Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

What's next? Facebook buying Tesla Motors? :(

Don't give Zuckerberg any ideas! Between Disney, Facebook, and possibly Google buying up everything us geeks cherish, I would at least like there to be one single awesome car company still around.

Don't give Zuckerberg any ideas! Between Disney, Facebook, and possibly Google buying up everything us geeks cherish, I would at least like there to be one single awesome car company still around.

Its not going to happen. Elon Musk would NEVER let this happen.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

At least Google and Disney aren't as bad. 

COMIC SANS

RIP Rift.

Seems like the founder got a check from Kickstarter and now he turns to Facebook for more...

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Its not all bad. VR Farmville could be awesome!

Now... how do I convey sarcasm via text???

Italics. everyone knows its italics

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

At least Google and Disney aren't as bad. 

Fair point. I'm not entirely sure, but if it wasn't for Disney, there wouldn't be an Episode VII. So we can give credit where credit is due. I would like to see Tesla stay where it is and become a much bigger player in the North American car industry.

After getting a glimpse of the details of the Facebook-Oculus acquisition in a Reddit post along with the Engadget reports, I am rather conflicted on whether this is a good thing or not. For all we know this could be like Google and Motorola. Sure they gave some insight on a lot of aspects, but in general I think Google let them do their own thing and if anything became a better company because of it. But this is Facebook and not Google so who the hell knows whats going to happen. Zuckerberg seems to think its like Instagram, but it is a different technology. Time will tell. 

fuck. oculus and facebook. fuck, again.

The only good thing is this:

We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

So it lets us hope they first do the oculus-gaming shit like they would've done before but now there will be a hard-not-to-find facebook share button / layover similarly to the steam community layover but with, well, facebook EVERYWHERE. If they don't screw up. If they do, prepare your anuses. For facebook ads. Ingame.

OH GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???????

OCULUS WOULD HAVE MADE MORE MONEY THAN THAT IN THE FIRST TWO YEARS!! BY FAR!!! YOU JUST SOLD THE GREATEST THING TO COME IN NEAR FUTURE TO A DATA-WHORE!!

NOOO!!

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

To some this means a lot to them so, its not surprising their going apeshit right now. I'm sure they'll grow out of it(I hope).

Here have some art from "Hyouka" for your troubles.

I think Chitanda-san's curious.

Chitandas-gaze.jpg

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

This is a darkest day for mankind. I just hope that somehow they sell oculus to someone like valve after some time like google did with mototrola.

Well it looks like my mula that I set aside is going on something else! When will Facebook die?!

C64, MOS 6510 0.985MHz, 64kB RAM + 20kB ROM, 320x200 resolution, 16 colours! <----BEAT THAT! ;P

I wasn't really too interested in the oculist rift but still, WHY Facebook? Why does Facebook need a vr headset? I would have rather Google or Microsoft have it rather then Facebook.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

..and the flood of farewells begins.. Minecraft exits development.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/25/5547864/notch-says-he-wont-work-with-creepy-facebook-following-oculus-rift

I should add that I had a recent bad feeling about Facebook. Had them before but let it pass. Premonition. I killed my profile a few days before this BS. hmmm...

Hey,

As one of those Kickstarter supporters, I was certainly unsure what to make of the announcement. But clearly, the folks at Oculus had to see some kind of logic here... beyond the money, presumably. They just released an announcement to Kckstarter supporters explaining their rationale. Here is an excerpt from that announcement:

"At first glance, it might not seem obvious why Oculus is partnering with Facebook, a company focused on connecting people, investing in internet access for the world and pushing an open computing platform. But when you consider it more carefully, we’re culturally aligned with a focus on innovating and hiring the best and brightest; we believe communication drives new platforms; we want to contribute to a more open, connected world; and we both see virtual reality as the next step.

Most important, Facebook understands the potential for VR. Mark and his team share our vision for virtual reality’s potential to transform the way we learn, share, play, and communicate. Facebook is a company that believes that anything is possible with the right group of people, and we couldn’t agree more.

This partnership is one of the most important moments for virtual reality: it gives us the best shot at truly changing the world. It opens doors to new opportunities and partnerships, reduces risk on the manufacturing and work capital side, allows us to publish more made-for-VR content, and lets us focus on what we do best: solving hard engineering challenges and delivering the future of VR."

Will be interesting to see where this goes, I think.

Should note too, that, whether wishful thinking or just being positive, others have been noting in other discussion groups that an infusion on 2 billion dollars sure could take VR places it could not otherwise have reached, and far faster, had this not happened. So, maybe a bit of fingers crossed and whistling past the general ick factor of Facebook?

Edited by Zuu111

I'm personally glad that this is happening.

VR is a bad idea, the Occulus Rift is just a ridiculous gimmick that should end up in the trash can with the wii-mote and kinect.

Zuckerberg is going to make it so that your grandma can come over and just start talking to you while you're gaming with OR. :o  You heard it hear folks.

Zuu111 nothing that was said and shared with Kickstarter supporters makes me feel any better about this. Heck what they said makes me want to be sick as it basically says gaming is second in the grand scheme of things for Oculus and that is not what I want.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHY FACEBOOK why do you have to have everything....

I'm pretty sure the selfie notifications are going to be more scary then the games. 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

OH DEAR GOD NO NO NO NO NO NO

"I have the perfect cure for a sore throat, cut it" - alfred hitchcock

What would be a smart thing for people to do is cancel their DK2 orders and tell Facebook to pay for the research and development. Tell them if they want their new toy to go play with it but not on the consumer's dime. Seriously people cancel your Dk2 orders!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S