Tesla Remove Software Features from Used Model S

captaindyson
3 hours ago, willies leg said:

Yeah, it's really disappointing. I guess software is expensive to build.

I got a model 3 and didn't get the full self driving. Only got the enhanced autopilot. I'll tell you what, it's really magical the way it works. Stop and go traffic I just kick it in and relax now. Worth the extra money. But full self driving isn't all there yet, I didn't see any reason to fork over the extra cash. Now if I buy it, it's $7,000 + tax. And from what I understand, it goes with the car when I sell it. So when I get a new Tesla I have to buy Enhanced Autopilot + FSD again. Not too happy about that.

But I'll tell you, the Tesla is an amazing car. And as more automakers go electric, I'm sure Tesla will be forced to change their strategy a bit. One thing's for sure, Tesla isn't a car company. They're a tech company selling a computer with wheels.

I have a newer model (like 2018 or 2019) VW Golf SportWagon AWD as a rental right now and it has the adaptive cruise control package that is similar to the enhanced autopilot (probably not as advanced - not sure what the differences are). 

And it’s fucking GLORIOUS. I set my target speed and it’ll adjust speed to the car ahead. I can even adjust the following distance. It’ll even slow right down to near stopping speed (though I have to use the brake to actually stop it). 

My car got side swiped in a roundabout last week - at this point it’s 50/50 whether the insurance company will approve the repair or write it off. 

If I need to replace the car, I’m very tempted to look at getting the same model as the rental. 

Edit: I’d love a full blown EV (probably a Kona or Niro realistically) - Model 3s are awesome but realistically a bit outside my price bracket - but I’m currently renting and installing a charger is simply a no-go. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Digitally updated software and an Internet connection means you don't own anything.

Just like video games.

Looks like the cloud....rained on his parade.
spacer.png

3 hours ago, willies leg said:

But I'll tell you, the Tesla is an amazing car. And as more automakers go electric, I'm sure Tesla will be forced to change their strategy a bit. One thing's for sure, Tesla isn't a car company. They're a tech company selling a computer with wheels.

Competition will rule. But I suspect that the brands we know today, will change. The biggest issue is that Tesla has changed the game.. a game that hasn't touched for ages.

Tesla brought the idea that cars are like a computer with an OS that they deliver/support. The Honda's (not to mention Toyota who still struggle in delivering Android Auto to all its cars), GM's and so on, can't even come close to offer anything like that. The car you bought what you get.. no changes. You'll lucky if it has bug fixes to its infotainment. Some, finally tip their toes in Over the Air updates,  and this is despite the fact that car manufcature pay about 100$ to dealership to an infotainment update via USB key. And you still have a problem where car manufactures software engineering teams fight against the purchase teams... meaning... the soft dev team makes software for say: 2GB of RAM, Nvidia Tegra X2 (just a random example), and despite sending the requirements to the purchase team (those who sign contracts for parts), goes to Nvidia (or whatever) and say 'We want this Tegra thing listed here, how much per chip for the millions we need? Hmmm 15$.... do you have something... at the price of 0$?... Oh you have this Tegra 3 for 1$... Well it says "Tegra" in the name.. deal! We will go with that!"... goes back to HQ, "Hey everyone I just saved the company 14$ thanks to my excellent negotiation tactics!!! WoHoo! Promotion! Thank you!".

Then you car infotainment is a slide show mess. Something that doesn't exists on a Tesla.

And the market indicates that Millennials and the following generation prefers, excellent infotainment, constant updates with enhancements and quitter vehicles over older generation who prefer physical buttons, engine noise, and "direct driving feel" (even thaugh that has disappeared well over 20 years ago, and nearly all US and Canadian pick automatic transmissions / CVT cars. 

Remember that this is the type of stuff you agree to whenever you use something with automatic updates.

Tesla, and other companies with automatic updates are entitled to change the software of your device whenever they feel like it, and you have nothing to say against it. It's just like with Windows 10 when they started removing features and then if you wanted those features you needed to pay more money to get the "Windows 10 for Workstation" license.

This is why we should be against things which take control away from users. Any control taken away from the user can potentially be used against users, and as we have learned time and time again, companies are not afraid to harm users if it means they make some more money.

Remember, say no to DRM, say no to the loss of control over your devices that you are suppose to own. Don't let companies oppress the users.