What can i expect from a b360m DS3H?

I plan on upgrading my CPU and GPU to the i9-9900k and my GPU to a 2070 Super what limits are the b360m DS3H going to have on those until i can buy a new motherboard?

You can expect overheating VRMs and general bad times. It's a trash motherboard and the 9900K is a space heater, they don't go well together at all.

Why a 9900K though, especially now? You've got Intel Comet Lake-S around the cornet and Ryzen 3000 with much better upgradability and better performance/dollar and performance/watt.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

and you cant overclock the cpu with that board so it loses to ryzen 9 3900x in gaming very hard

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

40 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

and you cant overclock the cpu with that board so it loses to ryzen 9 3900x in gaming very hard

Well, it might throttle down because of the junk board, but a stock 9900K still beats a 3900X in gaming, let's not get it twisted.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

47 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Well, it might throttle down because of the junk board, but a stock 9900K still beats a 3900X in gaming, let's not get it twisted.

provided you can keep either of them cool. Intel's 95W chips aren't exactly 95W thermally (or power wise). I don't think the board can really handle a 9900K and who knows what protections it has on the VRMs given that it can draw 130W consistently and up to 150W+ peak while boosting or under a stress test.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

55 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

provided you can keep either of them cool. Intel's 95W chips aren't exactly 95W thermally (or power wise). I don't think the board can really handle a 9900K and who knows what protections it has on the VRMs given that it can draw 130W consistently and up to 150W+ peak while boosting or under a stress test.

I bought a castle 240ex 240mm double rad water cool for the cpu. I also have really good case fans.

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

You can expect overheating VRMs and general bad times. It's a trash motherboard and the 9900K is a space heater, they don't go well together at all.

Why a 9900K though, especially now? You've got Intel Comet Lake-S around the cornet and Ryzen 3000 with much better upgradability and better performance/dollar and performance/watt.

Is there a chance it fries the boardÉ overheating VRMs? ive heard of VRM's being an important thing with boards i dont quite understand it even after reading a description it wasnt quite indepth. The reason i cant wait is because I need a better computer right now as im a streaming and currently have an i3-9100f.. Suprisingly it works quite well but on half of the games i play i need to have nothing on in the background except for a few choice programs.

5 minutes ago, Heeelion said:

I bought a castle 240ex 240mm double rad water cool for the cpu. I also have really good case fans.

Is there a chance it fries the boardÉ overheating VRMs? ive heard of VRM's being an important thing with boards i dont quite understand it even after reading a description it wasnt quite indepth. The reason i cant wait is because I need a better computer right now as im a streaming and currently have an i3-9100f.. Suprisingly it works quite well but on half of the games i play i need to have nothing on in the background except for a few choice programs.

Looks like cooling won't be an issue. I don't think the 9900K will make your VRMs go up in smoke, per se, but they will get very hot, if not hot enough to throttle your CPU clocks and limit your turbo boost capability. If you're streaming or doing anything not gaming the 3900X is the better chip due to the extra cores and threads, while simultaneously running more efficiently than the 9900K. 14nm kinda hit a wall once they got to the 8700K and anything more powerful that it just drew exponentially more power.

Edit: I made the jump from a 7600K to an 8700K even when I was just gaming and the extra cores were a godsend. I even tried them side by side at the same core clock (ignoring ipc gains from kaby lake to coffee lake) and the 8700K crushed it in games. I recently got a 3600 over the 3300X for the same reason. Background tasks are still a thing even if 4 cores are technically enough for gaming.

7 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Looks like cooling won't be an issue. I don't think the 9900K will make your VRMs go up in smoke, per se, but they will get very hot, if not hot enough to throttle your CPU clocks and limit your turbo boost capability. If you're streaming or doing anything not gaming the 3900X is the better chip due to the extra cores and threads, while simultaneously running more efficiently than the 9900K. 14nm kinda hit a wall once they got to the 8700K and anything more powerful that it just drew exponentially more power.

Edit: I made the jump from a 7600K to an 8700K even when I was just gaming and the extra cores were a godsend. I even tried them side by side at the same core clock (ignoring ipc gains from kaby lake to coffee lake) and the 8700K crushed it in games. I recently got a 3600 over the 3300X for the same reason. Background tasks are still a thing even if 4 cores are technically enough for gaming.

I have just about 1400 dollars to spend. Im not sure i can afford getting a new board and a good CPU and GPU. Its why im feeling locked in on the 9900k. But would i really be saving enough to go amd with a new board?

1 minute ago, Heeelion said:

I have just about 1400 dollars to spend. Im not sure i can afford getting a new board and a good CPU and GPU why im locking in on the 9900k. But would i really be saving enough to go amd with a new board?

You could go for a 3700X which is $300 and offers most of the 9900K's performance. 

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

You could go for a 3700X which is $300 and offers most of the 9900K's performance. 

I think i would drop quite a bit of performance going from the i9-9900k to the 3700x. Says the i7-9700k does better than the 3700x BUT i would consider it if i was saving enough to buy a decent motherboard but newegg having the best prices that i can see here have the 3700x for 474.94  (all prices in cad) the i7-9700k 539.99 and finally the i9-9900k for 699.99

15 minutes ago, Heeelion said:

I have just about 1400 dollars to spend. Im not sure i can afford getting a new board and a good CPU and GPU. Its why im feeling locked in on the 9900k. But would i really be saving enough to go amd with a new board?

Like what @Mateyyy said the 3700X is the far better buy at $290 compared to the $410 of the 3900X in a gaming workload, especially since the 9900K still hovers around the 450 USD mark. Pair it with a 'good enough' x570 motherboard for $150 or so and spend the rest on a 2080 Super or something :D 

Edit: here's a base that you can hopefully migrate some current parts into, especially if you have enough RAM already or a windows install/game drive you'd like to keep. 

These prices are also inflated given that covid is still ruining supply :/ 

12 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Like what @Mateyyy said the 3700X is the far better buy at $290 compared to the $410 of the 3900X in a gaming workload, especially since the 9900K still hovers around the 450 USD mark. Pair it with a 'good enough' x570 motherboard for $150 or so and spend the rest on a 2080 Super or something :D 

Unfortunately im Canadian so that 1400 isnt USD lol i wouldnt be able to afford a 2080 super but that would be godly. Im just at a moment where i have bought a h510i case i have the water cooler. I have my old setup and it would allow me to buy (better stuff) if i didnt have to buy another motherboard. So haha. You guys are pushing amd and i havnt owned an amd system ever. Ive never had an intel chip do anything but do great all my life. The 3700x doesnt really quite match the i9-9900k. I only have this one chance to do the most with my money and with the budget going with the 3700x with a motherboard only really puts me on the AMD route and gives me less performance for the moment. What other benefits of going temporarily with amd do? is it a future proof motherboard or something? And if so how would that compare with the Intel route?

10 minutes ago, Heeelion said:

Unfortunately im Canadian so that 1400 isnt USD lol i wouldnt be able to afford a 2080 super but that would be godly. Im just at a moment where i have bought a h510i case i have the water cooler. I have my old setup and it would allow me to buy (better stuff) if i didnt have to buy another motherboard. So haha. You guys are pushing amd and i havnt owned an amd system ever. Ive never had an intel chip do anything but do great all my life. The 3700x doesnt really quite match the i9-9900k. I only have this one chance to do the most with my money and with the budget going with the 3700x with a motherboard only really puts me on the AMD route and gives me less performance for the moment. What other benefits of going temporarily with amd do? is it a future proof motherboard or something? And if so how would that be with the Intel route?

the 9900k puts you in a dead end platform on a process node at the end of its legs. In short, there is no upgrade. I may put in a 9900K to replace my 8700K but given that the CPU costs twice as much as my mobo I might as well switch to ryzen. X570 and B550 support Ryzen 3 (4000-series) so I'd expect the 4th gen 16-core to crush it in terms of work and play. long story short either upgrade path requires you to buy a new motherboard since 10th gen intel is LGA 1200.

With that in mind I would go for the 3700x/3900x now, knowing that I can drop in something that will still be a substantial upgrade compared to getting the top end thing now and watch as it gets overtaken in a year or two.

edit: you'll notice that I kind of glossed over 10th gen intel - that's because it as of right now tends to run extremely hot - the 10900K, while being faster than the 3900x in gaming, consumes heaps more power and might even overwhelm a 240mm aio. It's also still on the 14nm node, which like I said hit its wall with coffee lake. Anything more powerful will be hugely inefficient (as shown here and elsewhere:https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-10900k-10-core-cpu-hot-power-hungry-at-stock-benchmarks-reveal/)

17 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Edit: here's a base that you can hopefully migrate some current parts into, especially if you have enough RAM already or a windows install/game drive you'd like to keep. 

These prices are also inflated given that covid is still ruining supply :/ 

I have a 1000w power supply already also have 16gb of 2666mhz memory coming already (sucks i know) i saw the limit on intels cpu's and thought 2666 yay. But like i said im canadian so my budget of 1400 is in cad and unfortunately the 2080 super here is 1400 dollars almost exactly :/ they mark us up idk why.

8 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

the 9900k puts you in a dead end platform on a process node at the end of its legs. In short, there is no upgrade. I may put in a 9900K to replace my 8700K but given that the CPU costs twice as much as my mobo I might as well switch to ryzen. X570 and B550 support Ryzen 3 (4000-series) so I'd expect the 3rd gen 16-core to crush it in terms of work and play. long story short either upgrade path requires you to buy a new motherboard since 10th gen intel is LGA 1200.

With that in mind I would go for the 3700x/3900x now, knowing that I can drop in something that will still be a substantial upgrade compared to getting the top end thing now and watch as it gets overtaken in a year or two.

So the motherboard would still support their next gen chips.. hmm. That does sound like a good deal!

2 minutes ago, Heeelion said:

So the motherboard would still support their next gen chips.. hmm. That does sound like a good deal!

Here's what I've drawn up given the information you've given me - you may choose to get a 3900x and skimp on some gpu or vice versa, up to you. I really tried to get you a 2070 but it's not quite possible with the other choices. You should be able to squeeze it in if you go with 16gb of memory and a b550 board, though!

edit: again, these prices appear inflated due to covid, so I would just wait it out or even go for used, though that market is in shambles atm as well haha

7 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Here's what I've drawn up given the information you've given me - you may choose to get a 3900x and skimp on some gpu or vice versa, up to you. I really tried to get you a 2070 but it's not quite possible with the other choices.

I want to thank you guys i have a ton to think about now when i make my purchase! is there any way to update you guys when i finish my build (pictures an whatnot) its allot to take in ive always liked intel but you guys have made me think about going amd (and with a decent motherboard!)

40 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Just now, Heeelion said:

I want to thank you guys i have a ton to think about now when i make my purchase! is there any way to update you guys when i finish my build (pictures an whatnot) its allot to take in ive always liked intel but you guys have made me think about going amd (and with a decent motherboard!)

let me just say this, either team's offerings will be leaps and bounds ahead of what you currently have, and I'm sure no matter what you go with it'll make you very happy compared to the 9100f. If you do finish it I won't say no to pictures! I am a stickler for cable management, though, so let me warn you about that! Good luck with your build!

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

let me just say this, either team's offerings will be leaps and bounds ahead of what you currently have, and I'm sure no matter what you go with it'll make you very happy compared to the 9100f. If you do finish it I won't say no to pictures! I am a stickler for cable management, though, so let me warn you about that! Good luck with your build!

It will be my first full build. Ive been doing frankenstein builds since i was a kid. I will be a stickler for my own cable management.. But being my first real build i may have to take some liberties xD But i do have the case I chose here the h510i and it seems to have made things really easy! so hopefully that helps! Do i just post a picture here when im done?

Just now, Heeelion said:

It will be my first full build. Ive been doing frankenstein builds since i was a kid. I will be a stickler for my own cable management.. But being my first real build i may have to take some liberties xD But i do have the case I chose here the h510i and it seems to have made things really easy! so hopefully that helps! Do i just post a picture here when im done?

don't see why not, here or in build logs would be good choices. If it's not here just gimme a ping and I'd be really happy :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 2:05 PM, ShadowChaser said:

don't see why not, here or in build logs would be good choices. If it's not here just gimme a ping and I'd be really happy :) 

I posted here and tagged you hoping me sending it here would get it to you faster ❤️