How to annoy hundreds of developers in all 50 states - Vermont bill would allow Emojis in license plates

rcmaehl
Just now, Bombastinator said:

There is no freedom from believing the BS. 

I honestly think some people are actually ok with that.

They want to be manipulated and want to belong to something and thus believe in every word that something says.

(I am guilty of not reading everything as well. ☹️ )

Ugh, would just make it harder for pedestrian to remember the license plate of hit and runs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It looks like it's just adding a vanity symbol along side the standard numbers. 

Can I take 1 each of angry, happy, imploding, and Sad Corvette emoji? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

18 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Ugh, would just make it harder for pedestrian to remember the license plate of hit and runs.

My aggressor was a rollercoaster of emotions emojis!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

13 hours ago, Levent said:

Vermont is also where people register their gray import vehicles (like R34s, JZX100s, S15s etc).

dis_gon_be_good.gif

Never heard about that. I guess that's kind of the point of "Gray import" though. It does seem weird considering Vermont's very intense Inspection requirements though.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

I still remember when MSN Messenger turned into cancer. It was when text communication got stupid ass emojis and every chat turned into colorful vomit. So, good luck with license plates and emojis lmao...

13 hours ago, mr.squishy said:

Never heard about that. I guess that's kind of the point of "Gray import" though. It does seem weird considering Vermont's very intense Inspection requirements though.

You are correct. I confused Vermont with Maine. Maine issues plates to out of state cars, you dont even need to show residency in state.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Fire all of them. Every politician in the room.

Waste of tax payer money by even taking about it. Let alone trying to pass a bill.

Of all the things they could be working on these idiots are talking about this? 

15 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Fire all of them. Every politician in the room.

Waste of tax payer money by even taking about it. Let alone trying to pass a bill.

Of all the things they could be working on these idiots are talking about this? 

Vanity plates are about making money.  They’re sold at a profit by states so they can keep taxes low.  This thread has already likely used more effort than their entire group did talking  about it.  And you want to drive everything off a cliff because clearly there was waste.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Vanity plates are about making money.  They’re sold at a profit by states so they can keep taxes low.  This thread has already likely used more effort than their entire group did talking  about it.  And you want to drive everything off a cliff because clearly there was waste.

So they are going to start selling these vanity plates and taxes are going to lower?  You really think that? Any proof to that?  Vermont already has one of the highest tax rates in the country.

Vanity plates are $45 in vermont. How much money do you think thats bringing in? What about the cost of making them? 

Theres 9k vanity plates in vermont now. Thats not driving taxes down. Are we to believe that tens of thousands of vermont drivers are going to be buying emoji plates and taxes will go down? (You cant say "stay low" since their taxes are not low to begin with).

Point is. Its an asinine, pointless, dumb bill. If they wasted 4 mins talking about it and 4 mins drawing up the bill its still a huge waste of tax payer money.

4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

So they are going to start selling these vanity plates and taxes are going to lower?  You really think that? Any proof to that?  Vermont already has one of the highest tax rates in the country.

Vanity plates are $45 in vermont. How much money do you think thats bringing in? What about the cost of making them? 

Theres 9k vanity plates in vermont now. Thats not driving taxes down. Are we to believe that tens of thousands of vermont drivers are going to be buying emoji plates and taxes will go down? (You cant say "stay low" since their taxes are not low to begin with).

Point is. Its an asinine, pointless, dumb bill. If they wasted 4 mins talking about it and 4 mins drawing up the bill its still a huge waste of tax payer money.

So your argument can be compacted to “vanity plates don’t do what they’re supposed to and every state ever has been wrong for 50 years and never checked because random assumptions!  Drive it off a cliff!”  I think you just want to drive it off a cliff and don’t care why.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

So your argument can be compacted to “vanity plates don’t do what they’re supposed to and every state ever has been wrong for 50 years and never checked because random assumptions!  Drive it off a cliff!”  I think you just want to drive it off a cliff and don’t care why.

We already have vanity plates. Adding emoji plates is a waste of time and money.

My argument is Vermonts government should be using their time and effort on shit that will do something. Not emoji plates. 

Again ill ask. Do you think Vermonts high tax rates are going to drop due to this? Is there any evidence to support such a claim.

Your first argument was that vanity plates was about making money to keep taxes low. Well Vermont are not low.

So whats more likely. These emoji plates will be a huge success and taxes will go down. or they will come out, some people will buy them, taxes will stay high, and no tax payer will see a single benefit or savings from it?

Avoidance.  Repeat of earlier trick question that never meant anything the first time.

So yes.  Its what you want to do. 

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Avoidance.  Repeat of earlier trick question that never meant anything the first time.

So yes.  Its what you want to do. 

I have no clue how you are confused by my statements.

My point was this is a dumb bill that will have no benefit to tax payers in any way. Yet they are wasting tax payers money by discussing it. If your ok with your local government wasting your money on pointless shit. Thats on you. I llke to call them out for wasting tax payer money. Nothing against Vermont specifically. Obv i was being hyporbolic saying "fire them all".

Your point was "its to make money to keep taxes low".

Well you are factually wrong. You can look up Vermonts tax rate and see its one of the highest in the country.

What evidence do you have that this is going to save the tax payers money? If every single person in vermont buys one of these is their any evidence to show their tax rate will go down?

21 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

My point was this is a dumb bill that will have no benefit to tax payers in any way. Yet they are wasting tax payers money by discussing it. If your ok with your local government wasting your money on pointless shit. Thats on you. I llke to call them out for wasting tax payer money. Nothing against Vermont specifically. Obv i was being hyporbolic saying "fire them all".

Well you are factually wrong. You can look up Vermonts tax rate and see its one of the highest in the country.

What evidence do you have that this is going to save the tax payers money? If every single person in vermont buys one of these is their any evidence to show their tax rate will go down?

I do not think I am confused.  I think you may wish I was.  I think you may hope to make other people that way. 

28 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I am not confused by your statements.  I think you wish I was and are attempting to make it look like I am.  I am not.  I do think they are attempts to confuse.  I just think they failed on me.

Third attempt at that fake  tax thing for example.  I will explain why it is fake.
It  is a classic false syllogism.  One does not equate with the other. I don’t know if it’s a fail or a lie but it’s wrong.  That’s not how reality works.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I am not confused by your statements.  I think you wish I was and are attempting to make it look like I am.  I am not.  I do think they are attempts to confuse.  I just think they failed on me.

Third attempt at that fake  tax thing for example.  I will explain why it is fake.
It  is a classic false syllogism.  One does not equate with the other. I don’t know if it’s a fail or a lie but it’s wrong.  That’s not how reality works.

How is it a fake tax thing?

Ive asked multiple times for evidence that vanity plate sales "kept taxes low" in a state with some of the highest tax rates in the country.

I made the claim that it was a dumb bill thats a waste of time. My evidence is that tax payers are paying for these politicians to make these laws. So any amount of time they spend working on it is on the tax payers dime. Instead of focuses on any amount of important things. They are wasting time on emoji plates.

Your claim is the vanity plates will keep taxes low. Proof? How much will taxes drop  from a one time $50 payment to the states dmv?

9000 vanity plates in vermont right now. At $48 a pop thats close to half a million. Not chump change by any means. But thats a one time payment. Once you pay that $48 the plate is yours and no more fees (for the plate atleast). 

Thats not enough to bring taxes down and theres literally no factual way of saving it keeps vermont taxes low since factually they are not low at all.

How bout dat

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

12 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Ive asked multiple times for evidence that vanity plate sales "kept taxes low" in a state with some of the highest tax rates in the country.

I made the claim that it was a dumb bill thats a waste of time. My evidence is that tax payers are paying for these politicians to make these laws. So any amount of time they spend working on it is on the tax payers dime. Instead of focuses on any amount of important things. They are wasting time on emoji plates.

Your claim is the vanity plates will keep taxes low. Proof? How much will taxes drop  from a one time $50 payment to the states dmv?

9000 vanity plates in vermont right now. At $48 a pop thats close to half a million. Not chump change by any means. But thats a one time payment. Once you pay that $48 the plate is yours and no more fees (for the plate atleast). 

Thats not enough to bring taxes down and theres literally no factual way of saving it keeps vermont taxes low since factually they are not low at all.

12 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Re: fake tax claims.

i explained that already.  Twice.  That’s why I think you are only pretending.

re: The word “low”

congrats.  You found a vague word, plucked it out of context, and are attempting to apply it in a different way.  Not buying it.  It’s like watching a cat trying to cover on a linoleum floor.

re: proof

the classic policy vs LD thing. not Falling for that one either.  You want to prove no state in the US should have ever done vanity plates? Knock yourself out.  I think it’s all of them btw.

Yep, most state have vanity plates, but lowering taxes? LOL nope. Some new vanity plate came out, looks neat but it's $60 to get them and an extra $10 a year on tags, but taxes didn't go down and cost of plate tags on my car actually went up.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Yep, most state have vanity plates, but lowering taxes? LOL nope. Some new vanity plate came out, looks neat but it's $60 to get them and an extra $10 a year on tags, but taxes didn't go down and cost of plate tags on my car actually went up.

Exactly.

To say vanity plates "make money to keep taxes low" is just nonsense.

They have added a number of new tags in my state for additional costs. Does it make the state money? Of course. Does it do anything for tax payers in terms of saving them money? Hell no.

Keeping taxes low will only happen if you're on the streets blocking business to whatever it is you're trying to get attention towards.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Killing-time-itself said:

This would be frustrating for grabbing plate numbers I would imagine

Nah.  The problem is there’s an implication it is supposed to replace numbers on the plates which is false.  It was just the local government spitballing images to put on new vanity plates and parts of two different articles both of which said that number changes were not happening, were conflated together to make it look like it wasn’t.  Then the political trolls jumped in to complain about a government even talking about vanity plates being cause to drag down state government and it all turned into a giant mess.  It’s a “nothing burger” I believe the term is.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:48 PM, justpoet said:

As a developer…if you can't properly handle all characters in a typeset, learn to code.

As a normal person…WTF, can we just get rid of emoji from life yet?  They are so stupid!

IMO allowing vs handling is different. I could for example have a field that only accepts numbers, or one that only accepts A-Z in upper or lowercase (though other languages are available). After that, there are standards that do cover all possible configs AFIK... but probably best not being able to enter arbitrary character sets.