SoftBank to sell Arm Holdings to Nvidia; Update: It was just officially announced!

EJMB
18 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Pretty sure Apple wasn’t stupid enough to pour billions into their ARM compatible designs without some sort of perpetual licensing agreement already in place, especially with Macs moving to said CPUs. I’ve been wrong before though. 😛

It's almost a certainty due to Apple's founding interest in ARM that they have some kind of perpetual licence to all ARM CPU IP. If they didn't, they would have bought ARM first. A lot of the tech that Apple buys, ends up in the iPhone, but not really anywhere else. (The tech that runs the Xbox 360 Kinect was bought by Apple quite a while back, and the only thing using it is the iPhone cameras for ARKit. This is one piece of tech that Microsoft fumbled in an incredibly incompetent way, and Apple managed to make standard in their iphone's without increasing the price.) 

All I'm saying is that I think Apple was probably approached first because Softbank saw it as the biggest piggy bank. nVidia buying it is probably a better option, in so far that at least it's a chip company that probably has designs on the tech. However it's almost certainly going to run into some regulatory hurdles. Probably some prohibition on tearing up existing contracts between ARM and existing licences, or a requiring nVidia to licence CUDA to it's competitors so that it can't have a monopoly on GPU compute.

7 hours ago, porina said:

Could they have a go at the smartphone SOC market? I'd love a gaming focused chip, big on GPU. Would be great in a gaming tablet which is an area I think is overlooked.

Already exists,the Nintendo switch is using an Nvidia SOC with a Maxwell GPU in it:

Tegra X1 Architecture

x1arch.jpg

Model
number
Process CPU GPU Memory Adoption
Processor Cores Frequency Micro-
architecture
Core
configuration1
Frequency GFLOPS
(FP32)
GFLOPS
(FP16)
Type Amount Bus
width
Band-
width
Availability
T210 TSMC 20nm Cortex-A57 +
Cortex-A53[104]:753
A57: 4
A53: 4[104]
A57: 1.9 GHz
A53: 1.3 GHz
GM20B
(Maxwell)[104]:14
256:[104]16:16 1000 MHz 512 1024 LPDDR3/LPDDR4 8 GB[104] 64 bit[104] 25.6 GB/s Q2 2015
T214 TSMC 16nm 1267 MHz[105] 649 1298 LPDDR4/LPDDR4X Q2 2019
TM660M ? Cortex-A57 4 1.428 GHz GM20B
(Maxwell)
128:16:16 921 MHz 236 472 LPDDR3?/LPDDR4:773 4 GB (8?) 64 bit March 2019

Devices[edit]

Model Devices
T210 Nvidia Shield Android TV (2015 & 2017), Nvidia Jetson TX1 development board,[106] Nvidia Drive CX & PX, Google Pixel C, Nintendo Switch (2017)[107][16]
T214 Nvidia Shield Android TV (2019), Nintendo Switch (2019 model, HAC-001(-01)), Nintendo Switch Lite
TM660M Jetson Nano
A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Apple is a co founder of Arm Holdings, the company set up in the 90s however Apple played no role in the creation of ARM as an architecture.

The current company, the one SoftBanke are selling was co funded by Apple.  Previous iterations of ARM was not in question here.

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Already exists,the Nintendo switch is using an Nvidia SOC with a Maxwell GPU in it:

Tegra X1 Architecture

I was looking forward to a future refreshed chip. Things have moved on since that was released.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

31 minutes ago, porina said:

I was looking forward to a future refreshed chip. Things have moved on since that was released.

For now the newer Tegra SOCs are primarily manufacturered for the Car and Robotics industries.

The newest version has a Volta GPU,

And there is a new Ampere version expected to be released soon.

Nvidia also sells them in cards like graphics cards for their developer kits:

Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit

Maxwell version (109,00 €)

Jetson Nano

Volta version (399 USD)

Jetson Xavier NX

Yep,for some reason the prices appear to me in different currencies on the same page when i try to buy from Nvidia.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

29 minutes ago, Vishera said:

For now the newer Tegra SOCs are primarily manufacturered for the Car and Robotics industries.

I forgot those existed, most likely as they were likely marketed at AI uses, not so much gaming. Still, we can only wait and see what the future brings. I really don't want to get another iPad when my current one has reached the end of its usefulness.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

21 hours ago, Vishera said:

Nvidia also sells them in cards like graphics cards for their developer kits:

Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit

Maxwell version (109,00 €)

Jetson Nano

Volta version (399 USD)

Jetson Xavier NX

Yep,for some reason the prices appear to me in different currencies on the same page when i try to buy from Nvidia.

Yeah if future ARM-based SoCs/APUs in Nintendo and potentially other consoles isn't something like this on steroids, I don't know what is:

Tensor/Machine-Learning/AI Performance & Accompanying Accelerators:

Spoiler

9pS4jrE.jpg
LTCA5CV.jpg
VQUvULd.jpg
a9wgpdH.jpg
kVYo76b.jpg.

It's pretty easy to imagine Nvidia replacing the "Vision Accelerator", "Deep Learning Accelerator", and some of the I/O area on-die with RT Cores or better yet ~ integrating a new class of cores that can process both Tensor and RT workloads.

Further, comparing the Tegra X2 and AGX Xavier to the PS4 Slim paints a plausible picture where Nintendo's next generation console 1-2 years from now (given they stick with Nvidia and Nvidia releases an Ampere-based gaming grade APU) will have just over a 1-1.5 teraflops of raw CUDA compute with additional performance boost through DLSS 3.0/4.0 and ray-tracing on par with the RTX 2080.

2 minutes ago, Results45 said:

given they stick with Nvidia and Nvidia releases an Ampere-based gaming grade APU

They already announced an Ampere based SOC,should be released soon.

5 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Yeah if future ARM-based SoCs/APUs in Nintendo and potentially other consoles isn't something like this on steroids, I don't know what is:

~snip~

The AGX has the same SOC as the Jetson Xavier NX,

And next gen consoles will be more powerful than those SOCs.

7 hours ago, Results45 said:

Tensor/Machine-Learning/AI Performance & Accompanying Accelerators:

Reveal hidden contents

9pS4jrE.jpg
LTCA5CV.jpg
VQUvULd.jpg
a9wgpdH.jpg
kVYo76b.jpg.

It's pretty easy to imagine Nvidia replacing the "Vision Accelerator", "Deep Learning Accelerator", and some of the I/O area on-die with RT Cores or better yet ~ integrating a new class of cores that can process both Tensor and RT workloads.

Further, comparing the Tegra X2 and AGX Xavier to the PS4 Slim paints a plausible picture where Nintendo's next generation console 1-2 years from now (given they stick with Nvidia and Nvidia releases an Ampere-based gaming grade APU) will have just over a 1-1.5 teraflops of raw CUDA compute with additional performance boost through DLSS 3.0/4.0 with ray-tracing on par with the RTX 2080.

I think it would be quite amusing if Nintendo did a sudden reversal and launched a console that smacks around the PS5/whatever Microsoft calls their Xbox. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

History in the making: Si-Five slaps it back.

the new RISC-V architecture is designed to enable different classes of performance, efficiency and features through a boon of highly-configurable parameters.

When it comes to supercomputers, the updated RISC-V instruction set allows for a combination of scalable vector processing with Linux-capable superscalar multi-core processor designs.

The new processor cores also include a complete implementation of the latest RISC-V Vector (RVV) extension that enables a unified processing and development environment for scalar and high-performance vector processing applications.

SiFive is planning to demonstrate its first PC-oriented SoC called Freedom U740 at the Linley Conference. This new SoC comes complete with an expanded development environment that allows for the creation of RISC-V applications from bare-metal to Linux-based systems, including porting all existing server-grade applications. PCs with various form-factors can benefit from the heterogeneous mix+match core complex features of the new FU740 SoC.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/SiFive-announces-new-RISC-V-processor-architecture-plus-its-first-ever-desktop-PC-processor-in-response-to-Nvidia-s-plans-to-dominate-the-server-market.494053.0.html