Alternatives to drilling hole in desk for cable management.

KieranTHeBesT

what else could i do to get rid of my mouse and keyboard cords without drilling a hole in my desk. i want my setup to look clean af.

Can you post a picture of the setup so I can see any possible cable routes?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

8 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

what else could i do to get rid of my mouse and keyboard cords without drilling a hole in my desk. i want my setup to look clean af.

I'm gonna have to second @zeusthemoose, having a picture makes it much easier to give you ideas.

What for example would work for a lot of people is running the keyboard+mouse cables to your monitor and just running them together with its cables. That shortens the cable length.

Or if you have a desk of a particular color, a cable of that same color can make the cable blend in.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just have your cables go between the back of the desk and the wall? That is what I do.

I also route the cables for my three monitors completely behind the stand so unless you look at it from behind you cannot see any of the cables. Little things like that go a long way.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Just have your cables go between the back of the desk and the wall? That is what I do.

I also route the cables for my three monitors completely behind the stand so unless you look at it from behind you cannot see any of the cables. Little things like that go a long way.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

I'm gonna have to second @zeusthemoose, having a picture makes it much easier to give you ideas.

What for example would work for a lot of people is running the keyboard+mouse cables to your monitor and just running them together with its cables. That shortens the cable length.

Or if you have a desk of a particular color, a cable of that same color can make the cable blend in.

would i just have a cable clip on the back of the desk to make sure he mouse doesnt snag on anything?

3 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

would i just have a cable clip on the back of the desk to make sure he mouse doesnt snag on anything?

Clips, zipties, velcro ties, anything works tbh.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

I suppose that's the easiest. Be sure to give your mouse plenty of slack of if you are move your mouse around  a lot.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

I suppose that's the easiest. Be sure to give your mouse plenty of slack of if you are move your mouse around  a lot.

Is this the part where I can make a snarky remark about looking at the calendar and seeing that it's 2020 so there is no reason to buy a wired mouse? :P 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is this the part where I can make a snarky remark about looking at the calendar and seeing that it's 2020 so there is no reason to buy a wired mouse? :P 

well you see i would like to buy a new wireless mouse but im a 15 yearold and my mom wont let me sooo.

5 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

They also make these sleeves that you can zip all of your cables in to keep them neat. I use it to cover the cable from the end of my desk to my computer. I use these.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over my mouse whose battery I never have to change or charge!

/s

But yes, wireless = best cable manegement.

11 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

They also make these sleeves that you can zip all of your cables in to keep them neat. I use it to cover the cable from the end of my desk to my computer. I use these.

thanks i will use one from the back of pc. is there any that is white?

3 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

thanks i will use one from the back of pc. is there any that is white?

Yes. Some are a fabric like material with a zipper and some are plastic so you might want to look on amazon (white cable sleeve) and choose one that is the right length and material for you.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG