34" ultrawide objects on sides stretched

name66

Hello, i just bought 34" UWQHD 120hz gsync monitor, absolutely love the screen except in gaming not so much :D I noticed that size of objects change a lot just by moving with mouse ( small in the middle, streched on sides) is there a way how to prevent it ? As you can see the rock is small when its in the middle and big / streched when on side, even though i am standing at the same spot. Or is it specific for ultrawide technology ? Really love the panel but I would have to return it if there is no way arround. THX

88191422_953045138431065_8641297513187377152_n.jpg

That has everything to do with the game's setup and view angle...try setting it to 90 degrees...play with it till it looks ok.

4 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

That has everything to do with the game's setup and view angle...try setting it to 90 degrees...play with it till it looks ok.

thanks for the answer -> default setting as on photos is FOV of 90. Tried pretty much every FOV nothing helps

5 hours ago, name66 said:

Hello, i just bought 34" UWQHD 120hz gsync monitor, absolutely love the screen except in gaming not so much :D I noticed that size of objects change a lot just by moving with mouse ( small in the middle, streched on sides) is there a way how to prevent it ? As you can see the rock is small when its in the middle and big / streched when on side, even though i am standing at the same spot. Or is it specific for ultrawide technology ? Really love the panel but I would have to return it if there is no way arround. THX

88191422_953045138431065_8641297513187377152_n.jpg

Adjusting field of view is supposed to fix it to a certain degree. It's just a few fps games that will display this. Maybe racing games. Some FPS games have absolutely no problem like that at all. That's based on my experience with my Predator X34P. I really wouldn't return it. Ultrawide monitors are awesome. I'm never going back (only that I do, when working at an iMac at my office lol)

8 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Adjusting field of view is supposed to fix it to a certain degree. It's just a few fps games that will display this. Maybe racing games. Some FPS games have absolutely no problem like that at all. That's based on my experience with my Predator X34P. I really wouldn't return it. Ultrawide monitors are awesome. I'm never going back (only that I do, when working at an iMac at my office lol)

thanks for the response. So far every fps game i tried did it. Apex, Borderlands, Rage 2. In rage 2 really low FOV almost fixed it , but that low FOV wasnt  enjoyable at all. But I will try more games then . Coz otherwise really love the screen its alienware aw3418dw just resizing of objects is very annoying.

2 hours ago, name66 said:

thanks for the response. So far every fps game i tried did it. Apex, Borderlands, Rage 2. In rage 2 really low FOV almost fixed it , but that low FOV wasnt  enjoyable at all. But I will try more games then . Coz otherwise really love the screen its alienware aw3418dw just resizing of objects is very annoying.

I barely play any FPS games, so that might be the case I don't notice anything. There are a few games that they tune the FOV to your display, like Star Wars Battlefront 2 (maybe the first one as well). Son in the case of this game, even if it shows on the settings fov "x", it will actually be something else adjusted automatically. Hopefully there won't be a problem on Cyberpunk 2077. That an Final Fantasy VII remade are the top ones of the year for me.

Well, depends on game how it handles FoV and aspect ratios. Some don't properly support 21:9 but just stretch it, those that do can show you more with higher FoV with less distortion. 

Personally I play Apex Legends on 16:9 110 FoV which I like. I guess you can just fiddle with FoV to see what fits you, or maybe play with black bars or return the monitor, your choice really. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

25 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well, depends on game how it handles FoV and aspect ratios. Some don't properly support 21:9 but just stretch it, those that do can show you more with higher FoV with less distortion. 

Personally I play Apex Legends on 16:9 110 FoV which I like. I guess you can just fiddle with FoV to see what fits you, or maybe play with black bars or return the monitor, your choice really. 

Don't tell him to return. He may listen ?

16 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Don't tell him to return. He may listen ?

Well, I mean not sure how much he cares, or what he plays mainly. I play a lot of fps and even use 4:3 at times so there's that. But yeah I guess he could experiment with FoV more to find the balance I guess.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well, I mean not sure how much he cares, or what he plays mainly. I play a lot of fps and even use 4:3 at times so there's that. But yeah I guess he could experiment with FoV more to find the balance I guess.

Ultrawide is the biggest cheat you can use for League of Legends. You get extra screen, not like Dota 2 where you get black bars. You can see enemies coming from a loooong distance.

It is the main reason I have a 16:9 gaming rig and a 21:9 gaming rig.

One of my all time favorite games is Skyrim(2011 version) and it does not like 21:9 at all.  It is strange since Oblivion, Fallout 3 and NV do it alot better but not perfect.  

For Fallout 4 I use mods to do 21:9.

Sometimes the program Flawless Screen fixes the issues but I rarely use it now.  https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 10 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, HumdrumPenguin said:

Ultrawide is the biggest cheat you can use for League of Legends. You get extra screen, not like Dota 2 where you get black bars. You can see enemies coming from a loooong distance.

Using what others do not have isnt a cheat... Using programs that if illegal ingame, is a cheat. So with your logic, a guy using a mouse with more buttons than you is cheating because he has a advantage over you. lol... And macro'd m/kb AND or better brands with more features, the list goes on. Its PC gaming where people have different hardware than you and better and it was never an issue besides a few cheap whiners. Its never unfair for a person to play with a 21:9 or a 32:9 while you play on 16:9 because a game like Dota or LoL or a fps game in pvp because pvp doesn't mean competitiveness nor does it mean you're in a loss if you lose so why complain people run better monitors than you? Also hypocritical for people to complain when they may be running a better GPU with a high refresh monitor than others even if they other person is running a 21:9 60hz and the complainer is running a 240hz 16:9 and yet he complains. If people playing on different combos than you bothers you (generally speaking) then play on consoles.

That said, i just upgraded from a 21:9 to a 32:9 and now i been seeing such complainers even in years old post. Also, i said like im complaining over complainers lol.

On 3/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, HumdrumPenguin said:

Lol by that logic so are high end gaming mice, surround headsets, high end GPU's, mechanical keyboards, and along with the Ultra wides which u already stated, so are those who choose to play at a different resolution, including ultrawide resolution that ANYONE without a ultrawide display can still choose to run to get the SAME result.

For example i can run at 21:9 or even 32:9 on my 16:9 display simply by running a custom resolution and disabling scaling. And i do this from time to time.

OP, the only thing i can suggest is changing the FOV as others have already stated. Lowering it reduces the fish eye lens effect ur experiencing.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

20 hours ago, Hoochi said:

Using what others do not have isnt a cheat... Using programs that if illegal ingame, is a cheat. So with your logic, a guy using a mouse with more buttons than you is cheating because he has a advantage over you. lol... And macro'd m/kb AND or better brands with more features, the list goes on. Its PC gaming where people have different hardware than you and better and it was never an issue besides a few cheap whiners. Its never unfair for a person to play with a 21:9 or a 32:9 while you play on 16:9 because a game like Dota or LoL or a fps game in pvp because pvp doesn't mean competitiveness nor does it mean you're in a loss if you lose so why complain people run better monitors than you? Also hypocritical for people to complain when they may be running a better GPU with a high refresh monitor than others even if they other person is running a 21:9 60hz and the complainer is running a 240hz 16:9 and yet he complains. If people playing on different combos than you bothers you (generally speaking) then play on consoles.

That said, i just upgraded from a 21:9 to a 32:9 and now i been seeing such complainers even in years old post. Also, i said like im complaining over complainers lol.

17 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Lol by that logic so are high end gaming mice, surround headsets, high end GPU's, mechanical keyboards, and along with the Ultra wides which u already stated, so are those who choose to play at a different resolution, including ultrawide resolution that ANYONE without a ultrawide display can still choose to run to get the SAME result.

For example i can run at 21:9 or even 32:9 on my 16:9 display simply by running a custom resolution and disabling scaling. And i do this from time to time.

OP, the only thing i can suggest is changing the FOV as others have already stated. Lowering it reduces the fish eye lens effect ur experiencing.

I wasn't complaining or condemning anyone. I use ultrawide myself. I just wanted to make a point that in my opinion ultrawide is really good, and would be beneficial in a game such as League. You've made it abundantly clear that I could have worded it better though, lol. Chill, good people.

Edited by HumdrumPenguin

• 3 months later...

Hi, I was doing some research on this topic myself as it looks like it's very game dependent. This video from Optimum Tech explains well the issue and it clearly shows that Apex Legends is doing ultrawide poorly compared to other games.

Ultrawide can be hit or miss. Some games work, many don't. If you're not into tweaking settings ultrawide might not be for you. I went back to 16:9 myself because of this.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.