ones. Though cannot remember it off the top of my head..

You are at school, you may ( it was for me )  find that your screen will get screenshotted every 30 seconds or something. So if you get caught they will look at pics and see what you've been doing.

Screen shotting is a pretty smart idea 373371_322273374471883_26080136_q.jpg

They very well could Se it, but it being just extra amounts of encrypted network traffic. So they wouldn't really know if you're using TOR or just browsing sites with ssl

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

People always to seem to think that network admins at schools or places of work can't see everything that you are actually doing, but admins can actually see everything you do down to the key strokes. They are called admins for a reason, just like on this forum the admins can see absolutelly everything that is going on or what happens, it is the same way in a network envirenment.

People always to seem to think that network admins at schools or places of work can't see everything that you are actually doing, but admins can actually see everything you do down to the key strokes. They are called admins for a reason, just like on this forum the admins can see absolutelly everything that is going on or what happens, it is the same way in a network envirenment.

That's only true if they have network wide software made to do that. Otherwise they cannot.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That's only true if they have network wide software made to do that. Otherwise they cannot.

If they are running it through a enterprise router, absolutelly everything is loged. All the services, all the IP Addresses, A proxy will allow you to get around a web filter but it still has to go through the router. There does not have to be a piece of software on any of the devices to track.

If they are running it through a enterprise router, absolutelly everything is loged. All the services, all the IP Addresses, A proxy will allow you to get around a web filter but it still has to go through the router. There does not have to be a piece of software on any of the devices to track.

Unless the administrator has set up flags, then hardly any of them check logs, could you imagine one network admin going through 1000s of logs per day? then again, all the network admins I know have set up flags at university, the network admins at primary schools that I know, don't even bother lol.

#!

Unless the administrator has set up flags, then hardly any of them check logs, could you imagine one network admin going through 1000s of logs per day? then again, all the network admins I know have set up flags at university, the network admins at primary schools that I know, don't even bother lol.

You are absolutelly right, everything is logged and admins normaly set flags for things like using a different proxy than what the network is supposed to use, or like bandwidth flags for single devices.

But i was answering the original question of admin tracking.

you said that they track everything down to keystrokes, their is no router that can track keystrokes, sorry, it just doesn't exist. Also, if your using TOR, it'll just show up as encrypted network traffic, the exact same as if you were browsing an https site.

15" MBP TB

If you are using any Cisco Router all traffic is still logged, and if they are flags the proxy will be seen and the https data will still be shown. And if they are using a proxy like Tor https is not directlly supported. Also Cisco routers will say https sites in plain text, and the keystrokes it true in the respect of the network, and you have to be dumb to actually believe that people like my self can't actually track everything that the users that we are administering.

You are absolutelly right, everything is logged and admins normaly set flags for things like using a different proxy than what the network is supposed to use, or like bandwidth flags for single devices.

But i was answering the original question of admin tracking.

Would Tor set off these flags? The reason they cought us using vpn's is because somebody ratted, yes they have logs i know, but they told us not to install vpn's on friends laptops, this sets off my flag because that's exactly how this spread. We'd also been using vpn's for a long timeso why they catch us now?

Ps: Using Tor from school at the moment and no SWAT team :P

Use PeerBlocker. Religiously.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Sure. If the Tor Project can make a webpage detect it, then so can a network admin.

Use PeerBlocker. Religiously.

Ermagerd! This is awesome! If i use this with anti p2p will it disable them from sniffing my shit?

Ermagerd! This is awesome! If i use this with anti p2p will it disable them from sniffing my shit?

Probably not people on the same network as you, but it will block 99.9999% of connections to your IP that is trying to identify your traffic.  The 0.0001% would be sniffers erected within the past 6 hours. It's not foolproof, since it works off a known IPs list.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Internally, no. It stops communications with known known peers to be either malicious or part of people who want to find pirates, mainly the latter.