1440p 144/165Hz IPS or 1440p 240Hz Curved VA

Hey guys! so im currently using an Acer XB271HU which is a 1440p IPS panel that's overclockable to 165 Hz. been using it for over 2 years already and have no issue whatsoever. I recently saw Linus' video on the Samsung Odyssey G7 and loved that it is a curved monitor with 1440p 240Hz refresh rate. I immediately had the urge to upgrade but then i thought to myself is it really worth upgrading from 144Hz to 240Hz and (potentially) downgrade from an IPS panel to a VA Panel (G7). i would have to sell my xb271hu and add around 300-400$ to buy the G7

What do you guys think? is it a worthy upgrade? or if not what is a sensible upgrade path for my monitor as 4k 120/144Hz is still way too overpriced right now. or should i just stick to my xb271hu

thanks in advance for the responses

Sounds like a downgrade imo, going to VA, especially since you won't notice that much of a difference from 144 to 240Hz.

1440p 144Hz IPS is still the best all-rounder option I think.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Sounds like a downgrade imo, going to VA, especially since you won't notice that much of a difference from 144 to 240Hz.

I have to agree with this here, but refresh rate is subjective to each person and what they are doing.

For years, I was content with 60hz, I didn't know anything different. When I made the switch to 144hz, it had a different feeling, but I wouldn't call it immensely better...as though I had ascended to a new level of gameplay. I have found that now 60hz does feel like a slideshow to me, going back to it. I struggle to tell the difference between 120-144, and there is no perceived difference between 144-240 for me. Even after extensive use of 240, I'm able to transition back to 144 with no noticeable change.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

5 minutes ago, Semper said:

For years, I was content with 60hz, I didn't know anything different. When I made the switch to 144hz, it had a different feeling, but I wouldn't call it immensely better...as though I had ascended to a new level of gameplay. I have found that now 60hz does feel like a slideshow to me, going back to it. I struggle to tell the difference between 120-144, and there is no perceived difference between 144-240 for me. Even after extensive use of 240, I'm able to transition back to 144 with no noticeable change.

Yeah after setting up my two monitors, having a 240Hz panel right next to my old 60Hz just makes it look even more sluggish than it already is. Moving the mouse from one panel to the other just feels so weird. And it's funny considering I was more than fine with 60Hz, or at least that's what I thought at the time I was only using that.

I do notice a difference between 144 and 240, however it's fairly slight. I definitely wouldn't sell my 144Hz IPS panel and add another $300-400 to get a 240Hz VA. Obviously it's personal preference, but it just doesn't sound like a smart decision to me personally.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

18 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Thanks for this. really having a hard time deciding but im kinda leaning towards keeping my 1440p 144Hz IPS. the only thing im curious is does a curved monitor help you get immersed in your game or is that just a gimmick? i ahvent used one myself and other people i saw on reddit said they had a hard time transitioning to one 

2 minutes ago, Brandon9997 said:

Thanks for this. really having a hard time deciding but im kinda leaning towards keeping my 1440p 144Hz IPS. the only thing im curious is does a curved monitor help you get immersed in your game or is that just a gimmick? i ahvent used one myself and other people i saw on reddit said they had a hard time transitioning to one 

I've never used one so I can't comment on this from personal experience, but if I had to guess I can't see it making much of a noticeable difference.

To quote Jayz 2 Cents...

The vast majority of people who claim they can tell any difference in framerate above 120FPS are talking shit

Its been proven time and time again that 120/144Hz is the sweet spot for a monitor. The amount of people who can actually tell a difference beyond that point is miniscule.

Going from a 120Hz IPS to a 240Hz VA is a sidegrade at best. The chances are the only difference you'll notice is the difference in screen quality going from the IPS to the VA panel.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Unless you're playing really high-level competitive games 240Hz won't offer much for you compared to 144/165Hz. Also a VA-panel can be a big upgrade compared to IPS panels. But that really depends on how well Samsung managed the overdrive with these monitors. As there is no real review yet i'd wait how that plays out. Nobody was expecting 240Hz IPS panels anytime soon and here they are. Maybe the same will happen with VA.

Because of the much higher contrast and (with higher-end panels) similar color performance in terms of wide-gamut-coverage (the G7 and G9 are QLED with 90%+ coverage of DCI-P3) these VA panels will almost certainly have a better image than most IPS panels on the market. Not to mention they also have local dimming and because of that combined with VA-technology they can actually display HDR content and not just "accept the HDR signal" like most monitors can these days.

TLDR: If you're not a competitive gamer and hunting for better image quality for slower paced games or in general, they might be a great choice. If you're playing many fast-paced games or play somewhat competitively, stick with your monitor. And if you don't really care about image quality at all you can go for a 240Hz TN panel for the best motion handling and responsiveness.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Brandon9997 said:

Hey guys! so im currently using an Acer XB271HU which is a 1440p IPS panel that's overclockable to 165 Hz. been using it for over 2 years already and have no issue whatsoever. I recently saw Linus' video on the Samsung Odyssey G7 and loved that it is a curved monitor with 1440p 240Hz refresh rate. I immediately had the urge to upgrade but then i thought to myself is it really worth upgrading from 144Hz to 240Hz and (potentially) downgrade from an IPS panel to a VA Panel (G7). i would have to sell my xb271hu and add around 300-400$ to buy the G7

What do you guys think? is it a worthy upgrade? or if not what is a sensible upgrade path for my monitor as 4k 120/144Hz is still way too overpriced right now. or should i just stick to my xb271hu

Ask yourself, can you realistically even reach 240fps without a significant drop in visual fidelity?

There's no sense in getting a 240hz 1440p or 120hz 4k monitor, and won't be for many years to come.  No hardware can run games at that.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

17 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Unless you're playing really high-level competitive games 240Hz won't offer much for you compared to 144/165Hz. Also a VA-panel can be a big upgrade compared to IPS panels. But that really depends on how well Samsung managed the overdrive with these monitors. As there is no real review yet i'd wait how that plays out. Nobody was expecting 240Hz IPS panels anytime soon and here they are. Maybe the same will happen with VA.

Because of the much higher contrast and (with higher-end panels) similar color performance in terms of wide-gamut-coverage (the G7 and G9 are QLED with 90%+ coverage of DCI-P3) these VA panels will almost certainly have a better image than most IPS panels on the market. Not to mention they also have local dimming and because of that combined with VA-technology they can actually display HDR content and not just "accept the HDR signal" like most monitors can these days.

TLDR: If you're not a competitive gamer and hunting for better image quality for slower paced games or in general, they might be a great choice. If you're playing many fast-paced games or play somewhat competitively, stick with your monitor. And if you don't really care about image quality at all you can go for a 240Hz TN panel for the best motion handling and responsiveness.

The issue I have with my Sansung VA panel is ghosting. Its something my previous 4K 60Hz IPS panel did not suffer from and while you can allieviate some of it by tweaking the panel settings its still very noticeable on dark areas of games. it's made worse by the fact my monitor is HDR600 compliant, enabling HDR in games makes the ghosting much more noticeable.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The issue I have with my Sansung VA panel is ghosting. Its something my previous 4K 60Hz IPS panel did not suffer from and while you can allieviate some of it by tweaking the panel settings its still very noticeable on dark areas of games. it's made worse by the fact my monitor is HDR600 compliant, enabling HDR in games makes the ghosting much more noticeable.

Ghosting is only a matter of pixel response time, NOT VA-technology specifically. Yes, VA's tend to have worse response times, but all comes down how well Samsung tweaked the overdrive on these panels. IPS or TN-panels with bad response times will experience ghosting just as much...

A year ago, nobody thought IPS is fast enough to truly deliver 240Hz (or even 280Hz now with the newest monitor from Asus) and here they are. 240Hz IPS is going mainstream and there ae plenty of options on the market. Maybe VA will accomplish the same here. We don't know until there are detailed reveiws.

Edit: The G7/G9 will have a completely different panel than your 4K 60Hz monitor, so how well yours is performing says nothing about these new monitors.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Ghosting is only a matter of pixel response time, NOT VA-technology specifically. Yes, VA's tend to have worse response times, but all comes down how well Samsung tweaked the overdrive on these panels. IPS or TN-panels with bad response times will experience ghosting just as much...

A year ago, nobody thought IPS is fast enough to truly deliver 240Hz (or even 280Hz now with the newest monitor from Asus) and here they are. 240Hz IPS is going mainstream and there ae plenty of options on the market. Maybe VA will accomplish the same here. We don't know until there are detailed reveiws.

Edit: The G7/G9 will have a completely different panel than your 4K 60Hz monitor, so how well yours is performing says nothing about these new monitors.

The biggest culprit is Freesync. In the panels OSD there is a Response Time gauge which shows you the current response time based on the settings you have applied. Enabling Freesync greys out the overdrive function and sets the response time gauge to around 1/3rd of full. If you turn off Freesync you can manually change overdrive and get the gauge down to almost zero.

I'm guessing there's some quirk to Freesync (possibly Adaptive Sync as a whole) that limits pixel response time.

BTW I have a Samsung C27 1440p 144hz HDR600 (its the C27HG70)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

The biggest culprit is Freesync. In the panels OSD there is a Response Time gauge which shows you the current response time based on the settings you have applied. Enabling Freesync greys out the overdrive function and sets the response time gauge to around 1/3rd of full. If you turn off Freesync you can manually change overdrive and get the gauge down to almost zero.

I'm guessing there's some quirk to Freesync (possibly Adaptive Sync as a whole) that limits pixel response time.

I guess this is specific to your monitor. Normally G-Sync, FreeSync and response time settings are not dependant on each other. Every FreeSync/Gsync monitor i ever used allowed me to change the overdrive no matter what.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I guess this is specific to your monitor. Normally G-Sync, FreeSync and response time settings are not dependant on each other. Every FreeSync/Gsync monitor i ever used allowed me to change the overdrive no matter what.

I decided to do some more digging and uncovered a thread on Samsungs support site. Apparently my issue is not ghosting, its actually reverse ghosting and it comes from using AMDs Freesync Ultimate engine designed for Freesync with HDR.

Heres the thread if you're interested - https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/computers-it/chg70-32-purple-ghosting-using-freesync/td-p/687830

I guess it depends on you, I'd never get a curved and 240Hz VA monitor. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Brandon9997 said:

1440p 240Hz 2nd Gen TN or wait for the IPS versions in the next couple of months. 

Best monitor you can buy right now IMO is the Lenovo Y27gq. 

I’ll be buying one of the IPS versions the second they release though, and then the 360Hz monitors towards end of the year.