What causes PSU external cable (PSU to power socket) to explode ?

Dandapani

My PC is around two years old and last night when I switched on my computer, a few minutes later the cable connecting the cpu (power supply) and the power socket of the spike buster just caught fire and exploded. Fortunately only the cable was damaged.

What could cause such an accident ?

When i built this PC, as the psu external power cable pin wasn't as per the standards of my country the shop keeper gave me a locally made cable (this was not a branded cable). - Was this caused by the faulty cable that was worn out over the period of 2 years ?

I use a spike buster (it has an in-built surge protection circuit) to connect my CPU, Monitor and Speakers (3 components) to the single power socket on the wall. - Was this caused by this spike buster ?

Currently I'm using cable that came with the PSU (As it is compatible with the spike buster), this cable has an inbuilt fuse inside and i'm hoping it will be safe.

Depends where it occurred. In the cable or the plug? However after 2 years I would hazard it was most likely misuse.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

So you weren't using the default cable that came with the PSU before?
More than likely, the PSU pushed more power through the cable than it is rated for.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, keskparane said:

Depends where it occurred. In the cable or the plug? However after 2 years I would hazard it was most likely misuse.

I happened on the cable, the plug doesn't seem damaged.

The outer rubber sheath of the cable was burnt from the inside.

Just now, Dandapani108 said:

So like @minibois said check the cable rating matches standards. ( 10Amp? )

Running over a cable with a chair etc can damage them.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

6 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

That sounds exactly like I described, more power going through the cable than it was meant for.

Kinda like what probably happened here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1146690-i-should-have-known-better-than-to-use-a-cable-splitter/

or here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1136066-molex-to-pci-e-adapter-melted/

A wire melting means it was carrying more electricity than it was rated for.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

48 minutes ago, keskparane said:

So like @minibois said check the cable rating matches standards. ( 10Amp? )

Running over a cable with a chair etc can damage them.

The old burnt cable is saying 10Amp 250Volts and so is the new one.

unnamed.jpg

So this new cable which has a rating of 10Amp ~250 should be good enough for a 600 watt psu right ?

6 hours ago, minibois said:

That sounds exactly like I described, more power going through the cable than it was meant for.

Kinda like what probably happened here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1146690-i-should-have-known-better-than-to-use-a-cable-splitter/

or here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1136066-molex-to-pci-e-adapter-melted/

A wire melting means it was carrying more electricity than it was rated for.

But the burnt wire read 10amps and 250 volts

6 hours ago, Dandapani108 said:

The old burnt cable is saying 10Amp 250Volts and so is the new one.

unnamed.jpg

This is the new cable that has an in-built fuse

37 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

So this new cable which has a rating of 10Amp ~250 should be good enough for a 600 watt psu right ?

10A x 250V = 2500W

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Did the old cable not have a fused plug attached?

No it didn't. Also I had used that cable with 360 watt psu earlier, when i upgraded my psu to 600  watt i used the same cable.

only difference between the 2 cables is old cable didn't have fuse plug.

Both of them are 10amp and 250volts

9 minutes ago, keskparane said:

10A x 250V = 2500W

So i'm guessing the cable must have worn out after 2 years of use?

2 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

So i'm guessing the cable must have worn out after 2 years of use?

Well it should only have worn out if damaged in some way. Could be accidentally put desk on it, stand on it with heel, drop something heavy on it, etc.

1 minute ago, keskparane said:

Well it should only have worn out if damaged in some way. Could be accidentally put desk on it, stand on it with heel, drop something heavy on it, etc.

Not all, it was sitting between the wall and cpu. i have never tampered with that cable in any way.

Then this was a cheap piece of junk cable with super thin wires inside that was mislabeled. Common from your bottom dollar Eastern supplies.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

* title edited *

This is a CPU ;

Intel-i7-9700K-CPU.thumb.jpg.e12ab5799c8260b6ee8ac2f3fd66726c.jpg

It doesn't plug into the mains power, what you're showing in pictures is the PSU cord (Power Supply Unit), that's entirely different ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

* title edited *

This is a CPU ;

Intel-i7-9700K-CPU.thumb.jpg.e12ab5799c8260b6ee8ac2f3fd66726c.jpg

It doesn't plug into the mains power, what you're showing in pictures is the PSU cord (Power Supply Unit), that's entirely different ;)

Sorry i meant to say cabinet. Its an old habit, calling the entire cabinet as the cpu.

So its was just a fault cable right? because im kinda scared to operate the computer after that incident

29 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

Sorry i meant to say cabinet. Its an old habit, calling the entire cabinet as the cpu.

No problem :)

29 minutes ago, Dandapani108 said:

So its was just a fault cable right? because im kinda scared to operate the computer after that incident

Seems like it, change the cable and see if everything is working properly, make sure there's no "buzzing" electrical sound or hissing sound, as this could indicate an issue with the PSU.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

No problem :)

Seems like it, change the cable and see if everything is working properly, make sure there's no "buzzing" electrical sound or hissing sound, as this could indicate an issue with the PSU.

I don't think there is any noise coming out of the cabinet apart from the fan noises and hard disk noise. I have used the new cable for around 2 days now, didn't notice anything new. Hopefully the issue is resolved.

Just to double check. Does the actual cable have 10Amp on it or just the plug?

21 hours ago, Dandapani108 said:

No it didn't. Also I had used that cable with 360 watt psu earlier, when i upgraded my psu to 600  watt i used the same cable.

only difference between the 2 cables is old cable didn't have fuse plug.

Both of them are 10amp and 250volts

Then it was NOT a UK made plug, nor was it standards compliant. All UK domestic plugs must be fitted with a fuse. It's likely the cable was aluminium and way under-rated for the load. Lucky you didn't have a fire on your hands with that one.

12 hours ago, keskparane said:

Just to double check. Does the actual cable have 10Amp on it or just the plug?

60227 IEC 53 (RVV) 300/500V                          3AS L/75 4V-75 v-75 degree-centigrade 250/440V

The cable has this written all over it. (Please help me understand it)

Both the 3 pin plug and the 3 pin socket (the end that connects into the PSU) has 10AMPS/250 Volts written over it.

9 hours ago, Dandapani108 said:

60227 IEC 53 (RVV) 300/500V

So the cable will be 6th one on this list http://www.chaus.com/product-detail-215.html so 0.75mm3 cable with 0.6mm insulation in a 0.8mm sheath.

I would rate that as a 6 amp cable so should still be fine. 6A x 250V = 1500W

Just wanna put a disclaimer in here since dealing with power. I can't say for certain that the above information is correct.

So I guess if you have a 10 Amp fused plug with 6 Amp cable then it's wrong IMO. The fuse should be the weakest point AFAIK.