Pc won’t start up after psu replacement

Mihai Adrian

Hello.

Couple of days ago I have encountered a big issue with my pc, I went to start it up, 3 secs after it shut down. I waited 15 secs and started it again but this time smoke was coming out of it. Immediately unplugged the power and all cables, and went on to inspect what caused it. After a while of inspections I didn’t find anything wrong so I plugged the power back just to see that the motherboard leds we’re not lighting up. At that time I was sure it’s the psu. I got a replacement for it, brand new one. I installed that one, everything fine and dandy, motherboard has lights up now, but the other issue that occured is that it won’t start up. Every single time i press the start button i just hear a tick around where the psu is and then nothing. I have tried resetting the clrtc thing, took the battery out, tried without it. Tried with minimal setup(cpu, 1 ram stick,cpu cooler, no chassis fans, no gpu) same thing. I took everything out even the cpu and assembled it again, same thing. Moved the ram sticks in different slots, nothing. Basically the psu is good as it is lighting up the motherboard and that is fine too cause it’s lighting, and I cannot find the problem. It might have to do with the fact that the motherboard tells the psu to not work because of the failure of the old psu? Please anyone help me, it’s quite an expensive rig and I don’t want to lose my pc.

What are your system specs? What was the old PSU and new PSU?

3 minutes ago, Mihai Adrian said:

Every single time i press the start button i just hear a tick around where the psu is and then nothing.

Sounds like short circuit protection is tripping.

If you're using a modular power supply, are you using the cables that came with the new power supply? If so and it's still tripping SCP then your motherboard is likely toast from the previous PSU.

(>Moved to Troubleshooting)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Mihai Adrian said:

Hello.

Couple of days ago I have encountered a big issue with my pc, I went to start it up, 3 secs after it shut down. I waited 15 secs and started it again but this time smoke was coming out of it. Immediately unplugged the power and all cables, and went on to inspect what caused it. After a while of inspections I didn’t find anything wrong so I plugged the power back just to see that the motherboard leds we’re not lighting up. At that time I was sure it’s the psu. I got a replacement for it, brand new one. I installed that one, everything fine and dandy, motherboard has lights up now, but the other issue that occured is that it won’t start up. Every single time i press the start button i just hear a tick around where the psu is and then nothing. I have tried resetting the clrtc thing, took the battery out, tried without it. Tried with minimal setup(cpu, 1 ram stick,cpu cooler, no chassis fans, no gpu) same thing. I took everything out even the cpu and assembled it again, same thing. Moved the ram sticks in different slots, nothing. Basically the psu is good as it is lighting up the motherboard and that is fine too cause it’s lighting, and I cannot find the problem. It might have to do with the fact that the motherboard tells the psu to not work because of the failure of the old psu? Please anyone help me, it’s quite an expensive rig and I don’t want to lose my pc.

Try using an Uninterruptible Power Supply. Your problem could be due to a power fluctuation. I use a UPS in my rig. It can even give you a power backup. Do all of this after getting a new motherboard. It could have fried.

as others said there is a good chance that some thing (mobo) is fried can you share specs?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

What are your system specs? What was the old PSU and new PSU?

Sounds like short circuit protection is tripping.

If you're using a modular power supply, are you using the cables that came with the new power supply? If so and it's still tripping SCP then your motherboard is likely toast from the previous PSU.

(>Moved to Troubleshooting)

Old psu was corsair 850w and this new one is from corsair but 1000w. Cpu ryzen 7 3700x, 4x8gb corsair ram sticks, motherboard asus rog strix b450-e, gpu rtx 2080 super. I am using the cables from the new psu as the old one i returned with all things it came with

13 hours ago, mahyar said:

as others said there is a good chance that some thing (mobo) is fried can you share specs?

Old psu was corsair 850w and this new one is from corsair but 1000w. Cpu ryzen 7 3700x, 4x8gb corsair ram sticks, motherboard asus rog strix b450-e, gpu rtx 2080 super. I am using the cables from the new psu as the old one i returned with all things it came with

13 hours ago, Infinisum7 said:

Try using an Uninterruptible Power Supply. Your problem could be due to a power fluctuation. I use a UPS in my rig. It can even give you a power backup. Do all of this after getting a new motherboard. It could have fried.

How can the leds on the motherboard work and light up if it is fried? Or is not the same thing?