Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dandapani108

What causes PSU external cable (PSU to power socket) to explode ?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My PC is around two years old and last night when I switched on my computer, a few minutes later the cable connecting the cpu (power supply) and the power socket of the spike buster just caught fire and exploded. Fortunately only the cable was damaged.

What could cause such an accident ?

 

When i built this PC, as the psu external power cable pin wasn't as per the standards of my country the shop keeper gave me a locally made cable (this was not a branded cable). - Was this caused by the faulty cable that was worn out over the period of 2 years ?

I use a spike buster (it has an in-built surge protection circuit) to connect my CPU, Monitor and Speakers (3 components) to the single power socket on the wall. - Was this caused by this spike buster ?

 

Currently I'm using cable that came with the PSU (As it is compatible with the spike buster), this cable has an inbuilt fuse inside and i'm hoping it will be safe.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends where it occurred. In the cable or the plug? However after 2 years I would hazard it was most likely misuse.


If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So you weren't using the default cable that came with the PSU before?
More than likely, the PSU pushed more power through the cable than it is rated for.


I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, keskparane said:

Depends where it occurred. In the cable or the plug? However after 2 years I would hazard it was most likely misuse.

I happened on the cable, the plug doesn't seem damaged.

The outer rubber sheath of the cable was burnt from the inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dandapani108 said:

I happened on the cable, the plug doesn't seem damaged.

The outer rubber sheath of the cable was burnt from the inside.

So like @minibois said check the cable rating matches standards. ( 10Amp? )

Running over a cable with a chair etc can damage them.

 


If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

I happened on the cable, the plug doesn't seem damaged.

The outer rubber sheath of the cable was burnt from the inside.

That sounds exactly like I described, more power going through the cable than it was meant for.

Kinda like what probably happened here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1146690-i-should-have-known-better-than-to-use-a-cable-splitter/

or here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1136066-molex-to-pci-e-adapter-melted/

 

A wire melting means it was carrying more electricity than it was rated for.


I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
48 minutes ago, keskparane said:

So like @minibois said check the cable rating matches standards. ( 10Amp? )

Running over a cable with a chair etc can damage them.

 

The old burnt cable is saying 10Amp 250Volts and so is the new one.

unnamed.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So this new cable which has a rating of 10Amp ~250 should be good enough for a 600 watt psu right ?

 

6 hours ago, minibois said:

That sounds exactly like I described, more power going through the cable than it was meant for.

Kinda like what probably happened here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1146690-i-should-have-known-better-than-to-use-a-cable-splitter/

or here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1136066-molex-to-pci-e-adapter-melted/

 

A wire melting means it was carrying more electricity than it was rated for.

But the burnt wire read 10amps and 250 volts

 

6 hours ago, Dandapani108 said:

The old burnt cable is saying 10Amp 250Volts and so is the new one.

unnamed.jpg

This is the new cable that has an in-built fuse

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

So this new cable which has a rating of 10Amp ~250 should be good enough for a 600 watt psu right ?

10A x 250V = 2500W


If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Did the old cable not have a fused plug attached?

No it didn't. Also I had used that cable with 360 watt psu earlier, when i upgraded my psu to 600  watt i used the same cable.

only difference between the 2 cables is old cable didn't have fuse plug.

Both of them are 10amp and 250volts

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, keskparane said:

10A x 250V = 2500W

So i'm guessing the cable must have worn out after 2 years of use?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

So i'm guessing the cable must have worn out after 2 years of use?

Well it should only have worn out if damaged in some way. Could be accidentally put desk on it, stand on it with heel, drop something heavy on it, etc.


If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, keskparane said:

Well it should only have worn out if damaged in some way. Could be accidentally put desk on it, stand on it with heel, drop something heavy on it, etc.

Not all, it was sitting between the wall and cpu. i have never tampered with that cable in any way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Then this was a cheap piece of junk cable with super thin wires inside that was mislabeled. Common from your bottom dollar Eastern supplies.


F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K / GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

* title edited *

 

This is a CPU ;

Intel-i7-9700K-CPU.thumb.jpg.e12ab5799c8260b6ee8ac2f3fd66726c.jpg

 

It doesn't plug into the mains power, what you're showing in pictures is the PSU cord (Power Supply Unit), that's entirely different ;)


If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

 

VPN server guide

Guide to run any software as Admin

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

* title edited *

 

This is a CPU ;

Intel-i7-9700K-CPU.thumb.jpg.e12ab5799c8260b6ee8ac2f3fd66726c.jpg

 

It doesn't plug into the mains power, what you're showing in pictures is the PSU cord (Power Supply Unit), that's entirely different ;)

Sorry i meant to say cabinet. Its an old habit, calling the entire cabinet as the cpu.

So its was just a fault cable right? because im kinda scared to operate the computer after that incident

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

Sorry i meant to say cabinet. Its an old habit, calling the entire cabinet as the cpu.

No problem :)

29 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

So its was just a fault cable right? because im kinda scared to operate the computer after that incident

Seems like it, change the cable and see if everything is working properly, make sure there's no "buzzing" electrical sound or hissing sound, as this could indicate an issue with the PSU.


If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

 

VPN server guide

Guide to run any software as Admin

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

No problem :)

Seems like it, change the cable and see if everything is working properly, make sure there's no "buzzing" electrical sound or hissing sound, as this could indicate an issue with the PSU.

I don't think there is any noise coming out of the cabinet apart from the fan noises and hard disk noise. I have used the new cable for around 2 days now, didn't notice anything new. Hopefully the issue is resolved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to double check. Does the actual cable have 10Amp on it or just the plug?


If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dandapani108 said:

No it didn't. Also I had used that cable with 360 watt psu earlier, when i upgraded my psu to 600  watt i used the same cable.

only difference between the 2 cables is old cable didn't have fuse plug.

Both of them are 10amp and 250volts

Then it was NOT a UK made plug, nor was it standards compliant. All UK domestic plugs must be fitted with a fuse. It's likely the cable was aluminium and way under-rated for the load. Lucky you didn't have a fire on your hands with that one.


Probably banned for disagreeing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, keskparane said:

Just to double check. Does the actual cable have 10Amp on it or just the plug?

60227 IEC 53 (RVV) 300/500V                          3AS L/75 4V-75 v-75 degree-centigrade 250/440V

The cable has this written all over it. (Please help me understand it)

 

Both the 3 pin plug and the 3 pin socket (the end that connects into the PSU) has 10AMPS/250 Volts written over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dandapani108 said:

60227 IEC 53 (RVV) 300/500V

So the cable will be 6th one on this list http://www.chaus.com/product-detail-215.html so 0.75mm3 cable with 0.6mm insulation in a 0.8mm sheath.

I would rate that as a 6 amp cable so should still be fine. 6A x 250V = 1500W

 

Just wanna put a disclaimer in here since dealing with power. I can't say for certain that the above information is correct.

 

So I guess if you have a 10 Amp fused plug with 6 Amp cable then it's wrong IMO. The fuse should be the weakest point AFAIK.


If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×