Buying an gpu for a birthday gift.

Go to solution Solved by SpiralTTGL,

honestly if its a gamer nothing wrong with a steam gift card

With my budget I can only get a RTX 2060 or an RX 5700, which is the better option for him? 

His system

Corsair crystal 280x (white) 

Ryzen R5 2600 

Corsair H100i platinum se (white) - upgraded from H100i v2

Msi B450m mortar titanium 

Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz cl16 16gb 

PowerColor RX Vega 56 8gb Red Devil Edition 

Crucial MX500 1tb m.2 ssd 

WD Black 3.5 inch 2tb hdd 

Corsair RM750x 750w 80+gold modular (white) 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

The 5700 is a bit faster on average.

Spoiler

missing-image.svg

Check the full review to see if you find any games that you know your friend plays where the 2060 is faster though. https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-rx-5700-review/

I should note that neither is much of an upgrade from a vega 56... I wouldn't buy him a gpu if I were you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The 5700 is a bit faster on average.

Hide contents

missing-image.svg

Check the full review to see if you find any games that you know your friend plays where the 2060 is faster though. https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-rx-5700-review/

I should note that neither is much of an upgrade from a vega 56... I wouldn't buy him a gpu if I were you.

What to get him then? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

3 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

What to get him then? 

maybe peripherals? monitor? kb/mouse? headset?

games?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

A 3700X?

But if you insist on a card - 2070 Super or 5700 XT minimum

Will a 3000 series cpu run on his mortar titanium? 

What to get him then? 

With your budget (which by the way is really high for a friend's birthday gift...) there isn't much you can get in the way of upgrades, his build is already pretty recent and not half bad. I wouldn't get a new cpu either. Look for something other than computer parts that he might like.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

maybe peripherals? monitor? kb/mouse? headset?

games?

His peripherals :

Corsair limited edition white keyboard 

Msi gaming 32 inch 1440p 144hz curved (white) 

Shadow verse limited edition ghost mouse (white) 

:( 

1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

His peripherals :

Corsair limited edition white keyboard 

Msi gaming 32 inch 1440p 144hz curved (white) 

Shadow verse limited edition ghost mouse (white) 

nothing i can see that is worth upgrading that is within your budget

get him 2 cakes, one for the face

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

With your budget (which by the way is really high for a friend's birthday gift...) there isn't much you can get in the way of upgrades, his build is already pretty recent and not half bad. I wouldn't get a new cpu either. Look for something other than computer parts that he might like.

The only other thing he likes is anime I can't even find that stupid Gundam model he's been asking for 

Gundam Wing perfect model

The only other thing he likes is anime I can't even find that stupid Gundam model he's been asking for 

He has a vega 56 why would u upgrade his gpu , get him sth else either sth he really needs or sth he is passionate about , for examble i got my best friend an anime poster he loved it

Get him a poster I guess? Maybe a new videogame...?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

He has a vega 56 why would u upgrade his gpu , get him sth else either sth he really needs or sth he is passionate about , for examble i got my best friend an anime poster he loved it 

The model he's asking for : Endless Waltz Gundam Wing  (perfect model) - $1089.90

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Get him a poster I guess? Maybe a new videogame...?

The only way I can get him the game he wants is unless you have a time machine lol. 

He buys games faster then I do lol

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

The model he's asking for : Endless Waltz Gundam Wing  (perfect model) - $1089.90

You know you're under no obligation to get him something expensive - or anything at all really? What kind of friend demands his friend get him something for multiple hundreds of $ for his birthday? Get something nice that you can comfortably afford, it doesn't have to be exactly the one expensive thing he wishes he had...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Benji said:

In that case I'm wondering in what kind of financial heights you are floating if you are getting him a present with a mid-3-figure value and he has the guts to ask for something that is more than 1000 bucks. I wouldn't even DARE to ask for such a expensive thing, might as well ask for an entirely new system or TV. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In that case, since he seems to have no specific wishes that are affordable or even realistic, try to think of something nice. Maybe a gift card for one of those adventure providers or a spa weekend (if he likes that stuff) or something along those lines.

I cold always get my sister to give him a kiss, I know he likes her. 

The only way I can get him the game he wants is unless you have a time machine lol. 

He buys games faster then I do lol

Then a gift card for a future game...? Also if your friend is rich enough that he can just buy every game he wants as soon as it comes out then he really doesn't need you to break bank to get him something expensive.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Does he really need the GPU ? The GPU came out 2 years ago i think , theres no way he needs a new GPU its prob within warranty anyway ( if it has problems ) 

I mean hey if u are rich and u 2 give gifts like that to each other all the time go ahead , but if ur a normal guy like me just get him sth reasonable that u know he will love.

I love my best friend too but 1000$ is overkill imo 

Just now, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I cold always get my sister to give him a kiss, I know he likes her. 

big yikes there, avoid

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Then a gift card for a future game...? Also if your friend is rich enough that he can just buy every game he wants as soon as it comes out then he really doesn't need you to break bank to get him something expensive.

He did help overclock my pc I wanted to say thank you 

big yikes there, avoid

?? 

He did help overclock my pc I wanted to say thank you 

Ok but again... that doesn't mean you need to spend hundreds.

?? 

If your sister kisses him it should be exclusively because she spontaneously wants to, not because you asked her.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ok but again... that doesn't mean you need to spend hundreds.

If your sister kisses him it should be exclusively because she spontaneously wants to, not because you asked her.

Yea I guess so, plus I think my sis knows he likes her, but pretends to act as she doesn't. 

*** Thread cleaned ***

Carry on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, SpiralTTGL said:

honestly if its a gamer nothing wrong with a steam gift card

Oh yeah I forgot about those, thanks I think I'll get a few of those for him. Thanks.