Do Phone Batteries Wear Out if They Are Connected to Power All the Time?

eric_s07

First of all, this is a question related to phones rather than PCs, so I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I have an iPod Touch 5th generation that's been setting in a drawer for a long time. I'm trying to re-purpose it as a flip clock which I intend to place on my nightstand and the device is going to be connected 24/7 to the power. I was wondering if the iPod Touch's battery will be unusable if I ever want to use it again for listening to music or anything else. I know it's an old device, but those are really expensive and hard to get where I live. It'd be a shame to break it without realizing it. Or maybe I'm exaggerating and nothing will happen. Thanks in advance!

Yeah it is not great for a litium-ion battery to be fully charged all the time. It is definitely not as bad as draining it a tiny amount and then recharging it fully or draining it fully and recharging. But over time it will degrade.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

Depends largely on the battery's management. If the device isn't smart enough to realize it's connected to AC power, and as soon as it hits 100% it cuts the charge, then only starts charging it once it hits say 99%, eventually yes, the battery will die. They have a finite number of charge cycles before they really start to degrade, so for every 100 times it has to charge that 1%, you're losing a charge cycle.

If you're worried about it, I'd just shell out the money for a proper clock.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Thanks everyone! Man you guys are both helpful and quick! I love video game and usually when I post a question in other forums, I get a response hours or even days later 😔

I've had a couple phones due prematurely from this. 

They were a couple generations old tho (galaxy s6 variants iirc) so maybe it's improved now *shrug*

Had a note 8 that i would let charge for quite a while after it hit a 100%, all i can say is that damn phone only lasts 1 hour. Not sure if possible with the ipod touch, but maybe take the battery out and let the phone run on the power from your cable. 

I know the Logitech G903 (not a phone but stay with me) actually stipulates in its manual (for powerplay) not to expect full charge as it lets it drain then charge then drain based on Logitechs own best practice for maintaining the battery. They also say that that it will not charge to 100%. So it depends on the device as to its batter maintenance plan I guess.

My Galaxy Note 9 with a 4000Mah is fully charged and my counter is now 3752Mah fully charged. (AIDA64 BATTERY)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i had a galaxy note 3 die on me from letting it get really low then charging. so that can kill phone-like devices early too if done often. 

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb