Why are TV screens so glossy compared to monitors

Smackaroy

90% of monitors I have seem use a matte screen, where as tvs use a really glossy one, and you can see reflections in it like crazy why don't the use an anti reflection screen like monitors?

1 minute ago, Smackaroy said:

90% of monitors I have seem use a matte screen, where as tvs use a really glossy one, and you can see reflections in it like crazy why don't the use an anti reflection screen like monitors?

I don't for sure why, but I have to guess it has to do with glossy screens letting more light pass through (or rather matte screens blocking more light) and TV's generally are larger; meaning more light would be needed to lit the whole screen.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

I don't for sure why, but I have to guess it has to do with glossy screens letting more light pass through (or rather matte screens blocking more light) and TV's generally are larger; meaning more light would be needed to lit the whole screen.

Yeah that makes sense, but couldn't they use the space to fit a bigger stronger backlight? 

glossy screens are good for a sharper image but have much more reflections, TV´s are usually setup so refelctions dont matter much so you can easily take advantage of that sharper image.

matte screens like they are often on monitors or laptop screens are usually used because you will have far less problems with reflections.

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

glossy screens are good for a sharper image but have much more reflections, TV´s are usually setup so refelctions dont matter much so you can easily take advantage of that sharper image.

matte screens like they are often on monitors or laptop screens are usually used because you will have far less problems with reflections.

OK cool

Just now, Smackaroy said:

Yeah that makes sense, but couldn't they use the space to fit a bigger stronger backlight? 

That would cost more money though.

They (the TV manufacturers) probably did studies to find out the perfect combination of a screen.

By combination I mean:

- Amount of glare (because TV's do have an anti glare coating)

- Brightness

- Colors

Price.

TV's are a product of very large volumes, are the panels are created by the 1000's. That means they have to get the 'perfect combo' within these (and probably more) parameters.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

They (the TV manufacturers) probably did studies to find out the perfect combination of a screen.

By combination I mean:

- Brightness

- Colors

Price.

TV's are a product of very large volumes, are the panels are created by the 1000's. That means they have to get the 'perfect combo' within these (and probably more) parameters.

Also a glossy coating is an easy way to get a bit more vibrant colours on cheap panels. So helps the tv stand out more.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

By combination I mean:

- Brightness

- Colors

Price.

Yeah but it also makes me  kinda sad how monitors don't get the same kinda attention as TVs. TVs keep getting cheaper and get all the nice new tech,where as monitors don't seem to be progressing yet in the rare case monitors do get the shiny new tech they cost like 2k

16 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

Because matt screens have worse contrast. The majority of TV's use VA panels for the express purpose of having that higher contrast VA affords, adding a matt coating to it for the sake of reflections would diminish the picture quality.

Most people who care about home cinema will setup their room so that the screen gets little reflection. Those that dont shouldn't care about it in the 1st place.

I see more people asking for a gloss finish on monitors than a matt finish on TV's. You should look up some of the vids of people removing the anti glare layer of their monitor and look how much better the image looks (more contrast).

I personally use a Plasma, its glass, no antiglare.  Reflections are not much of an issue, for the most part i keep my room 'dim', and any reflections i do get im able to ignore.

The LG OLEDs are also gloss finish and ill be getting the 48" once the new GPU's arrive late rin the year.

overall IMO, matt finishes are the issue, not gloss.

Matt finishes has its place, in office environments ..hence why they are predominantly on monitors, but for quality viewing, its bad.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also a glossy coating is an easy way to get a bit more vibrant colours on cheap panels. So helps the tv stand out more.

Yea, that was my main point with 'colors'. The colors on a mat screen seem more subdued, while on a glossy panel they can really stand out.

2 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

Yeah but it also makes me  kinda sad how monitors don't get the same kinda attention as TVs. TVs keep getting cheaper and get all the nice new tech,where as monitors don't seem to be progressing yet in the rare case monitors do get the shiny new tech they cost like 2k

Really? Monitors are not progressing?

Maybe not at the same rate as TV's, but we have been seeing an ever increasing amount of refresh rates on monitor, at an ever increasing resolution.

Anything above 144Hz on any monitor, or even 144Hz on 4K seemed quite impossible a couple years ago. Now there are 1080p300Hz monitors, 4K144Hz monitors and in general 1440p and 4K monitors have gone down in price a lot.

Plus IPS monitors always had a premium and TN never had good colors in the past. Even that is changing rapidly.

Right now the focus seems to be on ever-increasing Hz, but I think that will slow down soon in favor of all the HDR evolution taking place at the moment.

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

Because matt screens have worse contrast. The majority of TV's use VA panels for the express purpose of having that higher contrast VA affords, adding a matt coating to it for the sake of reflections would diminish the picture quality.

Most people who care about home cinema will setup their room so that the screen gets little reflection. Those that dont shouldn't care about it in the 1st place.

I see more people asking for a gloss finish on monitors than a matt finish on TV's. You should look up some of the vids of people removing the anti glare layer of their monitor and look how much better the image looks (more contrast).

I personally use a Plasma, its glass, no antiglare.  Reflections are not much of an issue, for the most part i keep my room 'dim', and any reflections i do get im able to ignore.

The LG OLEDs are also gloss finish and ill be getting the 48" once the new GPU's arrive late rin the year.

overall IMO, matt finishes are the issue, not gloss.

Then why don't they do that with monitors no matt screens just glossy with a coating, does it cost more or something?

9 minutes ago, minibois said:

Really? Monitors are not progressing?

Maybe not at the same rate as TV's, but we have been seeing an ever increasing amount of refresh rates on monitor, at an ever increasing resolution.

Anything above 144Hz on any monitor, or even 144Hz on 4K seemed quite impossible a couple years ago. Now there are 1080p300Hz monitors, 4K144Hz monitors and in general 1440p and 4K monitors have gone down in price a lot.

Plus IPS monitors always had a premium and TN never had good colors in the past. Even that is changing rapidly.

Right now the focus seems to be on ever-increasing Hz, but I think that will slow down soon in favor of all the HDR evolution taking place at the moment.

yeah not sure what I was thinking I was more on about stuff like quantum dot and oled but after a quick Google search seems like Samsung are making qdot monitors now, and also I have seem some mini led screens around sorry for my stupidity.   but I do think the current focus on hz is a bit silly is 240hz not fast enough?

4 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

yeah not sure what I was thinking I was more on about stuff like quantum dot and oled but after a quick Google search seems like Samsung are making qdot monitors now, and also I have seem some mini led screens around sorry for my stupidity.   but I do think the current focus on hz is a bit silly is 240hz not fast enough?

unless your talking about higher res screens getting higher hz like 4k a 200hz yeah that's a good thing, I was more talking about is it necessary to go past 240hz

15 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

Then why don't they do that with monitors no matt screens just glossy with a coating, does it cost more or something?

Well think about it from an industry perspective.

Monitors general have 2 uses.

Office work

Gaming

If u want to watch a movie, thats what a TV is for.

With both office work and gaming it is assumed ur using the monitor with a PC (duh) and thus in an environment that may not be best suited for a more highly reflective gloss surface.

In addition, in the current state of the display industry, gaming displays are not made with a 'quality' image in mind, but rather only focus on things like pixel response, input lag, refresh frequency, resolution, and aspect ratio, plus any 'tech of the moment' , like HDR and Variable refresh. The quality of the image is generally an afterthought, as such giving it a gloss finish is less important than ensuring that at all times u can see whats on the screen, thus a highly efficient anti reflective matt surface finish is used.

For office use, well, offices are usually very bright and u need to see what ur typing, the quality of the image is of no importance, just that u can see the image is whats important, so again a highly efficient anti reflective matt surface finish is used.

I personally dont like matt finishes (or LCD in general), i'm very much a person form the CRT & Plasma days, in fact i still use a Plasma and ill be changing to OLED later this year. im skipping LCD entirely.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |