MediaTek caught of providing manufacturers cheating profiles for their chips for performance tests!

Furiku

MTK_678x452.png

Many of us are familiar with Mediatek as a name, as their chips are used everywhere from PCs to mobile devices. 

Cheating in performance tests is nothing new to us, but now it seems that even the part providers for the device manufacturers have joined the army of cheaters and are actively helping their customers (device manufacturers) cheat their customers (consumers like us) (say that 10 times!)

Unfortunately in this latest expose

Mediatek has been caught providing profiles to help cheat in performance tests for the chips they manufacture for their customers.

In the tests performed by Anandtech which broke the story differences in test results from 30% in overall score all the way upwards of 75% in sub-tests from actual performance in some tests was found to have been achieved with the use of these test-detecting profiles.

Consumers are being cheated a lot by the companies using and supporting these and it is directly against your own interests.

It's (Mostly) All MediaTek Devices

Here’s the real kicker though: those files aren’t just present on OPPO devices, they’re very much present in a whole slew of phones by various vendors across the spectrum. I was able to get my hands on some firmware extracts of various devices out there (I didn’t actually possess every phone here), with each one of them having a similar power_whitelist_cfg.xml present in their vendor partition, with nigh identical entries of the benchmark listings. Here’s a breakdown: 

anandtech-mediatek-cheatchart-20200410.j

Mediatek of course in their answer official answer can be quoted to be saying this:

We believe that showcasing the full capabilities of a chipset in benchmarking tests is in line with the practices of other companies and gives consumers an accurate picture of device performance.

So their line of thinking is, everyone is cheating consumers and this is fine?

For the whole story, please read the article in Anandtech:

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15703/mobile-benchmark-cheating-mediatek

repost?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

repost?

Couldn't find it myself when I was looking if there was post on this as it's so lazily written to bump postcount. I dont believe the other post meets the guidelines of tech news posts at all.  Moderators will make decision probably in the end.

-Topic Locked-

Please continue discussion in the above linked post.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25