Can't get full internet speed from router.

kgcolbyiii

Hello LTT fam,

I have a question about Routers. Linked is my current router that I have which doesn't seem to support speeds over 300mbps when I'm direct connected it to the router "I plug from Modem to Router to PC (All Ethernet)". I currently have the 1gig line through Cox and it shows all 950mbps when I'm directly connected to the modem itself. I've tried to go into the router settings and set my bandwidth to 1000 down 50 up. Set my IP to DMZ and priority bandwidth. I would just assume it's due to having all the devices but its still capping when I'm the only one home.

Current Router https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-DIR-880L/dp/B00J8NCVX4

Is this just a thing with aging routers?

5 minutes ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Hello LTT fam,

I have a question about Routers. Linked is my current router that I have which doesn't seem to support speeds over 300mbps when I'm direct connected it to the router "I plug from Modem to Router to PC (All Ethernet)". I currently have the 1gig line through Cox and it shows all 950mbps when I'm directly connected to the modem itself. I've tried to go into the router settings and set my bandwidth to 1000 down 50 up. Set my IP to DMZ and priority bandwidth. I would just assume it's due to having all the devices but its still capping when I'm the only one home.

Current Router https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-DIR-880L/dp/B00J8NCVX4

yes it might be a thing with old routers get a knew one that ought to fix the issue

Xeon 4 core 8 Thread 3.00Ghz

8GB RAM

500 GB Hard Drive

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750(Over Clocked)

Dell Precision T3500 

40 minutes ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Hello LTT fam,

do you have QoS turned of any packet prioritization turned off, firewall turned off. Make sure the firmware is up to date, have you tried to factory reset the router?

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

6 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Most routers cant do Gigabit. Doesnt matter if they have a gigabit port. The fact is the hardware inside cant handle Gigabit NAT. So if its any older router, thats why it can go over 300 Mbps. That also being said, your NOT generally going to see Gigabit internet speeds thru WiFi, it just is not going to happen. 

In some cases you can turn of QoS and other features on some routers and they can do faster speeds. If you go to https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ they have all the benchmarks on most routers. The LAN to WAN or the WAN to LAN througput is what metric your looking at. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

Hello LTT fam,

* Internet speed is one thing and depends on your provider 

* Lan, network speed is another and depends on your equipment

Which one are you referring to ?

Most routers cant do Gigabit. Doesnt matter if they have a gigabit port. The fact is the hardware inside cant handle Gigabit NAT. So if its any older router, thats why it can go over 300 Mbps. That also being said, your NOT generally going to see Gigabit internet speeds thru WiFi, it just is not going to happen. 

Do you think a pfSense box would help him? I have been told its not a good solution for business grade 10Gbit WAN to LAN but perhaps it could handle 1Gbit?

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you think a pfSense box would help him? I have been told its not a good solution for business grade 10Gbit WAN to LAN but perhaps it could handle 1Gbit?

That’s what most suggest. But to be clear the OP has a Docsis 3.1 connection. Which means it’s 1 Gbps down and probably 35-45 Mbps up if the OP is lucky. Hell my router the Synology RT2600 AC is rated for gigabit. But it’s a $200 router. 

I have "up to 555 mbps" plan from my ISP. On wire between router and PC it does show around 500-580 mbps. The wifi signal is much slower though, even on 5 GHz it is like 50% slower.

The absolute maximum I was able to get is 397mbps for download and 401 mbps for upload. (5GHZ wifi and 3.0 usb wifi adapter with single antenna)

I've read some article that states that on high speed plans it is ok-ish to have 50-60% of the maximum speed provided by your ISP when you use WiFi.

The article says it is true for high speed plans like 500+ mbps. 

There are many things that can slow down the signal from router to wifi adapter on your PC. You might get 80-90% of the speed under the perfect conditions but it would rarely happen. Like it is in my case.

Of course if the ISP plan is like 100 mpbs and slower that you will most likely have stable 100 mbps almost all the time.

This is just the information I wanted to share with others. Also, this topic seems interesting to me: 

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That’s what most suggest. But to be clear the OP has a Docsis 3.1 connection. Which means it’s 1 Gbps down and probably 35-45 Mbps up if the OP is lucky. Hell my router the Synology RT2600 AC is rated for gigabit. But it’s a $200 router. 

1000/35

15 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

* Internet speed is one thing and depends on your provider 

* Lan, network speed is another and depends on your equipment

Which one are you referring to ?

My internet speed as a whole while I'm connected to Ethernet. I understand the wifi gets slower but my hardwired connection shouldn't suffer while I'm connected to the router.

22 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

do you have QoS turned of any packet prioritization turned off, firewall turned off. Make sure the firmware is up to date, have you tried to factory reset the router?

QoS has my comp as priority. Set to DMZ

11 hours ago, mcRYSHER said:

I have "up to 555 mbps" plan from my ISP. On wire between router and PC it does show around 500-580 mbps. The wifi signal is much slower though, even on 5 GHz it is like 50% slower.

The absolute maximum I was able to get is 397mbps for download and 401 mbps for upload. (5GHZ wifi and 3.0 usb wifi adapter with single antenna)

I've read some article that states that on high speed plans it is ok-ish to have 50-60% of the maximum speed provided by your ISP when you use WiFi.

The article says it is true for high speed plans like 500+ mbps. 

There are many things that can slow down the signal from router to wifi adapter on your PC. You might get 80-90% of the speed under the perfect conditions but it would rarely happen. Like it is in my case.

Of course if the ISP plan is like 100 mpbs and slower that you will most likely have stable 100 mbps almost all the time.

This is just the information I wanted to share with others. Also, this topic seems interesting to me: 

The problem is I'm not on Wifi

7 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

QoS has my comp as priority. Set to DMZ

QoS uses a lot of CPU horsepower on your router. This is part of your problem. You have a big enough pipe for everyone in the house. Turn it off. I would advise against turning off the firewall if you can. It’s the first and best line of defense against the ass holes of the internet. Go to the website I linked above and see if your current router is rated for gigabit. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

QoS uses a lot of CPU horsepower on your router. This is part of your problem. You have a big enough pipe for everyone in the house. Turn it off. I would advise against turning off the firewall if you can. It’s the first and best line of defense against the ass holes of the internet. Go to the website I linked above and see if your current router is rated for gigabit. 

that website doesn't have my router sadly.

2 hours ago, kgcolbyiii said:

that website doesn't have my router sadly.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32500-d-link-dir-880l-ac1900-wi-fi-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3

Didnt look hard enough. It looks like it maxes out in the 800 Mbps range. But like stated above certian features like QoS can reduce this. 

Also their conclusion was its an OK router. I can tell you from personal exprience with older Dlink products that their software was shit.