Radeon VII + B550 = blackscreens?

Just now, narrdarr said:

cant you post a copy of the dump file?

no its like 2gb

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

cant you post a copy of the dump file?

copying the file to my desktop allows me to open it with windbg. what do i need to look for?

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

19 hours ago, gameboy3800 said:

copying the file to my desktop allows me to open it with windbg. what do i need to look for?

Open file then at the bottom of the window in the command line type

!analyze - v

this should make it as to read read for you.

But my guess is it was your network adapter and not related to your GPU.

Something you may want to consider..

Open cmd as admin

Type 

Chkdsk /f/r

Enter

Yes to reboot

When it is done 

Open cmd as admin

Type sfc /scannow

Enter

You have done alot driver install and uninstall. Runs with crashes, ECT. This will ensure you storage is in good working order and ensure windows files and windows system files a are all good.

13 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Open file then at the bottom of the window in the command line type

!analyze - v

this should make it as to read read for you.

But my guess is it was your network adapter and not related to your GPU.

Something you may want to consider..

Open cmd as admin

Type 

Chkdsk /f/r

Enter

Yes to reboot

When it is done 

Open cmd as admin

Type sfc /scannow

Enter

You have done alot driver install and uninstall. Runs with crashes, ECT. This will ensure you storage is in good working order and ensure windows files and windows system files a are all good.

heres a copy of what the dump text was for doing that command. i did all that in command prompt and it says it fixed files, but even after another restart i still crash.

dmp text.txt

after looking into the file you posted it points to the GPU.

But we have tried most things that would resolve this.

the only other things we have not tried are

using windows built in troubleshooter and selecting bluescreen

and

cmd as admin run each one by one

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

6 hours ago, narrdarr said:

and

i cant seem the bluescreen troubleshooter. the closest thing i could find to that said that the service was not running.

it says that nothing was found as corrupted, and that the restore operation was successful.

before this i tried the latest amd drivers to still no avail. i will see if the dism things have fixed it.

edit: still no good. this time i blackscreened and game crashed not 4 seconds into loading my garage.

pretty much out of options.

aside from trying to up power limit or power limit and voltage

or

changing TDR value from 2 to 8(maybe higher) in the registry

12 hours ago, narrdarr said:

pretty much out of options.

aside from trying to up power limit or power limit and voltage

or

changing TDR value from 2 to 8(maybe higher) in the registry

i think i'm just going to rma the motherboard at this point. this all started when i switched platforms anyways so maybe it is the culprit. i will return to using my threadripper system as i probably should have done a week ago.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:05 PM, narrdarr said:

and

13 hours ago, gameboy3800 said:

i think i'm just going to rma the motherboard at this point. this all started when i switched platforms anyways so maybe it is the culprit. i will return to using my threadripper system as i probably should have done a week ago.

As i said it's the AMD driver issue,changing the motherboard might help but i doubt it.

Some people had this issue while others had no issues,which implies a bug that causes problems in certain configurations.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

15 hours ago, Vishera said:

As i said it's the AMD driver issue,changing the motherboard might help but i doubt it.

Some people had this issue while others had no issues,which implies a bug that causes problems in certain configurations.

i've been back on my threadripper system running the newest drivers since mid yesterday with absolutely 0 issues in any application or game.

i think because the aorus had 3 m.2 slots it had to split some lanes to the chipset. maybe the radeon vii doesnt like that. who knows really.

15 hours ago, narrdarr said:

well we tried..... right.....

really i cannot thank you guys enough. for over a week you've been trying to help not only me but also the hundreds of other readers of this thread. maybe one of the solutions that was posted will help someone else looking for assistance with their radeon black screens.

1 hour ago, gameboy3800 said:

i've been back on my threadripper system running the newest drivers since mid yesterday with absolutely 0 issues in any application or game.

i think because the aorus had 3 m.2 slots it had to split some lanes to the chipset. maybe the radeon vii doesnt like that. who knows really.

It's possible,In my testing the problem occurred even on boards without any M.2 slots,but they had PCI instead (from the transition period from PCI to PCI-E,so those boards had both)

It's shameful that we have to solve the problems of AMD's products.

1 hour ago, gameboy3800 said:

really i cannot thank you guys enough.

I am glad i helped,also i really like your profile picture,and you have a lovely youtube channel ;)

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

just thought i'd share there a new driver update here a the details

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-gpu-bug-reporting-tool/

Yeah but that driver will probably not solve the problem,but it's useful to know that they still have no idea how to solve this 4 years old issue.

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

Yeah but that driver will probably not solve the problem,but it's useful to know that they still have no idea how to solve this 4 years old issue.

I agree. I'm just sharing. 

I was using 20.1.3 and was getting way more stability than others. Any newer and I would crash almost instantly. But I think you might be on to something because in my x370 build I gave my girl the card works perfectly. Put it back in my x570 and it crashes. I'm using Asus boards instead of GB. I just called it quits and I upgraded to a 2080 to yesterday though.