Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KieranTHeBesT

Alternatives to drilling hole in desk for cable management.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

what else could i do to get rid of my mouse and keyboard cords without drilling a hole in my desk. i want my setup to look clean af.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you post a picture of the setup so I can see any possible cable routes?


I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/30 Techlinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

what else could i do to get rid of my mouse and keyboard cords without drilling a hole in my desk. i want my setup to look clean af.

I'm gonna have to second @zeusthemoose, having a picture makes it much easier to give you ideas.

What for example would work for a lot of people is running the keyboard+mouse cables to your monitor and just running them together with its cables. That shortens the cable length.

Or if you have a desk of a particular color, a cable of that same color can make the cable blend in.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just have your cables go between the back of the desk and the wall? That is what I do.

 

 

I also route the cables for my three monitors completely behind the stand so unless you look at it from behind you cannot see any of the cables. Little things like that go a long way.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

 

 

 

i use arch btw

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Just have your cables go between the back of the desk and the wall? That is what I do.

 

 

I also route the cables for my three monitors completely behind the stand so unless you look at it from behind you cannot see any of the cables. Little things like that go a long way.

 

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

I'm gonna have to second @zeusthemoose, having a picture makes it much easier to give you ideas.

What for example would work for a lot of people is running the keyboard+mouse cables to your monitor and just running them together with its cables. That shortens the cable length.

Or if you have a desk of a particular color, a cable of that same color can make the cable blend in.

would i just have a cable clip on the back of the desk to make sure he mouse doesnt snag on anything?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

 

would i just have a cable clip on the back of the desk to make sure he mouse doesnt snag on anything?

Clips, zipties, velcro ties, anything works tbh.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

 

 

 

i use arch btw

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

would i just have a cable clip on the back of the desk to make sure he mouse doesnt snag on anything?

I suppose that's the easiest. Be sure to give your mouse plenty of slack of if you are move your mouse around  a lot.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, minibois said:

I suppose that's the easiest. Be sure to give your mouse plenty of slack of if you are move your mouse around  a lot.

Is this the part where I can make a snarky remark about looking at the calendar and seeing that it's 2020 so there is no reason to buy a wired mouse? :P 


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

 

 

 

i use arch btw

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is this the part where I can make a snarky remark about looking at the calendar and seeing that it's 2020 so there is no reason to buy a wired mouse? :P 

well you see i would like to buy a new wireless mouse but im a 15 yearold and my mom wont let me sooo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

 

would i just have a cable clip on the back of the desk to make sure he mouse doesnt snag on anything?

They also make these sleeves that you can zip all of your cables in to keep them neat. I use it to cover the cable from the end of my desk to my computer. I use these.


I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/30 Techlinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is this the part where I can make a snarky remark about looking at the calendar and seeing that it's 2020 so there is no reason to buy a wired mouse? :P 

I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over my mouse whose battery I never have to change or charge!

/s

 

But yes, wireless = best cable manegement.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

They also make these sleeves that you can zip all of your cables in to keep them neat. I use it to cover the cable from the end of my desk to my computer. I use these.

thanks i will use one from the back of pc. is there any that is white?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

thanks i will use one from the back of pc. is there any that is white?

Yes. Some are a fabric like material with a zipper and some are plastic so you might want to look on amazon (white cable sleeve) and choose one that is the right length and material for you.


I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/30 Techlinked

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×