Do people still game on 32-bit systems?

Damion

I haven't had a 32-bit system in nearly 20 years, so I have to wonder if anyone playing modern games actually (can) play them on 32-bit systems. There are options in the game menus of games I can't imagine playing in a pre-core2due age, but they ask if you want to play 32 or 64 bit; why?!

What games to do you asking you for 32/64bit. 

Also, afaik 32bit applications actually require less memory to run, but this is almost always out weighed by the fact that 32bit systems are limited to 4gb of RAM. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Well you got to remember that until recently ARM was actually 32 bit, there are actually a fair amount of reasonably fast and capable 32bit systems floating around that can be used for light gaming, and of course their are just those people who can't afford or have simply neglected to purchase anything made in the last 15 years, and many fairly modern game are rather backwards compatible to an extent. (I used to be one of those people up until a few years ago, the fastest computer I had regular access to was powered by a notorious Pentium D which I got for free)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Damion said:

I haven't had a 32-bit system in nearly 20 years, so I have to wonder if anyone playing modern games actually (can) play them on 32-bit systems. There are options in the game menus of games I can't imagine playing in a pre-core2due age, but they ask if you want to play 32 or 64 bit; why?!

I'm sure there are plenty of people on budget builds that are able to play (somewhat) modern games on a 32bit operating system.

1 minute ago, danomicar said:

I'm sure there are plenty of people on budget builds that are able to play (somewhat) modern games on a 32bit operating system.

who even installs 32bit OS any more other than mobile?

You are about 10-15 years late, almost everyone during windows 7 moved to 64bit given 64bit windows was an option in everything above starter.

less than  10% of people who have taken the steam hardware survey have 4gb of ram or less and 15% have less than 8gb

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

who even installs 32bit OS any more other than mobile?

You are about 10-15 years late, almost everyone during windows 7 moved to 64bit given 64bit windows was an option in everything above starter.

less than  10% of people who have taken the steam hardware survey have 4gb of ram or less and 15% have less than 8gb

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Sure, but I think you need to account for the fact that ~10% of Steam's user base is still millions of users, many of whom are conceivably using a 32 bit operating system. 

Most programs looking forward are dropping 32 bit support. I know off the top of my head Blender a while ago dropped 32 bit, as well as BeamNG. Arma 3 apparently launched as a 32, with an update to 64 at some point, but either way the game runs pretty poorly and has issues.

#Muricaparrotgang

7 minutes ago, danomicar said:

Sure, but I think you need to account for the fact that ~10% of Steam's user base is still millions of users, many of whom are conceivably using a 32 bit operating system. 

I talked about ram which maybe an indication or more likely they are using a laptop or desktop based on a DDR2 system which means 4gb Sodium and 2gb desktop dims aren't super cheap or easy to find compared to similar sized DDR3 dims.

only .55 are listed as not running a 64bit OS

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You have to remember that the 64-bit applications used on PCs are based on the x86-64 architecture developed by AMD. The entire reason behind why the architecture was adopted was because it is an extension of 32-bit architecture, compared to the failure of Intel's Itanium processors which were exclusively 64-bit processors and kept none of the compatibility. Because of the architecture, 64-bit applications are also based on an extension of 32-bit applications, making it relatively easy for applications to offer 32-bit compatibility.

It's not so much about the necessity of offering support to 32-bit processors, but the fact that it's very simple to offer compatibility and there isn't much reason for applications to not offer it.

Commander Keen!

32 bit gaming.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER