Elon Musk unveils the Dragon V2

What do you guys think about this? Is this the future? Personally, I think yes because SpaceX is basically the only innovator in the market. Nobody else seems to be able to really advance anything in the spaceflight sector. I'm really hoping to see this happen soon.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I've already got one, they get boring after the first few trips into space.

Colonization of mars will happen, just not like in the movies and only if we don't annihilate ourselves first.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Definitely the future. SpaceX said they had plans for a 21st century spacecraft, and they actually built it. Russia is still using Soyuz, and while it works damn well, there hasn't been any innovation. NASA can't do jack because the government gives them little and regulates the whole show. SpaceX being private also means they have a large incentive to bring the cost down, making space accessible. I personally will be lining up for a ticket, whether it be on Dragon 2, 3, 4, or whatever, cos that looks pretty luxurious too.

Anyone that doubts the importance of space flight is forgetting the impact it made the 60/70

the spin offs from space technology are endless. 

Colonization of mars will happen

We just need to ready our double barrel shotguns and BFGs and we'll be fine.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

We just need to ready our double barrel shotguns and BFGs and we'll be fine.

Our downfall is that we cannot use a light at the same time as our gun :( RIP in peace everyone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I feel like we as a people group have bigger problems than space travel.

Sadly the American gov. seems to agree with you on that,that's why NASA struggles to get funds.

And no we do not, 99% of our world's problems are caused by people being people= ignorant stupid and closed minded. That's not something we'll fix anytime soon, however space exploration is a huge motivator in advancing technology. So it'll bring more than just real-estate on mars.

Sadly the American gov. seems to agree with you on that,that's why NASA struggles to get funds.

And no we do not, 99% of our world's problems are caused by people being people= ignorant stupid and closed minded. That's not something we'll fix anytime soon, however space exploration is a huge motivator in advancing technology. So it'll bring more than just real-estate on mars.

I'd think it's because of the opinions of an overly entitled minority mattering more than the actual needs of the majority, with "advanced democracies" actually listening to those little twats. Not everyone's as dumb or stupid as you make them out to be. Heck, 56% of our problems is because western styled education systems are so anti-learning and pro-rationalization of the irrational.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I'd think it's because of the opinions of an overly entitled minority mattering more than the actual needs of the majority, with "advanced democracies" actually listening to those little twats. Not everyone's as dumb or stupid as you make them out to be. Heck, 56% of our problems is because western styled education systems are so anti-learning and pro-rationalization of the irrational.

Well played sir. I guess I just lost faith in humanity. Musk is working on bringing it back though.

In reality, beyond war and nuclear annihilation, the biggest problems Earth faces is running out of energy and over population.

Colonizing a planet/moon would help alleviate population problems (I'm not saying ship the poor to the moon. That'd be a god awful thing) but also we can rape a new world for it's resources, and maybe the Earth can recover for a little while

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I feel like we as a people group have bigger problems than space travel.

True, while space travel is not the most pressing issue a suprisingly large amount of consumer technology that we have today is a direct result of a spin off of space technology, so the doe help further our technology as a society, which can help us solve those pressing issues that we have. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

We as a species will find the answers to most of our problems in space, even the answer to bringing us together as a species. The thing is that we make sure that Colonizing the universe isn't only left to the wealthy, that it's open to everyone. 

that interior reminds me of the pagani huayra

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Aaarg, so many goosebumbs!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Honestly, I can't see this coming anywhere close to Skylon in terms of innovation. There is already lots of information about Skylon on the internet so I will only link a couple. In short, it is a spaceplane that has the ability to run countless shuttle missions to low earth orbit in one day. It can land like a plane and take off a runway too, so the infrastructure is already in place. It is a SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit) vehicle which means that nothing falls off it and has to recovered separately, like the boosters on the Dragon V2. The Dragon V2 seems to be obsolete already.  The first flight of Skylon is scheduled to be in the next two years.

Here is the link to their website: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/     

These are it's applications: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/space_skylon_caps.html

This is the technology driving Skylon: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/sabre.html

And finally, this video sumarises it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bkjiGGy0g

Definitely the future. SpaceX said they had plans for a 21st century spacecraft, and they actually built it. Russia is still using Soyuz, and while it works damn well, there hasn't been any innovation. NASA can't do jack because the government gives them little and regulates the whole show. SpaceX being private also means they have a large incentive to bring the cost down, making space accessible. I personally will be lining up for a ticket, whether it be on Dragon 2, 3, 4, or whatever, cos that looks pretty luxurious too.

Why? It looks like a plastic baby seat. I'll probably be waiting till it costs 10x more then an airplane ticket before my interest is piqued.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nice, Can't wait to see it in action bringing people to space.

Honestly, I can't see this coming anywhere close to Skylon in terms of innovation. There is already lots of information about Skylon on the internet so I will only link a couple. In short, it is a spaceplane that has the ability to run countless shuttle missions to low earth orbit in one day. It can land like a plane and take off a runway too, so the infrastructure is already in place. It is a SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit) vehicle which means that nothing falls off it and has to recovered separately, like the boosters on the Dragon V2. The Dragon V2 seems to be obsolete already.  The first flight of Skylon is scheduled to be in the next two years.

Here is the link to their website: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/     

These are it's applications: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/space_skylon_caps.html

This is the technology driving Skylon: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/sabre.html

And finally, this video sumarises it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bkjiGGy0g

Yes, this is obviously superior to the Dragon, but it is very much in the future. This thing is far from taking off. Dragon is already such a huge improvement from what we have today.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

This is odd, I used the search function as we were told by Windspeed. Not sure why this happened. Sorry about it.

• 1 year later...

What do you guys think about this? Is this the future? Personally, I think yes because SpaceX is basically the only innovator in the market. Nobody else seems to be able to really advance anything in the spaceflight sector. I'm really hoping to see this happen soon.

If the Space Shuttle and Apollo had a baby, the Dragon V2 is it. It has the versatility of the Space Shuttle in a form factor that's similar to Apollo's Lunar Module. Sorry if this sounds degrading, but it still means it's cool.

This topic is over a year old. If you want to continue the discussion, please start a new topic in the appropriate subforum.

HTTP/2 203