Best Headphones under $125

Hipstair

What is the best set of headphones under $125? Thanks in advance!

-Hippeminecraft

For that you could get the SRH440 and the 840's pads, which make for a much better headphone then the M50. 

What is the best set of headphones under $125? Thanks in advance!

Depends are u going to be using them for monitoring or gaming. The ATH-M50s's arent very good for gaming but one of the best for studio monitoring and music.

Monitoring and Music - Audio Technica ATH-M50s

Gaming - Sennheiser HD558

Depends are u going to be using them for monitoring or gaming. The ATH-M50s's arent very good for gaming but one of the best for studio monitoring and music.

Except for all the other cheaper ones that get used more.

ATH-M50s's arent very good for gaming but one of the best for studio monitoring and music.

"one of the best for studio monitoring" lol, unless you can compensate for the overdone bass, nope

just for music, it's preference. some like more bass, some like more mids.

stuff that is better for monitoring: Sony MDR-V6 and 7506, Shure SRH440 with 840 pads (or without if you like hard, cheap pads). plus these are better for gaming

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

"one of the best for studio monitoring" lol, unless you can compensate for the overdone bass, nope

just for music, it's preference. some like more bass, some like more mids.

stuff that is better for monitoring: Sony MDR-V6 and 7506, Shure SRH440 with 840 pads (or without if you like hard, cheap pads). plus these are better for gaming

And this is why nobody likes the audio sub forum

M50's are marketed as studio monitoring headphones, which they don't really do a good job of, you can't deny that. and saying M50's are one of the best headphones for music is assuming everyone else likes the sound of them, which is not happening.

M50's are marketed as studio monitoring headphones, which they don't really do a good job of, you can't deny that. and saying M50's are one of the best headphones for music is assuming everyone else likes the sound of them, which is not happening.

You are assuming that im assuming that, so please stop proving my point, done with this thread, not dealing with the typical audio sub forum "1 upper".

You are assuming that im assuming that, so please stop proving my point, done with this thread, not dealing with the typical audio sub forum "1 upper".

Doesn't your pattern get old pretty fast? The 'I posted something - someone doesn't agree with me - I'm done with this thread' pattern? 

Doesn't your pattern get old pretty fast? The 'I posted something - someone doesn't agree with me - I'm done with this thread' pattern?

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. Its the way they disagree, no need to be a blatant "(words I cannot say on this forum)" about it.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. Its the way they disagree, no need to be a blatant "(words I cannot say on this forum)" about it.

Audio is far too subjective to say "these are the best headphones ever", but when it comes to studio monitoring it's about having a flat headphone, that is where the M50's fail, there are better options for less. I don't see how my post was offensive in any way. Besides, ShearMe also said there are cheaper headphones that are used more, and he quoted the monitoring / studio part about your post, and you didn't say anything about that.

Let's try to be objective and talk some logic here. M50 got quite a bit of sound coloration. Pleasant ones, which make it fun to hear, maybe, but nevertheless, still coloration. For one, the bass on M50 is quite high, like you can see in the M50 frequency graph here:

graphCompare1_zpsf1b51c90.jpg

As you can see, the low frequency got boosted to about +8dB. Take a fairly flat song, and you'll get boosted bass. You may like it, can't blame you, it's individual preferences. But imagine if it's used as a studio monitor for music productions. It will 'report' a song with 0dB in the low frequency as +8dB. So what would the monitoring guy do to correct the situation? Yep, turn the low frequency down 8dB. What would that give him? You guess it, -8dB, from what should have been a perfectly balanced low frequency song. In other words, songs produced by using the M50 as a monitoring headphone would sound 'bass-less'.

That's just talking about the bass, haven't got to the substantial drop in the higher frequencies. Now you tell me, how would it qualify as 'one of the best studio monitoring headphone' ?

I hope you get the idea....

You just made my day sir.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/headphones/headphones_cat.pl?select_multiple_3=Professional%20Studio%20Monitor I mean Audio Technica themselves states them as "Professional Studio Monitor".....just saying :D

Let's try to be objective and talk some logic here. M50 got quite a bit of sound coloration. Pleasant ones, which make it fun to hear, maybe, but nevertheless, still coloration. For one, the bass on M50 is quite high, like you can see in the M50 frequency graph here:

graphCompare1_zpsf1b51c90.jpg

As you can see, the low frequency got boosted to about +8dB. Take a fairly flat song, and you'll get boosted bass. You may like it, can't blame you, it's individual preferences. But imagine if it's used as a studio monitor for music productions. It will 'report' a song with 0dB in the low frequency as +8dB. So what would the monitoring guy do to correct the situation? Yep, turn the low frequency down 8dB. What would that give him? You guess it, -8dB, from what should have been a perfectly balanced low frequency song. In other words, songs produced by using the M50 as a monitoring headphone would sound 'bass-less'.

That's just talking about the bass, haven't got to the substantial drop in the higher frequencies. Now you tell me, how would it qualify as 'one of the best studio monitoring headphone' ?

I hope you get the idea....

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/headphones/headphones_cat.pl?select_multiple_3=Professional%20Studio%20Monitor I mean Audio Technica themselves states them as "Professional Studio Monitor Headphones".....just saying :D

My troll has obviously failed here.

New beats versions are making a come back on Head-Fi now that all the marketing hype is wearing off.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/headphones/headphones_cat.pl?select_multiple_3=Professional%20Studio%20Monitor I mean Audio Technica themselves states them as "Professional Studio Monitor".....just saying :D

u wot m7

-____________________________-

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089