Sad day, current gfx cards are going out...

Nattan

Well i have been running two  4870x2 's since 2008, 5 years later one of them is starting to die on me ( graphical errors, starts up with full fan speed and unresponsive). Its been a good run but the main reason I am posting this is because I would like your suggest for my replacement.

I am currently running (3) 120 hz acer monitors off these two cards and I am debating if I should go with two 7970 ghz's or a gtx titan. ( may also get 1 6GB 7970 ghz from sapphire)

Current usage:

-I dont really plan to play games with 3d vision, I got the monitors because I wanted to v-sync games at 120 fps ( 5760x1080 resolution )

-I want to game over all 3 monitors I know both amd and nvidia can do this

-I would want a quiet card(s)

I have always gone with amd after my first nvidia card died on me 1 week after the warranty was up, but lately I am starting to consider it after seeing the reviews and I have to admit that 6GB ram(titan) looks sexy enough. the main thing that made me really consider switching to nvidia again was the discussion that linus had about nvidia having "less stutter" I am not sure of the exact term they used but it would be nice.

I am not concerned about price/performance, I just want a quiet set up that can handle gaming over 3 monitors and that would hopefully at least last me another 5 years

Questions:

- Why which card(s) would you pick and why?

Edit:

instead of messing with qoutes ill just post requested info here:

cpu: i7-3930k

Q: why dont you get a 7990?

A: over heating issues

Games I have/Do play:

-border lands

-SC2

-D2

-LoL

-D3

-Guildwars

-An assortment of steam games ( mostly older stuff )

-Civilization V

-fallout series

i guess one time games: ( one play through )

-tomb raider

-dishonored

-metro

-assassins creed

-crysis series

-mass effect

Games I am looking to try eventually

-bio shock series

-left for dead

-skyrim

Programs I use that use graphics rendering:

-Photoshop

-Auto cad

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

How about dual 670's? Pretty awesome performance and cheaper than a single titan. 

I wouldn't go with crossfire hd 7970ghz until amd has fixed the frame latency problems. And I don't think that the sapphire one is the right one because you won't benefit from the 120hz panels because it isn't powerfull enough to render such high framerates at that kind of a resolution.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

For 3ple monitor gaming you should better go with AMD. But Crossfire lately has some issues with framrates. There is a Prototype driver is going to fix that problem dramatically. Why don't you consider getting a 7990. This card is a beast! Also a Titan is not a bad idea but AMD has better support for 3ple monitor gaming as I said. Hope I helped you.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

A single titan won't be able to push 120fps on 5760x1080 in recent games.

AMD's Eyefinity solution to a 3 monitor display works much better than nVidias solution.

I currently run three monitors from an AMD card with no issues.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Titans aren't really designed for 1080P gaming. They do work, but are designed for higher resolutions like 2560 by 1600. I don't own a Titan, but based on what I've seen, I wouldn't suggest spending 1000+$ on a graphics card that is not geared towards the resolutions your wanting to play at. 

I would suggest two higher end cards, like a 670 or 680. As long as you have the power to run both of them.   

Dual 4gb 670's is what I'd buy :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Crossfire 7970 should give you better performance I guess.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Go for 2 670's, they are monster cards

Cpu: 5820K @4.0GHz   Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI    Ram: Patriot Signature 16GB @ 2133   GPU: Gigabyte G1 980  Soundcard: ASUS DX  

Speakers: Logitech Z906 and Astro A40's   Keyboard: Logitech G510

Im running a radeon 7970 sapphire 3gb and I cannot even hear the card running even if its under load. So in terms of noise level its pretty good but I don't run dual monitors like you do.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

7970 or 7990. Drivers are getting fixed and since you now crossfire already, i would go with it agan

Good news everyone...!

gtx 780 is going to be released later this month

its as rumors says based off gk110 but with 3gb vram(see full specs here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14549-leak-nvidia-enthusiast-graphics-roadmap/ )

2 of them would be imo enough for 3 monitors

whats your cpu? You dont want to get bottlenecked now would you

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

4-way Titans have been benchmarked and even they can't break 100fps on modern games at max settings @ 5760x1080 (Crysis 3 only got up to about 60fps). Technically though, 2-way Titans can get more than 120fps in games at that resolution but the graphical settings have to be turned down quite a bit.

no reason for you to rush and buy last year gpu when the new series gtx 700 & 8000 is going to be released this year

you said your not gaming alot so i dont see why you want them right now

be patient :) you wont regret waiting dude

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

no reason for you to rush and buy last year gpu when the new series gtx 700 & 8000 is going to be released this year

you said your not gaming alot so i dont see why you want them right now

be patient :) you wont regret waiting dude

i said 3d gaming, i do game on this system but not major first person shooters. I stick to RTS, MMO, and do some renderings with photoshop and cad

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

anyway just wait

Uhm, i believe he said that his one GPU is on his way out...so he clearly needs something new right now and can't wait!

As for that i would go with a 7970 or a 7990. If you go with a 7970, you can add a second 7970 later. Most Games would run pretty decent on a single 7970 with 5760x1080...but problably not with 120 FPS on the highest settings.

Also you get better OpenCL support on AMD cards (although IIRC Nvidia has CUDA, wich hasn't that great support in Photoshop). And if you are playing Tomb Raider, there is no question about it: Go wih AMD.

Good news everyone...!

If your running multi monitor then AMD is the way to go.

2 670 are pathetic compared to 2 7970 in terms of performance.