PSU making really loud noises despite being new

80cap
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
23 minutes ago, 80cap said:

Ok thanks. Do you think that leaving the fan as is will do any harm to my PC? I do not mind the noise I am just concerned whether this might be a sign that something could happen to my PC. Apologies if what I am saying makes no sense I am new to PC building.

It might be a problem with the sensing circuit that reports how hot the PSU is and tells the fan to spin up/down to compensate. It may be reporting it as quite a bit hotter than it actually is. This in itself won't harm your system unless the fan fails. Even then it would probably be a long while before the unit actually failed. Corsair makes good PSUs.

If the noise level of the fan doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it. Though if you start experiencing BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, sudden shutdown/restarts, or if you ever smell anything like burning plastic your PSU should be a prime suspect.

Hello, I have recently built a pc with the following specs:

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • Gtx 1660
  • Corsair 200r case
  • Corsair vengeance 8x2gb ram @ 3000mhz
  • Corsair TX650m PSU.

Just a few days ago I began hearing this noise (attached below) when my PC is underload, and ignored it as I thought it was my stock cpu fan which is known to be loud. However, today I put my ear against my PSU and realised that it was the PSU making the noise. This noise overpowers any other noise my PC makes under load and now I am extremely concerned. Is this bad? How would I go about solving this problem? 

Thanks

fan?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

As far as I can tell based on the audio it sounds like the PSU fan. I don't think you're pushing the PSU very hard with your setup even under load so it could be a PSU problem where the fan is spinning faster than it really needs to.

Are you talking about fan noise?

Do you have the PSU mounted with the fan facing up or down?

17 hours ago, wall03 said:

fan?

yes sorry I meant the fan

17 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are you talking about fan noise?

Do you have the PSU mounted with the fan facing up or down?

Yes the fan noise my apologies, and my PSU is mounted with the fan faced downwards.

17 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

As far as I can tell based on the audio it sounds like the PSU fan. I don't think you're pushing the PSU very hard with your setup even under load so it could be a PSU problem where the fan is spinning faster than it really needs to.

Thanks for the response, is there any way that I could fix this?

1 minute ago, 80cap said:

Thanks for the response, is there any way that I could fix this?

Not without risking serious electrocution no. About your only safe option is to replace the unit. I don't know if Corsair will do RMA over a loud fan.

37 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Not without risking serious electrocution no. About your only safe option is to replace the unit. I don't know if Corsair will do RMA over a loud fan.

Ok thanks. Do you think that leaving the fan as is will do any harm to my PC? I do not mind the noise I am just concerned whether this might be a sign that something could happen to my PC. Apologies if what I am saying makes no sense I am new to PC building.

Could be a faulty fan on the PSU, I reckon?

I've got a TX550M in another system that draws a little more power than yours and it doesn't sound even close to this.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

15 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Could be a faulty fan on the PSU, I reckon?

I've got a TX550M in another system that draws a little more power than yours and it doesn't sound even close to this.

That's what I'm thinking : /

23 minutes ago, 80cap said:

It might be a problem with the sensing circuit that reports how hot the PSU is and tells the fan to spin up/down to compensate. It may be reporting it as quite a bit hotter than it actually is. This in itself won't harm your system unless the fan fails. Even then it would probably be a long while before the unit actually failed. Corsair makes good PSUs.

If the noise level of the fan doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it. Though if you start experiencing BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, sudden shutdown/restarts, or if you ever smell anything like burning plastic your PSU should be a prime suspect.

8 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Ok great thank you so much for the help, I'm going to stick with the PSU for now and if there are any future problems I'll just try save up for a new one :)