A mixed blessing/mishap - Ryzen chips sold in wrong packaging

williamcll

mP6DCXEkf69vBqdwZrX8PD-1200-80.jpg

Over here for reasons not entirely known, Ryzen is shipping out their CPUs in different packaging. Probably by mistake

Although the serial number and the final seal on the box were replaced with the correct one, everything else indicates that the product is a Ryzen 3 3200G APU. Apparently, this is the result of unexpectedly high sales of the Ryzen 5 3600 CPUs during the Chinese mid-year sale in June. AMD’s China team got creative and instead of waiting for new rolls, decided to package the Ryzen 5 chip in 3200G boxes. Keep in mind that the pricing and actual product were unchanged. Only the packaging was swapped.

Source: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpus-being-sold-in-ryzen-3-3200g-packaging/

Thoughts: now imagine if they could sell the 3600 with the 3200G price too. Looking at the comments I see some people suggest to auction this as a rarity as well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Well, I guess this is what happens when you're selling CPUs like hot cakes - mistakes when rushing to fulfill orders. This is great news for AMD (and the lucky people who got a 3600 when expecting a 3200G)

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

..... i didn't expect "boxing mishaps" to still be a collectors' item thing ._.

no, this is a 3600 CPU, with 3600 serial numbers, and 3600 contents, in a 3200G box

Yes, mistakes happen whenever humans are involved. This is a result of high targets in factory settings. And someone got a 3600 for 90$ so I call that a small issue at worst.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

they are sold as 3600 units

Didn't read that, derp on my end.

Well, then it's just a nothingburger story

Using alternate but similar packaging if there is a shortage of the correct part is not unknown. In this case I would have thought they might have got a plain or other reprinted labels to cover over the "incorrect" info on the box to help eliminate any chance for confusion.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

26 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Well, then it's just a nothingburger story

As soon as i read that part of the OP my thought was "why is this even tech news".

Could even be they ran out of the correct boxes and used what they had to package them with.

Chances are it is as said above but I've seen it happen before in person concerning running out of boxes with stuff.

To complete the order, if short on the correct boxes for some reason(s) such as a supplier problem for example they'll use whatever is available, relabel what it is and out it goes, esp in times of high demand like it is now. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

14 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

it's china, so probably PACKIDGE CREDIT SCORE

Told a joke: -10 points

Made fun of government program: -100 points

Participation in society will be restricted, your CPU buying options will now consist only of AMD FX processors from unsold stock. 

More processors than packaging, not too bad of a problem. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Where is the pic of the actual cpu that's in the box? I call this fake news! :P

or AMD actually ran out of 3600 boxes so they took 3200G boxes and used that instead.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So let me get this straight.

The box states (other than the security label) that the processor is a Ryzen R3 3200G (4 cores, 4 threads, with a GPU, costs 100 dollars).

Inside the box however, is a Ryzen R5 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads, no GPU, costs 172 dollars).

So that correct? What price where they selling at?

As long as people got more for less money I am okay with it. However, if it turns out that someone ended up getting screwed over because of this then I think it should reflect poorly on AMD.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think ( and I could be wrong on this ) is that the 3600 just came in a 3200g box. You still paid for the 3600 and everything. It's just. It came in a different box lol. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

This really is more news about how much AMD is selling.

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So let me get this straight.

The box states (other than the security label) that the processor is a Ryzen R3 3200G (4 cores, 4 threads, with a GPU, costs 100 dollars).

Inside the box however, is a Ryzen R5 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads, no GPU, costs 172 dollars).

As long as people got more for less money I am okay with it. However, if it turns out that someone ended up getting screwed over because of this then I think it should reflect poorly on AMD.

Correct price, correct barcode and correct sticker labeling.  The only thing off about it is that it was packed in a Ryzen 3 box, instead of the proper box.

The sticker label they use to identify the CPU is correct.  So really the only confusion would be if you look at it from the front and see Ryzen 3 (since it doesn't appear to show the words 3200G anywhere on the box...and based on the article they just said the indication was that it was a 3200G chip, so it must not have been actually written anywhere).

There isn't really much news or weight to this article.  It's literally just AMD ran out of boxes and used Ryzen 3 boxes to meet the demand (but used the correct labeling)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 7/13/2020 at 6:57 PM, 5x5 said:

Well, I guess this is what happens when you're selling CPUs like hot cakes - mistakes when rushing to fulfill orders. This is great news for AMD (and the lucky people who got a 3600 when expecting a 3200G)

It might be funny if they found no graphics chip for 3200G,without a graphics card