Which PSU would you recomend? Corsair vs Seasonic

Tobal245

I am starting a new build and wanted to know which of these PSU would you recomend .

The Corsair AX 850 Titanium or the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850?

Thank you

Probably neither. Both are single rail, and with a pretty mediocre fan.

:)

Coincidentally I believe Seasonic is the OEM for the AX platinum so you're not picking two very different power supplies either way. What are you powering that needs 850 watts?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

So whats better than those or what would you get?

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Coincidentally I believe Seasonic is the OEM for the AX platinum so you're not picking two very different power supplies either way. What are you powering that needs 850 watts?

next gen intel maximus formula G.skill trident z 32gb 4000mz ram samsung 970 evo plus custom loop 2080ti

2 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

next gen intel maximus formula G.skill trident z 32gb 4000mz ram samsung 970 evo plus custom loop 2080ti

You could probably toss a 650 watt PSU in and you'd have much more than you need. (Although we don't actually know how much power 10th gen Intel will use)

The RM650X from Corsair would be a good call.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

whichever you fancy more, functionally they'll be either close enough or the same.

16 minutes ago, seon123 said:

or you flip them fan side up, and you'll never hear the fan, because it will never need to spin.

13 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

So whats better than those or what would you get?

That depends on what is available/where you're buying from

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

whichever you fancy more, functionally they'll be either close enough or the same.

or you flip them fan side up, and you'll never hear the fan, because it will never need to spin.

Depends on what system they will use. Also, pay a premium price for an option that has clearly cut costs by omitting a protection and by choosing a mediocre fan? Why not go for a PSU that has multi rail and a better fan?

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Depends on what system they will use. Also, pay a premium price for an option that has clearly cut costs by omitting a protection and by choosing a mediocre fan? Why not go for a PSU that has multi rail and a better fan?

have an example for psu's with better fans? as far as i'm aware, just about all of them use whatever cheapest type of fan the OEM has on the shelf.

Just now, manikyath said:

have an example for psu's with better fans? as far as i'm aware, just about all of them use whatever cheapest type of fan the OEM has on the shelf.

Be Quiet uses the Silent Wings 3 fan in several of their PSUs, Corsair uses NR135 variants in many of their higher end PSUs. When Corsair needed to cut costs converting the RMx into the cheaper RM, they downgraded the fan to essentially the same fan that Seasonic uses in the Prime. Those are the first ones that come into mind

1 hour ago, Tobal245 said:

The Corsair AX 850 Titanium or the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850?

They're the same. The Corsair AX850 Titanium is a Prime Titanium under the hood. I can't remember if there have been any changes made. Essentially the choice comes down to which one you like the look of, which has the best warranty, and which has the best price.

They're both good, but expensive. You could step down to a Prime Platinum, Corsair HX/HXi, Straight Power 11 Platinum, etc and save $50+.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, seon123 said:

Be Quiet uses the Silent Wings 3 fan in several of their PSUs, Corsair uses NR135 variants in many of their higher end PSUs. When Corsair needed to cut costs converting the RMx into the cheaper RM, they downgraded the fan to essentially the same fan that Seasonic uses in the Prime. Those are the first ones that come into mind

So u saying a gold is better than a titanium?

55 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

So u saying a gold is better than a titanium?

80+ gold and titanium says something about efficiency. Other things on the PSU decide which is better. 

But if you are going to pay for overkill, then there are better options. 

You are looking to pay about 200-250$ for a PSU it seems. 

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

80+ gold and titanium says something about efficiency. Other things on the PSU decide which is better. 

But if you are going to pay for overkill, then there are better options. 

You are looking to pay about 200-250$ for a PSU it seems. 

Yea sure, but like what options?

4 hours ago, Tobal245 said:

Yea sure, but like what options?

Antec HCP platinum is overkill and pretty much top tier. 

But you do get quiet units for less. Like the rmx or straightpower 11.

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Antec HCP platinum is overkill and pretty much top tier. 

But you do get quiet units for less. Like the rmx or straightpower 11.

I dont know much about pricings all I knew was that the best brands for PSU were seasonic and Corsair and antec and all those were the cheep alternatives

5 hours ago, Tobal245 said:

all I knew was that the best brands for PSU were seasonic and Corsair 

There is no "best brand" for PSUs. Its all about the specific units. 

If seasonic is best brand, then RSY is aswell. 

If corsair is best brand, then Andyson CWT, flextronics, HEC and more are best brands.

The thing is, everyone has some gold units and some bad units. 

6 hours ago, Tobal245 said:

antec and all those were the cheep alternatives

Antec HCP platinum is a Delta GM plattform PSU. Same one cooler master uses for their V1300 platinum. That specific unit is really, really good. 

You dont judge a PSU by the sticker placed on it. You judge the unit itself. Otherwise you end up with people famboying for companies like Evga, seasonic or corsair. 

On 2/21/2020 at 2:55 AM, GoldenLag said:

There is no "best brand" for PSUs. Its all about the specific units. 

If seasonic is best brand, then RSY is aswell. 

If corsair is best brand, then Andyson CWT, flextronics, HEC and more are best brands.

The thing is, everyone has some gold units and some bad units. 

Antec HCP platinum is a Delta GM plattform PSU. Same one cooler master uses for their V1300 platinum. That specific unit is really, really good. 

You dont judge a PSU by the sticker placed on it. You judge the unit itself. Otherwise you end up with people famboying for companies like Evga, seasonic or corsair. 

Sorry that I took so much time so if I get a titanium unit it would be the same if it was seasonic or corsair/ all of the other ones?

4 hours ago, Tobal245 said:

Sorry that I took so much time so if I get a titanium unit it would be the same if it was seasonic or corsair/ all of the other ones?

Id get the ax, but id also just suggest getting neither and save 150$ by getting a straight power 11 or something

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Id get the ax, but id also just suggest getting neither and save 150$ by getting a straight power 11 or something

Ok thank you so I would get the corsair AX 850 titanium 

1 minute ago, Tobal245 said:

Ok thank you so I would get the corsair AX 850 titanium 

id honestly suggest neither. 

there are usually better PSUs around that pricepoint. and you probably dont need the ammount of power it provides. and comments from other suggest the fan is pretty mediocre. 

looking at previous posts it looks like you are powering a top end consumer system. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DQx9TW/bitfenix-whisper-m-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg650umag-7fm

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rj22FT/be-quiet-straight-power-11-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn282

either of these are allready really quiet. 

14 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

id honestly suggest neither. 

there are usually better PSUs around that pricepoint. and you probably dont need the ammount of power it provides. and comments from other suggest the fan is pretty mediocre. 

looking at previous posts it looks like you are powering a top end consumer system. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DQx9TW/bitfenix-whisper-m-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg650umag-7fm

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rj22FT/be-quiet-straight-power-11-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn282

either of these are allready really quiet. 

Realy I always thought that the be quiet was the cheap alternative also here my link

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $469.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste $7.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard $559.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $219.99 @ Amazon
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card $1199.99 @ Best Buy
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case $249.99 @ Corsair
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $249.99 @ Corsair
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit $199.99 @ HP
Case Fan Corsair ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120 mm Fan $34.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140 mm Fan $37.69 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140 mm Fan $37.69 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus ROG SWIFT PG27UQ 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor $1458.75 @ Amazon
Monitor LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $496.99 @ B&H
Custom Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 20-SERIES GPU Water Block (2080 TI FE) $149.99
Custom Hydro X Series XR5 360mm Water Cooling Radiator $69.99
Custom Hydro X Series XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo $154.99
Custom Hydro X Series XR5 280mm Water Cooling Radiator $64.99
Custom Hydro X Series XC7 RGB CPU Water Block (115X/AM4) $74.99
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $5843.94
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-25 00:15 EST-0500  

Realy I always thought that the be quiet was the cheap alternative

They have models across the board. 

Straight power is pretty cheap, but its also an excellent PSU. 

Swap to a gen 4 drive or a A80 from silicon power. 

Would suggest getting the gigabyte auros master instead. 

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

They have models across the board. 

Straight power is pretty cheap, but its also an excellent PSU. 

Swap to a gen 4 drive or a A80 from silicon power. 

Would suggest getting the gigabyte auros master instead. 

Well i can take your sugestions but 1 why gen 4 if the benchamarks say tehsamsung is going better?

And the aurorus extreme and the formula werent the equivalents because im doing a custom loop and the formula is made for that?

49 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

Well i can take your sugestions but 1 why gen 4 if the benchamarks say tehsamsung is going better?

you are spending 4th gen money on a drive that isnt much better than a silicon power A80. 

50 minutes ago, Tobal245 said:

And the aurorus extreme and the formula werent the equivalents because im doing a custom loop and the formula is made for that?

ah, that makes a touch more sense. tho the chipset fan will sadly still be there.