Will CORONA VIRUS cause inflation of PC Hardware prices

Lk09p
5 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

there are some other consumer items that are being affected already, can't say the production of certain components for PC could be affected. it is very possible depending on hthe intensity of the spread i guess.

I'm pretty sure I read that Samsung, Nvidia, Apple & Tesla have stopped all production out of China for now. Can't remember where I read it though.

Its almost certainly going to have an effect, how big that ends up being remains to be seen.

Interestingly we have been affected at our place of work. We manufacture Fibreglass body parts for Cat & JCB and last week JCB announced their UK plant will only be running 34 hour weeks because they're having supply chain issues from China. This has meant our order numbers have decreased too.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I would be more worried about your government using it as an excuse to increase import tariff's or some shit than an actual supply demand issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/15/2020 at 4:50 PM, Arika S said:

OP's not concerned about the economical effects, they care about PC prices and PC hardware, they had a another post within 10 minutes of this one asking if they would get the virus from parts made in China. If the question was "what effect is the virus going to have on the world economy and distribution of all products manufactured in china" then i wouldn't have an issue.

I take issue with people (not just OP, because there has been a number of posts on this forum) that are immediately concerned about the virus because it might impact PC prices.

EDIT: fuck it, i'm out, I'm not going to get into another argument about this Virus...

He asked whether it would increase prices. He didnt state the prices were going up because of it. Your assumption is unreasonable.

I don’t doubt there will be a bump.  The questions how big and long the bump will be and will he need to buy at the top of the bump or after it subsides.  The bump is rising.  No one knows how long it will last.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, Lk09p said:

I am from india and going to buy a new pc next week , since all pc components are manufactured in CHINA ( which is facing CORONA VIRUS outbreak right now ) and JAN imports are currently on the selves of my local stores , can i get infected just from them .

Inflate prices? Probably not. Go out of stock? Most likely. My employer is having similar issues. We produce products in China and the factories have been down for a month. Thankfully we have inventory on hand, but it won’t last forever. While they are trying to move production to another country. We are going to end up running out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Inflate prices? Probably not. Go out of stock? Most likely. My employer is having similar issues. We produce products in China and the factories have been down for a month. Thankfully we have inventory on hand, but it won’t last forever. While they are trying to move production to another country. We are going to end up running out. 

Not all components are manufactured in China. CPUs, GPUs, and many motherboards are not. Cases are done in lots of places.  What IS though is that PARTS FOR GPUs and motherboards ARE.  “For want of a nail the kingdom was lost” and all that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, Lurick said:

Most coronavirus strains live for between 4 to 5 days but there are some instances where strains can survive for around nine days at room temperature with lower temperatures increasing this lifespan outside the body. However unless OP is overnight shipping the parts directly and the factory workers are hacking up a ton of material onto the parts as they are being shipped, as has been stated, the chances are basically nil.

Haven't they determined that the virus spreads via fecal matter? So unless they are not washing their hands you should be fine.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Haven't they determined that the virus spreads via fecal matter? So unless they are not washing their hands you should be fine.

My memory is fecal matter is included but it’s not th ONLY way.  So yes wash your hands, but other things too.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:12 PM, Lk09p said:

I am from india and going to buy a new pc next week , since all pc components are manufactured in CHINA ( which is facing CORONA VIRUS outbreak right now ) and JAN imports are currently on the selves of my local stores , can i get infected just from them .

Absolutely not, and the concern is not with the virus potentially surviving and getting exported, but rather that the entire logistics pipeline is stalled.

The inflation of prices comes from demand outstripping supply, nothing else.  Presently China is basically shut down for travel, and many people who visit for business or holidays (in this case, almost certainly holidays since it was Chinese New Year.) 

Infineon (which makes automotive chips), Global Foundries (chip foundry), Texas Instruments (makes IC's), SK Hynix (Makes RAM and SSD's), Lite-on (Makes optical drives), TSMC (chip foundry), Samsung (chip foundry), Micron (Makes RAM) are all based in China.

Of those none are in Wuhan. XMC (Xinxin) and HSMC (Wuhan Hongxin Semiconductor) are have chip fabs in Wuhan. Xinxin makes NOR flash memory. Aqualite makes LED's, and YMTC makes 3D NAND flash memory. Only HSMC makes CPU/SoC's.

So overall the only tech that me somewhat impacted are flash drives, and chip foundries like TSMC and Global Foundries have sites outside China, so they're not entirely shut down.

i dont know if this has been answered yet but for the most part china has been quarantined to prevent from exposing the virus world wide but that includes imported good most parts will be on lock down until the quarantine is lifted some parts will be whats in stock is in stock some parts will be inflated because of this but as long as it blows over soon we should be fine 

On 2/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, Lk09p said:

since all pc components are manufactured in CHINA

That's very inaccurate. Many components are made in Taiwan, Japan, and Korea, including things like monitors, CPUs, GPUs, SSDs, and RAM.

The Wuhan Coronavirus won't have much impact on PC component prices, if any, and if it did, it wouldn't last for long.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

34 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Wuhan Coronavirus

Nice naming choice

Since it originated there.

ps Prices wont be affected.