Asus tuf rtx 3080 OC

Go to solution Solved by FaxedForward,
10 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

Also are you saying the 3080 Asus TUF OC crashes for your to desktop??

I checked my 3090 Asus TUF (non OC) and it all the smaller capacitors, not a single larger one.

Crash issue has now been proven to be present on all cards including MLCC capacitor cards. Certain cards with all SP-CAPs may not help the issue but it’s now been replicated across the board. It’s suspected to be a driver issue at this point.

so does that guy have a card with larger caps or smaller ones?

the TUFs I have seen have the smaller caps, not a single larger one

1 minute ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

its not about whether i believe you or not. my original ask was for only people who own the card to respond. 

I was responding to the other guy with the 3090 who says cards with the small capacitors don’t crash (proven to be false).

I think at this point you are just going to get yourself frustrated as this thread has already derailed, but long story short every 3080 has problems so unless you want to be a beta tester just don’t buy one right now.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

2 minutes ago, Exeon said:

The example, (which I cut) isn't really a reference to show what the game really needs, benchmarks are different, does the development team feel these are recommended for 60, or 144fp? you simply cannot know.

If you look at each card I feel like they just copy/pasted the actual VRAM from the recommended card, since it matches every card.

This could be a reason to wait, but it could also have the opposite result, if AMD can't match the 3080 you will see a massive flood of even more demand for the 3080, it won't change MSRP, it will change the market price though.

Looking back at the 1000 and 2000 series AMD was nowhere near the high end, NVIDIA could ask any price and people still bought the 2080TI

The 2080TI albeit having an MRSP at 999$ was sold for anywhere between 1200-1400$/€

It's going to be tough finding anyone who own's the card seeing how there isn't stock anywhere.

I ordered one, though it's the non-OC version, the OC was nearly 100$ more for me, so not worth it.

yes its gonna be hard finding someone who owns the card. would be alot easier if all these people actually learned to read and if they didnt own a card didnt respond as it gives no valuable information i dont already know. ive watch most of the videos on youtube and completely understand all cards are doing it. i was asking from a consumer to a consumer point of view not a reviewer who gets the card for free. 

Just now, FaxedForward said:

I was responding to the other guy with the 3090 who says cards with the small capacitors don’t crash (proven to be false).

I think at this point you are just going to get yourself frustrated as this thread has already derailed, but long story short every 3080 has problems so unless you want to be a beta tester just don’t buy one right now.

forums in general very frustrating and hard to get your questions actually answered. but i want comments from actual owners of the cards so i will try and hold out to see if either one responds. 

3 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

All production TUFs have small caps.

The caps are not the cause of the crash.

All 3080s are having crash issues regardless of caps and manufacturer.

The actual cause is still being determined but it is suspected to be driver or core clock related.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

1 minute ago, FaxedForward said:

All production TUFs have small caps.

The caps are not the cause of the crash.

All 3080s are having crash issues regardless of caps and manufacturer.

The actual cause is still being determined but it is suspected to be driver or core clock related.

see this is productive thanks. its fustrating because asus pictures show the bigger caps but you are say they have all smaller, jayztwocents i believe also said it has all smaller caps. 

either way if the caps are not a issue then i hope its fixable soon. 

9 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

the original design with 6 big caps never circulated for the tuf, it's gonna be sought after until other AIBs update their cards to match regardless of what the problem is, there's a small chance that the problems are hardware related which would be yikes. Not sure yet atm. The crashes are frequent.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

9 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

see this is productive thanks. its fustrating because asus pictures show the bigger caps but you are say they have all smaller, jayztwocents i believe also said it has all smaller caps. 

either way if the caps are not a issue then i hope its fixable soon. 

It seems MOST of the AIB partners took marketing photos using early prototypes. ASUS changed the design to all MLCC before production so they are very sought after right now. EVGA also added some (but not all) MLCC after problems in early testing. Conflicting reports on MSI and others so right now people want ASUS (confirmed MLCC) and EVGA (broke the silence to confirm their approach which nobody else has done) more than anything else.

The TUF is a great buy for a lot of reasons, not just the caps (really great cooler design as well, and it’s not hideous like some cards). So you can probably feel safe buying the TUF as soon as you can get one for a price you like. But for all we know the crashing is related to the silicon due to the problematic Samsung 8N process and we haven’t even seen how deep this can of worms is yet. Or maybe it’s just a buggy driver. Kind of a coin flip.

Maybe just buy it and keep your old card just in case ;)

4 minutes ago, FaxedForward said:

It seems MOST of the AIB partners took marketing photos using early prototypes. ASUS changed the design to all MLCC before production so they are very sought after right now. EVGA also added some (but not all) MLCC after problems in early testing. Conflicting reports on MSI and others so right now people want ASUS (confirmed MLCC) and EVGA (broke the silence to confirm their approach which nobody else has done) more than anything else.

The TUF is a great buy for a lot of reasons, not just the caps (really great cooler design as well, and it’s not hideous like some cards). So you can probably feel safe buying the TUF as soon as you can get one for a price you like. But for all we know the crashing is related to the silicon due to the problematic Samsung 8N process and we haven’t even seen how deep this can of worms is yet. Or maybe it’s just a buggy driver. Kind of a coin flip.

yea im buiding a new system should be good to buy in a couple months. hope things get all figured out by then. i hope its a driver issue. i dont have a old card im using a cheap labtop which i cannot game on as it takes to long to load which is why im so anxious about buying something that could have problems. ive been buying asus tuf components for a long time. my last build was a 9700k as a asus tuf rtx2070 which got ruined in a flood. the gpu and mobo i buy is usually asus tuf memory is usually corsair vengence lpx non rgb because of the quality without rgb. psu is usually corsair with the link because i like the corsair software. fan controller is corsair commander pro because of software as well. i try to buy from as little amount of brands as possible to limit the amount of bloatware in the pc. also i hate rgb and if i can avoid it i will. i plan on taking apart the asus tuf card and see if i can disconnect the rgb light lol

You should get it because it's the only non-reference PCB design that has a waterblock that you can purchase at MSRP. All the reference PCBs are from some manufacturers that I have never heard of before, so if you don't trust Asus, probably can't trust these other manufactures that I've never heard of before. Get the non-OC version and put a waterblock on it, overall would cost the same as the OC, and overclock it to get performance better than the OC version.

Just now, Yoshi Moshi said:

You should get it because it's the only non-reference PCB design that has a waterblock that you can purchase at MSRP. All the reference PCBs are from some manufacturers that I have never heard of before, so if you don't trust Asus, probably can't trust these other manufactures that I've never heard of before. Get the non-OC version and put a waterblock on it, overall would cost the same as the OC, and overclock it to get performance better than the OC version.

sorry i dont do watercooling. so that serves so purpose for me. ive chosen the asus tuf rtx3080 Oc card im just waiting to see when will the issue go away

3 hours ago, FaxedForward said:

from pauls hardwares latest video seems like the crash only happens when people are trying to push the card above 2ghz clock speed is this true

Just now, truckerlenny1990 said:

from pauls hardwares latest video seems like the crash only happens when people are trying to push the card above 2ghz clock speed is this true

According to every report for every card that has crashed, yes. That is the only thing that has been confirmed to always be linked to the crash.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

3 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

According to every report for every card that has crashed, yes. That is the only thing that has been confirmed to always be linked to the crash.

so if i dont overclock the card the stock out of the box gpu boost etc wont crash the card?

Just now, truckerlenny1990 said:

so if i dont overclock the card the stock out of the box gpu boost etc wont crash the card?

For a TUF, that is correct. (it can even handle overclocking basically anything but the core) For other cards, that isn't guaranteed.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

3 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

For a TUF, that is correct. (it can even handle overclocking basically anything but the core) For other cards, that isn't guaranteed.

excellent i dont overclock anyways so none of this issue concerns me anyways

11 hours ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

excellent i dont overclock anyways so none of this issue concerns me anyways

You might want to try overclocking the VRAM a bit. It can improve performance for no actual additional cost to the system.

2 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

You might want to try overclocking the VRAM a bit. It can improve performance for no actual additional cost to the system.

I don’t over lock at all. I might try turning on XMP but other than that nope. I will adjust fan curves but that’s not over clocking

16 hours ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

I don’t over lock at all. I might try turning on XMP but other than that nope. I will adjust fan curves but that’s not over clocking

XMP is the exact same thing as VRAM overclocking, just pretested on some setups and saved as a profile on the hardware.

There is not one single 3080 that has been reported to have less than +800MHz capability for overclocking their VRAM to stable limits, so if you wanted to play it safe, you could do +400MHz.

Nvidia just released a new driver today. Didn't mention the 3080 but they already released a new driver not even a month ago.

The game recommendation for 11GB is a recommendation.  Its possible they didn't even know about 10GB cards and just knew there was better performance with more than 8GB (at ultra too).

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

35 minutes ago, ewitte said:

The game recommendation for 11GB is a recommendation.  Its possible they didn't even know about 10GB cards and just knew there was better performance with more than 8GB (at ultra too).

which game recommends 11gb of vram

16 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

which game recommends 11gb of vram

The next Watchdogs game that comes free with the 3080. It recommends a 2080TI, and they derived all card recommendations from the card specs rather than from actual hardware use stats.

10 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

The next Watchdogs game that comes free with the 3080. It recommends a 2080TI, and they derived all card recommendations from the card specs rather than from actual hardware use stats.

its recommends a 1060 or higher and 6gb of v ram a 3080 is higher. a 3070 is the same (supposedly) as a 2080ti more vram doesnt equate to more performance. do you think a 16gb 3070  will outperform a 3080 i dont think so nvidia wouldnt do that

10 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Watch dogs legion recommends a 1060 and 6 gb of vram

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/watch-dogs-legion/home