Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smassive

Dac/amp with chat/game mix

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi All,

New to the forum and hope you can help me. I am fairly new to the revelation of semi decent audio and have recently purchased a separate headphone and mic setup. I had previously been using a Steelseries Arctis 7 gaming headset which I found got quite heavy after a couple hours of use. However, it had some functions that I liked and am unable to do with my current setup. Firstly the audio automatically switched between speakers and headset when the headset was turned on/off and secondly it had a separate game/chat control as well as onboard main volume.

I mainly use the headphones when gaming with others and revert to speakers when playing solo. This often means I have to go into various game/discord/windows audio settings to get things back to usable levels after switching. I would like to get a dac or amp that would have the following functionality:

USB input from PC

Mic input

Outputs to headphones and speakers with easy switching between the two

Volume control

Game/chat mix control

I have looked at the Astro Mixamp pro but not sure if it can easily switch between headphone and speaker audio. Also the some of the reviews aren't spectacular. I'm not an audiophile but I am lazy, and getting annoyed with switching between two configs.

Cheers

Mix control would be easiest with a software mixer, something along the lines of voicemeeter. It can be done externally, but would require setting per-app audio output and a full blown mixer, not just a dac/amp.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

8 hours ago, Smassive said:

USB input from PC

Mic input

Outputs to headphones and speakers with easy switching between the two

Volume control

Game/chat mix control

The Fulla 3 gets you all but the last one. 

I believe my GSX1000 has this feature, I have never used it I have an xlr mic

CPU-Intel I7-7700K DELID and OC 5.1 Ghz Intel I9 9900k OC 4.9Ghz Motherboard-MSI xpower gaming Titanium z270 Asus ROG Maximus XI Z390 RAM-4x8gb DDR4 Gskill-ripjaws 3200mhz GPU(s)-GTX1080Ti ScGaming-iCXBlack 11GB (x2) Case-CoolerMaster 5 Storage-Samsung 960 pro 512 m.2 Samsung 850 Evo 500gb Samsung 970 evo 500gb PSU-EVGA superNOVA 1000watt G3 Display(s)-2x MSI Optix g24c 144hz Cooling-2 Corsair SP140 2 AF120 - EVGA 240 AIO  Keyboard-G910 Mouse-g502WIRELESS Sound-Bose/HD6xx/Seinhizzah gsx1000/onkyo tr nx575 with 5.1 digitech procinema600 Operating System-Windows10 Pro x64 NAS -DS918+ 4x3tb Ironwolf(s) raid 10  Router - ROG ASUS GT5300AC

Thanks for the replies. Looks like my best option is to go for something that has the hardware inputs I need then use a software solution for the game/chat mix

35 minutes ago, Smassive said:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like my best option is to go for something that has the hardware inputs I need then use a software solution for the game/chat mix

In which case you don't even have to purchase an external solution, just do it onboard.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

18 hours ago, The Flying Sloth said:

In which case you don't even have to purchase an external solution, just do it onboard.

I still want the manual volume control really. Having to pause things to move a software slider if things get a bit quiet (getting old and hearing not what it used to be) is annoying

3 minutes ago, Smassive said:

I still want the manual volume control really. Having to pause things to move a software slider if things get a bit quiet (getting old and hearing not what it used to be) is annoying

Then get a USB volume knob

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

I've actually found something for free which does the job of a standalone volume and mix control. A phone app called PCVolumeControl links with the PC over your network and has controls for each running program as well as a master control.

Job done, thanks to everyone for the info though.