Radeon VII + B550 = blackscreens?

i've been doing some restructuring of my work setup, and I am now demoting the threadripper system seen in my signature to secondary rig, as i've now got a ryzen 9 3950x build on a brand new gigabyte b550 aorus master with 32gb of gskill tridentz rgb 3600mhz now in an older nzxt phantom 820 case. i'm passing down my radeon vii workstation card from the previous build until the next gen amd or nvidia cards come out. however the radeon vii is now giving me a lot of blackscreen problems when trying to play forza or have a lot of hardware accelerated apps running at once. this happened before in the threadripper system when i was using a single power cable with 2 8pins. i fixed the issue back then by using 2 separate power supply plugs. however now that tactic is no longer working, and i'm on the same seasonic 1200w gold rated power supply, so it cant be that. the motherboard is brand new and other than the blackscreen issues it's running great. 

i'm on the latest drivers and bios. really not sure what to do. i can probably find november 2019 drivers that seemed to be the last before the blackscreen issues on vega7nm/navi started popping up, but that's only as a last resort for me. the build is in an older nzxt phantom 820 case with a 200mm side fan blowing directly into the gpu, so it's definitely not overheating.

is there any modern fixes that i can try to apply?

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

5 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

so it cant be that.

efficiency is not quality 

5 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

run memtest86 and  OCCT to make sure the ram is not the problem 

ddu the drivers 

also did you use the same boot drive ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i'm on the latest drivers and bios. really not sure what to do. i can probably find november 2019 drivers that seemed to be the last before the blackscreen issues on vega7nm/navi started popping up, but that's only as a last resort for me. the build is in an older nzxt phantom 820 case with a 200mm side fan blowing directly into the gpu, so it's definitely not overheating.

I had the unfortunate luck of helping AMD debug some of those driver issues and they mostly fixed it,only for them to return in a later update.

So i know quite a lot about those issues,

Do the black screens happen when you are on the desktop idling,while gaming or both?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

41 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

run memtest86 and  OCCT to make sure the ram is not the problem 

ddu the drivers 

also did you use the same boot drive ?

fresh install on a xpg gen4 1tb m.2. if it was a memory error i think it would bluescreen with an error code not blackscreen. 

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

35 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I had the unfortunate luck of helping AMD debug some of those driver issues and they mostly fixed it,only for them to return in a later update.

So i know quite a lot about those issues,

Do the black screens happen when you are on the desktop idling,while gaming or both?

it is mostly when playing games like forza. however before when i did extensive rendering on the gpu it would always be a 50/50 shot whether it would blackscreen or not. it was a threadripper cpu so i just ran my renders on that for awhile until i found out the separate power plug trick by coincidence when doing a system cleanout. however now that is not working on the b550 motherboard.

when it blackscreens, i've been able to just leave it for a minute or two to get the display back, but the driver was completely crashed or something, as i tried to run another game, went to get a drink while the menu was loading, and came back to a restarted system; i guess it bsod'd..

Just now, gameboy3800 said:

it is mostly when playing games like forza. however before when i did extensive rendering on the gpu it would always be a 50/50 shot whether it would blackscreen or not. it was a threadripper cpu so i just ran my renders on that for awhile until i found out the separate power plug trick by coincidence when doing a system cleanout. however now that is not working on the b550 motherboard.

It sounds more like the drivers,

Try testing the GPU and driver stability with GPUPI 3.3.3,

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

GPUPI 3.3.3 download page:

https://www.overclockers.at/news/gpupi-international-support-thread

Press Calculate and choose 32B HWbot GPU,then press OK to start.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

27 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It sounds more like the drivers,

Try testing the GPU and driver stability with GPUPI 3.3.3,

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

GPUPI 3.3.3 download page:

https://www.overclockers.at/news/gpupi-international-support-thread

Press Calculate and choose 32B HWbot GPU,then press OK to start.

first attempt says it ran out of resources. lowering reduction size to anything below 512 passes without issue tho.

Have you tried setting the PCIe slot to 3.0 in the BIOS?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

i have not, but i thought pcie was forwards and backwards compatible?

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Didn't think of that

But still possiblity to cause the problem.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

i have not, but i thought pcie was forwards and backwards compatible?

It is, but I mean you never know. I'd give it a shot.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

literally its the same power supply that was working 100% in the builds previous incarnation like a week ago.

8 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

first attempt says it ran out of resources. lowering reduction size to anything below 512 passes without issue tho.

So your GPU itself seems fine,probably the drivers.

The black screens seem random but they are not,they tend to happen in specific situations and workloads.

I used to debug the problem with Assassin's Creed Unity and Tekken 7 since i could easily reproduce the issue in those games,although i helped AMD to solve the problem with Tekken.

If you have Assassin's creed Unity,try to complete this mission and tell me if you had a black screen throughout the mission:

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

i've set the slots to be 3.0. i'll see if i can go a few races in forza and report back.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

The black screens seem random but they are not,they tend to happen specific situations and workloads.

I used to debug the problem with Assassin's Creed Unity and Tekken 7 since i could easily reproduce the issue in those games,although i helped AMD to solve the problem with Tekken.

If you have Assassin's creed Unity,try to complete this mission and tell me if you had a black screen throughout the mission:

spacer.png

i'm trying the pcie 3.0 recommendation and i'm going to get back into forza, as that's what i currently have loaded up on this new system. i'll report back later when it either blackscreens or doesnt.

24 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

19 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The black screens seem random but they are not,they tend to happen in specific situations and workloads.

did not work. 2 laps into a race and i get a black screen. the system has not restarted yet. i will try to load another game and see if i get a bsod with a code i can look up.

did not work. 2 laps into a race and i get a black screen.

It's possible that AMD forgot or was not aware that the Radeon VII was affected too by this problem,

From my testing all AMD GPUs from GCN 3.0 had those issues at the time.

Polaris was the least affected as far as i remember.

Another question: Does the system recover from the black screen or you have to restart?

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's possible that AMD forgot or was not aware that the Radeon VII was affected too by this problem,

From my testing all AMD GPUs from GCN 3.0 had those issues at the time.

Polaris was the least affected as far as i remember.

Another question: Does the system recover from the black screen or you have to restart?

the system usually recovers after a minute or two with the game crashed and with nightlight disabled if it was on. this time it hasnt bluescreened/restarted upon launching borderlands like it did before. during loading there was a black flash, but it quickly recovered and i'm still playing it now. granted its a lighter game but still, its working for the moment.

7 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

the system usually recovers after a minute or two with the game crashed and with nightlight disabled if it was on. this time it hasnt bluescreened/restarted upon launching borderlands like it did before. during loading there was a black flash, but it quickly recovered and i'm still playing it now. granted its a lighter game but still, its working for the moment.

The old black screen issue usually recovers,

Sounds like AMD's incompetence strikes again busy improving the UI instead of ironing out bugs and ensuring stability...

There is a reason why Nvidia's UI stayed the same since the 90s - because it works,and no one should mainly focus on such shallow gimmick.

Now you have a task - to find the most stable driver,

Try older drivers and test them,until you stumble upon a driver that just works.

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Sounds like AMD's incompetence strikes again busy improving the UI instead of ironing out bugs and ensuring stability...

There is a reason why Nvidia's UI stayed the same since the 90s - because it works,and no one should mainly focus on such shallow gimmick.

Try older drivers and test them,until you stumble upon a driver that just works.

borderlands is strange in the fact that even though i just had a blackscreen, the game hasnt crashed yet, and in fact even recovered. its still playing.

i have november 2019 drivers that worked fine before but of course i'd like to be able to use something newer.

22 minutes ago, Vishera said:

i've ddu'd the old drivers to put on the even older drivers. let's see how this goes.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

still nope. black screen on what i thought was good drivers. it took 35 mins but it did eventually crash. system was able to recover yet again but this is getting ridiculous. 

I haven't used this card or an amd gpu in some time, but i fallow alot of things like this.

Have you tried disabling Enhanced Sync?

have you tried adding or removing additional monitors?

Edit:

When you say latest driver...Were you using driver 20.5.1 optional  or 20.4.2 Recommended (WHQL)?

Also

Have you tried to see if this happens in a different OS like Linux?

18 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

I haven't used this card or an amd gpu in some time, but i fallow alot of things like this.

Have you tried disabling Enhanced Sync?

have you tried adding or removing additional monitors?

Edit:

When you say latest driver...Were you using driver 20.5.1 optional  or 20.4.2 Recommended (WHQL)?

Also

Have you tried to see if this happens in a different OS like Linux?

i have not tried disabling enhanced sync.

by latest driver i meant the newest optional one, although i just loaded up old 19.11.3 (which was a known good driver for me on my past system) and had the same results.

i can try linux if all else fails.

7 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i have not tried disabling enhanced sync.

by latest driver i meant the newest optional one, although i just loaded up old 19.11.3 (which was a known good driver for me on my past system) and had the same results.

i can try linux if all else fails.

well i guess there is some food for thought.

it will be time consuming, but i'd started with try running 20.4.2

Then try disabling enhanced sync with different driver. 

Also

You can try adding monitors if you have them. Run your games in boarderless window.

you can also use firefox for your browser and disable hardware acceleration without taking to big of hit to performance.

discord is another app that uses hardware acceleration thats not needed if thats an app you use. I would disable that too.

Basically disable hardware acceleration on apps that you don't need it as it maybe a ram leak causing your issues.

Im guessing both your bios and chipset driver are update...?