Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Gassy Gnome

Microsoft vs Deepfake Tech

Posted · Original PosterOP

Microsoft are developiong technologies to combat and identify deepfakes with goal being to "combat disinformation".

"The software analyses photos and videos to give a confidence score about whether the material is likely to have been artificially created."

"Microsoft has also announced a separate system to help content producers add hidden code to their footage so any subsequent changes can be easily flagged."

Great article from the BBC, referenced below.

Not sure what kind of impact this may have. Deepfakes are being used for memes and p*rn already and I wonder if this kind of tech will help combat, for example, in political campaigns where 3rd party actors are trying to influence results by creating fake perceptions and fake 'leaks' that are actually deepfakes. Once that content is viewed and convinces someone, how would that hosting platform deal with that? Surely you'd need this MS technology to scan the video upon upload, not after it can already have an impact?

Thoughts from you guys on how this tech could be implemented to reduce impact?

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53984114

SETUP:

R7 2700X OCd @ 4.15Ghz all cores (water)

2x8GB Corsair Vengence PRO OCd @ 3533mhz [18-20-20-20-40]

RTX 2080ti OCd @ +150 core, +700 memory (water)

Asus X370-F Gaming

SCORES:

Cinebench15: 1785  1883 (Aug 2020)

Cinebench20: 4136  4243 (Aug 2020)

3DMark/Time Spy: 10,238 13,106 13,993 14,149 (Sep 2020)

good. deepfakes are awful and i applaud Microsoft for this. 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 3210M | 16GB RAM500GB SSD | macOS

PC: Intel S5520HC | 2x Xeon E5620 | RX 4608GB RAM500GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Ubuntu 20.10

@A Gassy Gnome please update your topic to meet the posting guidelines.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

also Microsoft: "dont like this piece of news that has reached public? Pay us and we'll report it as a deepfake"

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

also Microsoft: "dont like this piece of news that has reached public? Pay us and we'll report it as a deepfake"

Doesn't google already offer that service? I know Twitter does.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Saw this coming haha. Neat. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10