So I have a MSI 290x Lightning and I have noticed my GPU usage is at 100% constant when playing games like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Arma 3.

I wanted to know if 100% Usage will degrade the card or not with the temps under control. I've searched online for an answer but people say its good or bad.

Can someone give me a clear answer as this has been bothering me since I've put together my new system.

BTW I have a 4670k @ 4.5GHz if that tells you anything.

EDIT: Its only during gaming. During Idle its 0-1%.

EDIT 2During the Tomb Raider benchmark I get an average of 84 FPS. So I limited the FPS using MSI Afterburner to 60 and the usage is still at 100%.

Usage won't degrade anything, you should be happy because you're getting the full potential out of your graphics card =D (unless it doesn't need all the horsepower)

Is it constant 100% or just for game loading and or very small periods?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Is it constant 100% or just for game loading and or very small periods?

Constant, doesnt go down to 99.

Also I accidently posted this twice, I don't come here often, is there a way for me to delete one of the posts?

While Gaming its perfectly normal and is expected to be at its maximum usage.

More GPU usage the better when playing Games.

When Idle, if its still got its 100% usage then something is wrong.

If it backs off in idle, then its normal.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Also I accidently posted this twice, I don't come here often, is there a way for me to delete one of the posts?

Just report your own post, say that it;s a repost and a moderator will delete it.

Oh, replied to your other one before I saw this one.

While Gaming its perfectly normal and is expected to be at its maximum usage.

More GPU usage the better when playing Games.

When Idle, if its still got its 100% usage then something is wrong.

If it backs off in idle, then its normal.

During the Tomb Raider benchmark I get an average of 84 FPS. So I limited the FPS using MSI Afterburner to 60 and the GPU is still 100%. Is that normal as well?

The moderators will do that for you. Have checked to see if the Power management mode setting?

Does it stay at 100% at idle?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's completely possible that you have some sort of virus/trojan/malware that is forcing your GPU to 100%.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The moderators will do that for you. Have checked to see if the Power management mode setting?

Isn't that a NVIDIA feature? Where would I go to find that?

Does it stay at 100% at idle?

No only during gaming, I just think if I have my FPS limited, wouldn't that put some stress off my system? Also I don't know if this helps but I have my Power settings on windows to Balanced (Which I think only affects CPU).

It's completely possible that you have some sort of virus/trojan/malware that is forcing your GPU to 100%.

Its 0-1% on idle.

So I have a MSI 290x Lightning and I have noticed my GPU usage is at 100% constant when playing games like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Arma 3.

I wanted to know if 100% Usage will degrade the card or not with the temps under control. I've searched online for an answer but people say its good or bad.

Can someone give me a clear answer as this has been bothering me since I've put together my new system.

BTW I have a 4670k @ 4.5GHz if that tells you anything.

It's like saying GPU's are candle. Hahaha. But no man, good thing it's using 100% of your card's power. You have great card BTW. :D

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Its 0-1% on idle.

Well that's out then.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It's like saying GPU's are candle. Hahaha. But no man, good thing it's using 100% of your card's power. You have great card BTW. :D

So 100% GPU Usage for an extended amount of time is okay? My fan does go up from inaudible to quite noticeable when I go into a game which makes me think my GPU is working too hard.

Another thing, would it be okay if its running at 75-80 degrees constantly when gaming? I want to reduce my fan speed to keep the noise down and thats what I think the temps will be.

No only during gaming, I just think if I have my FPS limited, wouldn't that put some stress off my system? Also I don't know if this helps but I have my Power settings on windows to Balanced (Which I think only affects CPU).

Limiting fps does not add any stress. If it doesnt stay at 100% during idle then you can be relieved you dont have a mining virus :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So 100% GPU Usage for an extended amount of time is okay? My fan does go up from inaudible to quite noticeable when I go into a game which makes me think my GPU is working too hard.

Another thing, would it be okay if its running at 75-80 degrees constantly when gaming? I want to reduce my fan speed to keep the noise down and thats what I think the temps will be.

Yep it's okay . Mine always runs at 100% load whenever I play games. And my temps go up at about 85c.(32c ambient temp). As for the fan speed you can control it. And set it manually. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Limiting fps does not add any stress. If it doesnt stay at 100% during idle then you can be relieved you dont have a mining virus :)

I wanted to relieve some stress by limiting FPS. Is my logic incorrect?

I wanted to relieve some stress by limiting FPS. Is my logic incorrect?

Yes :)

If it still stays at 100% then dont worry too mucha bout it if you are getting decent playable fps

But if you want you can try updating your video card drivers to see if it solves the problem. It shouldnt be running at 100% just because of a game... Its not bad for the card, but it will get hotter and use more power :(

Spoiler

See if this helps you. It has been about eight to nise years since i have used CCC.

Check this too.

100% is normal

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock