Microsoft vs Deepfake Tech

Noctua Fan Fan

Microsoft are developiong technologies to combat and identify deepfakes with goal being to "combat disinformation".

"The software analyses photos and videos to give a confidence score about whether the material is likely to have been artificially created."

"Microsoft has also announced a separate system to help content producers add hidden code to their footage so any subsequent changes can be easily flagged."

Great article from the BBC, referenced below.

Not sure what kind of impact this may have. Deepfakes are being used for memes and p*rn already and I wonder if this kind of tech will help combat, for example, in political campaigns where 3rd party actors are trying to influence results by creating fake perceptions and fake 'leaks' that are actually deepfakes. Once that content is viewed and convinces someone, how would that hosting platform deal with that? Surely you'd need this MS technology to scan the video upon upload, not after it can already have an impact?

Thoughts from you guys on how this tech could be implemented to reduce impact?

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53984114

SETUP:

• Ryzen 9 3900XT @ 4.3 all core (peak core voltage 1.3)  (water)
  • 2x8GB TeamGroup 8Pack Ripped Edition 3600mhz CL14
  • RTX 2080ti OCd @ +150 core, +1000 memory (water)
  • Aorus B550 Elite (rev1)

Personal Bests:

• Cinebench R15: 1785  1883 (Aug 2020)
  • Cinebench R20: 4136  4243 7125 7550 (Feb 2021)
  • 3DMark/Time Spy: 10,238 13,106 13,993 14,149 15,295 (Feb 2021)

Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1314971-the-ultimate-noctua-pc-15-fans-custom-loop-case-mods/

@A Gassy Gnome please update your topic to meet the posting guidelines.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

also Microsoft: "dont like this piece of news that has reached public? Pay us and we'll report it as a deepfake"

Doesn't google already offer that service? I know Twitter does.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Saw this coming haha. Neat. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |