Is active PFC UPS crucial for gaming pc?

So I had just upgraded my old cpu to a gaming custom built one

Specs, 

Ryzen 5 3600 

CORSAIR 16gb

GTX 1660 S

Antec vp550, 550 w

The problem is that my ups no longer backs up my cpu. Not even 1 sec. My ups is 600VA standard with no pure sine wave ac... 

And my psu has active pfa

So should I purchase a higher va ups, or a 600va with active pfa (the latter is quite expensive so). 

I've read a few articles on needing active pfa ups, but not sure if that's the issue here 

Ps: I only need backup for a couple of minutes. My flat has its own generator, but theres a time delay when that turn on during blackouts... 

Depends on the psu. I have lots of active PFC psus that work fine on non sinewive ups and inverters, but some don't. Looks like in your case you need a sinewave ups

1 minute ago, SAV_abishek said:

Ive read some conflicting info on the subject. Some have stated that depending on the PSU even if its Active PFC it may work with a non Active PFC UPS. I my self have a PC with an Active PFC PSU and I bought an Active PFC UPS. Yes they are more expensive but at least I know Im not going to destroy my PSU or at least the UPS will work to power my PC. 

Secondly if your current UPS did work to power your PC. Keep in mind that batteries dont last forever. I had to replace my battery in my UPS after about 3 years. So if its no longer surviving when the power goes out, it could be a dead battery. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

UPS for protecting your system? Yes if you live in a country with really unstable electrical supply, it can help a lot. Otherwise no.

UPS for protecting data? Yes if you can lose money or project progress that really matter to you. If you can save often and it’s a mild inconvenience then no it’s not worth it.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ive read some conflicting info on the subject. Some have stated that depending on the PSU even if its Active PFC it may work with a non Active PFC UPS. I my self have a PC with an Active PFC PSU and I bought an Active PFC UPS. Yes they are more expensive but at least I know Im not going to destroy my PSU or at least the UPS will work to power my PC. 

Secondly if your current UPS did work to power your PC. Keep in mind that batteries dont last forever. I had to replace my battery in my UPS after about 3 years. So if its no longer surviving when the power goes out, it could be a dead battery. 

Alright i'll just consider getting an active psu ups 

Because, based on your 2nd point, my ups does back up my home theater system along with my TV and router, which I suppose adds up close to 500w... 

Anyways thanks mate

I think it would only be important if you live in an area that is notorious for getting power outages. The large majority of gamers have probably never even thought of the idea of having a UPS for gaming.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think it would only be important if you live in an area that is notorious for getting power outages. The large majority of gamers have probably never even thought of the idea of having a UPS for gaming.

Depends on the type of UPS (backup, Line interactive, on line. For example in the past I used to get lots of electrical surges. Which is why I got a  line interactive UPS. Come to find out the electrical wires connecting the house to the grid were loose. Now that its fixed, I dont get many issue. Also the second thing is electrical surges are not only caused by the utility, devices within the home can also cause surges. Then add in the fact that brown outs can happen. The UPS can protect from more than just outages. 

A more crucial question to ask would be, is a UPS necessary for a gaming PC.. 

Apart from my work not getting saved, would it cause any damage to my pc... 

The power outages in my area is only a couple of times per week 

1 minute ago, SAV_abishek said:

Apart from my work not getting saved, would it cause any da

Like I said in a previous post. I bought one due to surges. I killed a hard disk because of an electrical surge. My Air Conditioner compressor kicked off and it cause a surge. My PC froze up and come to find out my drive was dead. Line interactive UPS's protect you from more than just outages, they protect against surges better and brownouts. 

Is s ups really necessary for my gaming pc.. 

I mean, apart from my work not being saved, would there be any damage caused to any components of the pc? 

Ps: the power outages in my area is only couple of times per week 

6 minutes ago, SAV_abishek said:

Apart from my work not getting saved, would it cause any damage to my pc... 

The power outages in my area is only a couple of times per week 

I guess that a couple of times a week could be enough to get me to invest in a UPS. My area might get one once a year.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

UPS for protecting your system? Yes if you live in a country with really unstable electrical supply, it can help a lot. Otherwise no.

UPS for protecting data? Yes if you can lose money or project progress that really matter to you. If you can save often and it’s a mild inconvenience then no it’s not worth it.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't post multiple times about same subject. Also moved to Cases and Power Supplies.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Wow.. This thread is a mess.

51 minutes ago, SAV_abishek said:

So should I purchase a higher va ups, or a 600va with active pfa (the latter is quite expensive so). 

I think you mean PFC.   Pretty sure all UPSs have APFC for their charging circuits.  If it didn't, it wouldn't make any difference.

I think you mean either a pure sine output UPS or an online UPS (opposite of an offline or line interactive UPS which are passive, e.g. only provide power to the PC when the mains goes down.

51 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the psu. I have lots of active PFC psus that work fine on non sinewive ups and inverters, but some don't. Looks like in your case you need a sinewave ups

MOST, if not all modern, PSUs work just fine with PSUs with APFC.  Think about it.  In the EU, PFC has been mandatory for 10 years.  90% of consumer UPSs are simulated side wave (aka step wave, etc.) and nobody is returning their UPSs in droves.

52 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Precisely.  If the old UPS didn't have a pure sine wave output and worked with your PSU, it wouldn't all of the sudden decide not to work with another UPS with simulated sine wave.

12 minutes ago, Caroline said:

just FYI, 600VA isn't the same as 600W

Precisely.  Wattage rating is usually about 60% of the VA rating because they'll take into account that you MAY NOT BE using an APFC device and therefore, will subject the UPS to a higher VA.  A 600VA UPS is usually only capable of supporting about 350 to 400W.