How to SAFELY transport a PC in a ship.

Biks
Go to solution Solved by Kisai,
39 minutes ago, Biks said:

I’m gonna be transporting my PC soon to another location. I’m transporting it through a Car in a Ship, I need help on how to safely transport it.

If you have the original box, use the original box. Otherwise just stick it in the backseat of your car behind the drivers seat where the passenger would put their feet, and put a bag of towels or clothing underneath it to act as a shock absorber. If you're not going a far distance, I wouldn't worry that much.

If you're travelling hundreds of miles, then yes, protect and cover the computer. You don't need to remove anything from the inside, but if you have a heavy aftermarket cooler or gpu in the system you might want to remove those and put them in boxes. If you have a liquid cooler... drain the liquid, because you don't want it to leak during shipping.

Historically, any time you ship a computer, you want to avoid the possibility of someone dropping it, which is why desktops typically ship with 2-3" of foam or cardboard inside the box. If you like to fly over speed bumps and take turns fast, that will apply forces to the inside of the computer that it was not designed to take. Hence you wrap the computer in a towel or blanket and use clothing in a bag to prevent it from bouncing off anything solid in the car. It's better for it to be slightly firm, wedged between the drivers seat and the rear passenger seat than it is to be sitting on the seat and allowed to slide.

Failing that, strap it in like it was a baby seat using the seat belt anchors. I won't explain how to do this, just that it's an option, and you still need to be careful driving as if you get hit, your computer is probably 20 lbs and will take your head off if you get in a collision if not secured.

One of my clients in the 90's shipped a server out of the country, and it came back a month later with massive damage to the chassis because it had literately been dropped from the plane. That's basically the worst case scenario, where someone slips and it falls far enough to break everything inside it.

I’m gonna be transporting my PC soon to another location. I’m transporting it through a Car in a Ship, I need help on how to safely transport it.

If you have a tower cooler or chunky graphics card lay the pc on it’s side flat if you expect jerking might be best To remove the gpu, make sure it can’t slide around ettc. 

pictures will help

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

would remove the GPU and CPU cooler and make sure the pc is secured in the car

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

remove the GPU maybe the CPU cooler and put it in the OG case box if you got it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I think my CPU Cooler is not that heavy since it is a Stock AMD Wraith Stealth cooler. Would you still recommend to remove it?

3 minutes ago, Biks said:

I think my CPU Cooler is not that heavy since it is a Stock AMD Wraith Stealth cooler. Would you still recommend to remove it?

No don’t need to then, what gpu?

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

No don’t need to then, what gpu?

Gigabyte GTX 1660 Gaming OC, this is a Tri Fan GPU which... might be heavy.

5 minutes ago, Biks said:

Gigabyte GTX 1660 Gaming OC, this is a Tri Fan GPU which... might be heavy.

I would remove it, just to be safe, better to spend three minutes removing it then risk breaking a pci slot and the card

AMD blackout rig

39 minutes ago, Biks said:

If you have the original box, use the original box. Otherwise just stick it in the backseat of your car behind the drivers seat where the passenger would put their feet, and put a bag of towels or clothing underneath it to act as a shock absorber. If you're not going a far distance, I wouldn't worry that much.

If you're travelling hundreds of miles, then yes, protect and cover the computer. You don't need to remove anything from the inside, but if you have a heavy aftermarket cooler or gpu in the system you might want to remove those and put them in boxes. If you have a liquid cooler... drain the liquid, because you don't want it to leak during shipping.

Historically, any time you ship a computer, you want to avoid the possibility of someone dropping it, which is why desktops typically ship with 2-3" of foam or cardboard inside the box. If you like to fly over speed bumps and take turns fast, that will apply forces to the inside of the computer that it was not designed to take. Hence you wrap the computer in a towel or blanket and use clothing in a bag to prevent it from bouncing off anything solid in the car. It's better for it to be slightly firm, wedged between the drivers seat and the rear passenger seat than it is to be sitting on the seat and allowed to slide.

Failing that, strap it in like it was a baby seat using the seat belt anchors. I won't explain how to do this, just that it's an option, and you still need to be careful driving as if you get hit, your computer is probably 20 lbs and will take your head off if you get in a collision if not secured.

One of my clients in the 90's shipped a server out of the country, and it came back a month later with massive damage to the chassis because it had literately been dropped from the plane. That's basically the worst case scenario, where someone slips and it falls far enough to break everything inside it.