Fresh install of windows on new mother board...create a new partition on my SSD and install windows on there?

hedghehog
Go to solution Solved by AndrewReaganM,

Assuming you are okay with losing all data on the disk, in my experience the best thing to do is to boot to the Windows 10 installer and delete all the partitions from in there. Then you can let Windows automatically create all of the partitions.

Hope that helps!

Hi thanks for reading,

Im doing a pretty major upgrade (only keeping my graphics cards) and want to do a fresh install of windows onto my SSD. Can I simply create another partition on the SSD, install windows onto that through a USB drive and then delete the old partition containing the old windows install?

Just wanted to make sure this makes sense/is doable. Thanks for your help! :)

Delete the partitions during the install is the best course of action. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Assuming you are okay with losing all data on the disk, in my experience the best thing to do is to boot to the Windows 10 installer and delete all the partitions from in there. Then you can let Windows automatically create all of the partitions.

Hope that helps!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

6 minutes ago, AndrewReaganM said:

Hope that helps!

Perfect thanks I'lld do this. Yes im gonna move everything I want to keep onto my other HDD's and plug them in after installing windows. Thanks Guys :)

First of all, it's highly recommended you unplug everything except the SSD, because windows is stupid.

Then, when you boot from the installation USB you will get to a screen where it shows all the partitions, there you can click each one and delete it until only "unallocated space" is left.

Then click next, windows will make the necessary partitions and everything will be perfect :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

First of all, it's highly recommended you unplug everything except the SSD, because windows is stupid.

yeah got tired of windows last night at about 2am, decided to make a dual boot of ubuntu, chose the wrong partition, deleted all files.

luckily this is my personal rig not used for work, most of whats on here is games, some screen shots, but mostly benchmarks that dont matter, heres to three days of installing games!

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

yeah got tired of windows last night at about 2am, decided to make a dual boot of ubuntu, chose the wrong partition, deleted all files.

luckily this is my personal rig not used for work, most of whats on here is games, some screen shots, but mostly benchmarks that dont matter, heres to three days of installing games!

Even if you don't choose the wrong partition, windows installer is stupid and may put partitions on other drives for no logical reason, making it impossible to boot without those other drives installed :(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Installing boot partition on other drive is not an issue. Windows is not stupid, it uses UEFI boot and that requires boot partition. If there is ANY boot partition anywhere on any drive, Windows just use it. This happen so often because people installs Windows on SSD when they already have system installed on HDD - and then Windows just use existing boot partition. So no, Windows is not stupid, but you need to know how it works. If you have 4 drives and no boot partition on any of them, Installer create boot partition on the same drive you choose for system installation.

Windows installer do not delete any of YOUR partitions unless you decided to delete them manually. Boot partition is not your partition, it's system partition.

Unplugging all drives except one when you're installing system is good security policy, just in case, but not because Windows is stupid, but because user can accidentally choose wrong option.