Adding more storage looking for $/TB while avoiding the crap

LOST TALE
Go to solution Solved by LOST TALE,

Thanks everyone. I bought the WD40EZRZ as it's the cheapest and clearly CMR.

It does appear to have some warranty issues as its OEM. Seems hit or miss from the reviews with failure events.

So I've been following https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/

and there's so much more crap to go through now that I didn't have to years ago.

Crap such as:

The reselling of used hard drives.

Massive shipping costs not shown on pcpart picker.

SMR without making it clear it's SMR.

So have any of you gone through this process and have reached a recommendation?

Let's help each other where we are best at PC hardware.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just shuck externals. 

shuck=?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

3 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

shuck=?

not deal with them

NM, i was thinking of it as slang. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, LOST TALE said:

shuck=?

As in: Remove the plastic case so you can install the standard 3.5in drive inside your system.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

4 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

shuck=?

take the Seagate 8TB desktop external drive, remove the case and pull the Sata HDD out for use. 
I've done this a few times with the 8TB ones for my NAS, only writing to them occasionally for adding media and then lots of reads so SMR isn't a huge issue. 
best part is these 8TB drives go onsale for $185 CAD all the time

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

there is the 16tb seagate EXOS enterprise. thats .03$/GB. IDK how much it would be to ship.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, LOST TALE said:

shuck=?

s h u c c

you remove the hard drive from an external drive housing, like a WD passport or similar. kinda tossup on WD externals as iirc theres red label drives and white label drives, and white is smr. not a super crazy storage person so i dunno there. external hdds are usually much cheaper as theyre marketed towards a different audience and you can sometimes get them under 15 bucks per tb

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

shuck=?

Opening them up and removing the drives inside. They aren't particularly high quality drives, but they are cheap.

Wow a lot of people explained that in a very short time

Edited by BobVonBob

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

6 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

SMR without making it clear it's SMR.

So have any of you gone through this process and have reached a recommendation?

If you want a HDD without SMR, you're basically looking at NAS drives (not including the WD Red), such as the Red Plus, Red pro, Ironwolf (Pro), etc. or high end desktop drives like the WD Black or Toshiba X300.

Most 'normal' desktop drives like the WD Blue, Seagate Barracuda or Toshiba P300 are SMR.

Or of course shucking external drives is possible too; just gotta make sure the connectors are not soldered onto them (which I don't know if they do it on 3.5" drives, but that was kind of a thing on some 2.5" WD external drives).

/r/datahoarders probably has some good info on that :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, minibois said:

If you want a HDD without SMR, you're basically looking at NAS drives (not including the WD Red), such as the Red Plus, Red pro, Ironwolf (Pro), etc. or high end desktop drives like the WD Black or Toshiba X300.

Most 'normal' desktop drives like the WD Blue, Seagate Barracuda or Toshiba P300 are SMR.

Or of course shucking external drives is possible too; just gotta make sure the connectors are not soldered onto them (which I don't know if they do it on 3.5" drives, but that was kind of a thing on some 2.5" WD external drives).

/r/datahoarders probably has some good info on that :P

Since when were they all SMR? Was it so 8 years ago? Isn't SMR the thing where it has to rewrite over a lot of things sometime to fit in new data?

12 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

white is smr

*looks at the six WD white label drives on my desk, all of which aren't SMR*

White label drives are just the ones WD didn't bother putting a fancy label on. They can be anything, really; not anything for sure.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

Just now, AbydosOne said:

*looks at the six WD white label drives on my desk, all of which aren't SMR*

White label drives are just the ones WD didn't bother putting a fancy label on. They can be anything, really; not anything for sure.

whoops lol, i recall people throwing a fit on reddit about white label ones but redditors throwing fits about things aint new haha. ngl i cant even remember which one between smr and cmr are better, i have no use for that kinda ridiculous storage. i have a 4tb backup and havent even backed up my <1 tb amount of stuff lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

Since when were they all SMR? Was it so 8 years ago?

Unfortunately I don't know that.

SMR is something I have only been looking into since Linus did a video on it couple years ago. Now that I need a new drives + the WD Red thing I have been looking a bit more into it; so all my info is rather recent.

Isn't SMR the thing where it has to rewrite over a lot of things sometime to fit in new data?

Yes.

There is no penalty on reading, it can still do that normally.

But when it needs to write something when there is already another shingle written overtop of it, it needs to read that shingle, write it in cache, write the thing you are actually writing and then rewrite the shingle it had to save somewhere.

Of course if the shingle overtop had another shingle overtop there, and that one another overtop.. etc. it can be very slow.

Random write operations could take very long, which is why it is not fit for certain heavily random workcases.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Unfortunately I don't know that.

SMR is something I have only been looking into since Linus did a video on it couple years ago. Now that I need a new drives + the WD Red thing I have been looking a bit more into it; so all my info is rather recent.

Yes.

There is no penalty on reading, it can still do that normally.

But when it needs to write something when there is already another shingle written overtop of it, it needs to read that shingle, write it in cache, write the thing you are actually writing and then rewrite the shingle it had to save somewhere.

Of course if the shingle overtop had another shingle overtop there, and that one another overtop.. etc. it can be very slow.

Random write operations could take very long, which is why it is not fit for certain heavily random workcases.

I'm totally fine using it for Archiving and moving files to another drive for active use but I'm very worried that it'll well take forever for something at some point even thought I'm not actively working on anything on it.

Where can I tell if a drive is CMR or SMR? ok checking manufacturer website seems to work.

Thanks everyone. I bought the WD40EZRZ as it's the cheapest and clearly CMR.

It does appear to have some warranty issues as its OEM. Seems hit or miss from the reviews with failure events.