I HATE proprietary video codecs!

Sarra

So, we have a rat problem. One got under the house and died, so during the worst fire in the history of Oregon, we have no AC, and no way to filter the air in our house. If we turn the AC on, it smells like rotting rat.

As an attempt at finding where these little bastards are getting under the house, we repurposed a Wildlife Innovations trail camera. I set it for Video, put it on a tripod, and got a test video.

I cannot open the test video. It's a .avi but there is no possible way to get the codec from Wildgame's website. They literally do NOT have a 'support' section. They sell a smartphone adapter, but I will not be using it. I've searched for wildgame innovations video codec, video player, and anything else that I can think of, but everything goes to cnet which is basically a slideshow program for stills. IE, useless AF.

So, does anyone know which codec this uses? I've got VLC installed, but it refuses to open the .avi files, and I'm at a loss...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Are we supposed to guess?

How about you upload a short clip (add as attachment here in a zip file, up to 20 MB I think)

It may be just a standard xvid or motion jpeg with a changed FOURCC signature (so you could add a registry key to get it to play with  a standard codec like h264 or mjpeg)

Is this a deliberate DRM scheme to make you buy their accessories, or just something caused by crap design?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

50 minutes ago, Sarra said:

It's a .avi 

40 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Is this a deliberate DRM scheme to make you buy their accessories, or just something caused by crap design?

42 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Are we supposed to guess?

How about you upload a short clip (add as attachment here in a zip file, up to 20 MB I think)

It may be just a standard xvid or motion jpeg with a changed FOURCC signature (so you could add a registry key to get it to play with  a standard codec like h264 or mjpeg)

47 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what error does vlc give? 

Try tools like ffmpeg to read the metadata about what codec there is.

AVI is a fairly standard code most players should have no issues with (yes VLC is a good choice)

That also explains why there is no codec to download on their site because why would it when it's widely supported by many players.

Edit: VLC should work...

Reinstall make sure all codecs get installed, not sure that is weird. Post a screenshot of the files. Also error code from VLC or otherwise if there is one.

PS: just checked windows 10 built-in video player plays avi too.

So if it doesn't that's certainly weird.

You can also try renaming to .mp4.

That too works for me, no issues.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

AVI is a container, just like MP4 or MKV.

Inside the container you can have video tracks , audio tracks, subtitles etc... video tracks can be encoded with a codec (ex mpeg2, h264/xvid/divx , h264/mpeg4 avc, vp8, vp9, av1, motion jpeg, cineform etc etc) , audio tracks with another codec (ex uncompressed wav, flac, mp3, aac, opus, wma) , subtitles with another codec (ex srt, sub, ssa)

A video player may be able to play AVI files but may refuse to play one file if it doesn't support the video or audio codec that was used to encode that specific track or if you have no such codec installed on your computer.

The codec required to decode a track is specified with a signature called FOURCC inside the AVI file ... ex it's h263 or xvid for mpeg4-asp aka xvid/divx. See https://softron.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207695697-List-of-FourCC-codes-for-video-codecs

If they changed the fourcc code to something custom, it's possible a video player won't play the video file even though the player may actually support decoding that encoding method, simply because the player doesn't know that custom fourcc code is equal to that codec.

16 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

AVI is a fairly standard code most players should have no issues with (yes VLC is a good choice)

@mariushm that's a good explanation, so one would need to change this

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

FOURCC

signature and it should (might) work?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

This is why I have a Mac that can do pretty much all codecs 

so can windows. its just down to program support for them.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

so can windows. its just down to program support for them.

But with a Mac I can just convert it into a friendly codec out of box and ship it off wherever. Did it for a friend.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?