Network problem

NikitaSch

Hello guys,I have a router d-link dir-615/FB which has 10/100 mgbs wan and lan.but my ISP provides 300 mgbs and I want to buy a new router with 5ghz and 100/1000 mgbs wan and LAN.Will my new router give me full speed of 300 mgbs?

30 minutes ago, NikitaSch said:

Hello guys,I have a router d-link dir-615/FB which has 10/100 mgbs wan and lan.but my ISP provides 300 mgbs and I want to buy a new router with 5ghz and 100/1000 mgbs wan and LAN.Will my new router give me full speed of 300 mgbs?

We can't say if you don't tell us which new router/AP you're getting.

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

We can't say if you don't tell us which new router/AP you're getting.

Mercusys ac12g .I just want to link them with a rj45 cable and don't know if I will get 100mgbs or 300mgbs

1 hour ago, NikitaSch said:

Mercusys ac12g .I just want to link them with a rj45 cable and don't know if I will get 100mgbs or 300mgbs

I have never heard of this brand, but looking at the specification page of this router, you can see support for:

1. Full 1Gbps at the WAN and LAN ports
  2. 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz, 867 Mbps at 5 GHz

So it should be sufficient if your internet connection has a maximum 300Mbps download. However, keep in mind that that number is a best case scenario; many other factors can result in slower speeds.

A wired connection will usually give you the fastest and most reliable connection. As for wireless, the maximal speed will be determined by signal reception, interference and distance from the access point. Try to put as many devices on the 5GHz band for higher potential speeds. 2.4GHz works better over greater distances at less speed.

If the router you choose supports 10/100/1000mbps interfaces and the wireless standards it supports have speeds that exceed 300mbps then yes it will have the capability to fully utilize your ISP service.

8 hours ago, NikitaSch said:

It depends how the ISP is getting the broadband to you.

Is the current router plugged into a modem?  Do you know if that modem supports the 300Mbit and has Gigabit port(s) on it?

One way to check would be to connect your PC directly to it instead of the router and see if you get full speed.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 9:13 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

It depends how the ISP is getting the broadband to you.

Is the current router plugged into a modem?  Do you know if that modem supports the 300Mbit and has Gigabit port(s) on it?

One way to check would be to connect your PC directly to it instead of the router and see if you get full speed.

That's the problem my modem doesn't have gigabits ports,and I want to know if I link my router to my modem will it get full 300 mgbs speed or not?

57 minutes ago, NikitaSch said:

That's the problem my modem doesn't have gigabits ports,and I want to know if I link my router to my modem will it get full 300 mgbs speed or not?

No, if any port in the chain is not capable of gigabit and only 100Mbps then you'll only ever get 100Mbps max regardless of what your ISP provides you with.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It sounds like you'll need to get your ISP to replace your modem (although I suspect that they will once you order the faster service)