NINTENDO SWITCH PRO (?) MID 2020

So, there's a good chance we will finally be getting the PRO version of the Nintendo Switch.

Nothing really confirmed but some manufacturers trails can be extrapolated due to the pieces they are ordering.

Have you already bought the (new) updated nintendo switch, or are you waiting (like me) for the pro version?

** I'm "new" in the forums, pretty sure i had an old account but whatever, i've been subbed to LTT for many years now, currently off social media so i'm starting to be more active on forums and such to distract myself.

What are the "features" of the Pro that makes you wait? This is all speculations. You could end by not buying it at all if it doesn't come out and games like Breath of The Wild and Mario Odyssey(and many others) are really really worth it.

2 hours ago, Scatology said:

What are the "features" of the Pro that makes you wait? This is all speculations. You could end by not buying it at all if it doesn't come out and games like Breath of The Wild and Mario Odyssey(and many others) are really really worth it.

I think there is little doubt there will eventually be a significantly upgraded Switch, considering Nintendo has put out far superior versions of every handheld they have ever made. Eg Game Boy pocket which replaced the Game Boy's green and white screen with a black and white one and made it way skinnier, Game Boy color adding color, then a model of the Game Boy Advance SP adding a backlit screen and a clamshell to make it far superior to the original GBA, DS Lite adding a much better screen and smaller form factor to the DS, 3DS XL greatly increasing the screen size of the 3DS and then New 3DS replacing the dual core cpu with a quadcore and also adding a facetracking camera to actually made the 3D effect run decently. So this rumor won't die because it's supported by what Nintendo has done on every single handheld they have ever put out.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:30 PM, Malchidael said:

So, there's a good chance we will finally be getting the PRO version of the Nintendo Switch.

Nothing really confirmed but some manufacturers trails can be extrapolated due to the pieces they are ordering.

Have you already bought the (new) updated nintendo switch, or are you waiting (like me) for the pro version?

** I'm "new" in the forums, pretty sure i had an old account but whatever, i've been subbed to LTT for many years now, currently off social media so i'm starting to be more active on forums and such to distract myself.

I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want to buy the Switch now since there is surely an upgraded one coming. It's the same reason I refuse to buy a gpu today despite running a GeForce 8400 GS in my system right now lol (so overpriced right now and the generation is almost over). Only thing is, we have no clue if it's coming in 2020 or 2021, though I doubt they'd wait until 2022. And Switch does have a really strong library right now, three years after release. Though I guess if you skipped the console this long, 2020 doesn't look like an especially strong year for the Switch based on what has been announced so far and what is rumored unless you're into Animal Crossing (and you don't sound like you're nine lol).

I bought a Switch Lite 2 months back since I wouldnt have been able to afford the pro anyways. My guess is that considering Nvidia will still be the supplier again with potentially something like the Xavier chips  

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Just now, yaboistar said:

if you look at the tegra lineup on wikipedia there's an as-yet-TBC chip that is, if trends continue as they are, going to be using Turing arch. i suspect the switch pro or switch 2 will either use this or the Volta based one. i'd be very surprised if they opt for the pascal based one as that's only a small step up from the old GM20B tegra x1

Definate Volta, the GPU power increase not to mention the CPU power increase are immense compared to Tegra X1 or even X1 Mariko

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

idk i'm kinda holding out for a turing switch - the fact that the details are unreleased despite it being long after turing has come out leads me to believe it's under closed doors until it's ready to be revealed. considering turing's impressive capabilities i'm hoping it's under closed doors because nintendon't are working on something using it and don't want the secret sauce getting out to competing projects *cough* alienware tablet *cough*

Monster Boy with ray tracing!

On 1/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, Malchidael said:

I have an orginal Switch, first gen. Personally I think it works just fine. Though if they do give a more compelling reason to buy a new one I might cosider it. Fact is, my neices and nephews got a swtich from Christmas, so I could take my current one and put it on the living room TV for all to use. Plus my Wii is slowlying giving up to ghost from what my mom says, and see uses it for yoga, so that new fitness game would be perfect for her. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Here's a few things to consider here:

• Nintendo is likely not going to ask NVIDIA for a custom SoC and as far as I know NVIDIA doesn't have a "semi-custom" thing for this. So asking NVIDIA for such could possibly make any new version less affordable.
  • NVIDIA's currently known SoCs after the Tegra X1 the Switch uses are the X2 and Xavier. The problem is that both of them use Denver CPUs, which while compatible with ARMv8, are implemented differently than the standard Cortex-A cores used in the Tegra X1. This would require a different flavor of system firmware to account for this. Note that Nintendo uses a custom version of FreeBSD for the Switch's OS.
  • The last announced SoC NVIDIA announced, Orin, doesn't even seem to be slated for something resembling portable electronics. Especially since details so far said the part would be a ~60W TDP one.

The only thing I can see Nintendo doing to the Switch's current hardware without basically making a new console is making the Tegra X1 in a smaller process node (currently it's down to 16nm) and bumping up the clock speeds.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:01 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want to buy the Switch now since there is surely an upgraded one coming. It's the same reason I refuse to buy a gpu today despite running a GeForce 8400 GS in my system right now lol (so overpriced right now and the generation is almost over). Only thing is, we have no clue if it's coming in 2020 or 2021, though I doubt they'd wait until 2022. And Switch does have a really strong library right now, three years after release. Though I guess if you skipped the console this long, 2020 doesn't look like an especially strong year for the Switch based on what has been announced so far and what is rumored unless you're into Animal Crossing (and you don't sound like you're nine lol).

I think i will wait this year at most.

I have been waiting because my tv needs upgrading too so the idea was buying an 4k hdr dolby etc sony tv along with the 4k switch.

A lot of the rumors also say something about bigger cartridges (?) i did not understand the need of that, unless they meant bigger capacity and not physical 

Much like Mira Yuzaki said.

On top of a supposed node shrink and bump in clocks, we'll likely see the X1 running at full X1 speeds, since the switch currently doesn't to save on power.

I could also see them potentially giving the Switch the full 8GB of ram the X1 can utilize.  Not because the Switch could benefit, but to help differentiate it with a "pro" moniker.  Other than that, I could see Nintendo shrinking bezels to increase screen size.  The Switch has some chonky bezels (which tbh never bothered me on a video game console), and a 6.2" screen.  I could see them shrinking the bezels to potentially get a 6.5 or 6.7" screen size.  I doubt they'll go past 720p.  If this supposed pro model is running at full Tegra X1 speeds, then things will run a lot smoother at the resolution it already has, no need to bump resolution cause minus resolution, we wouldn't get a bump in performance in handheld mode.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 7:03 AM, Malchidael said:

I think i will wait this year at most.

I have been waiting because my tv needs upgrading too so the idea was buying an 4k hdr dolby etc sony tv along with the 4k switch.

A lot of the rumors also say something about bigger cartridges (?) i did not understand the need of that, unless they meant bigger capacity and not physical 

Might as well just buy now then, since Nintendo told investors no new Switch models in 2020. Page 10 below:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200131_2e.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Malchidael said:

Makes me sad, i'll get it midyear/december when they drop their prices here again.

Wow you get price drops on Nintendo hardware? Seem pretty rare in the US.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:58 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Wow you get price drops on Nintendo hardware? Seem pretty rare in the US.

Not everyone lives on the americas

On 2/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, Malchidael said:

Makes me sad, i'll get it midyear/december when they drop their prices here again.

I don't think they've ever dropped the price, just bundled stuff.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

• 2 weeks later...

really wish for an upgrade..

a newer switch still with docking support, since the lite seems lacking.

glass in front of the screen instead of that cheap plastic that scratches, and the new Tegra chip, would be nice. 

and a 128gig model... with faster internal transfer speeds and WAY better wifi .. maybe support for WIFI 6

I really like to see Bluetooth earphones compatibility on nitendo switch pro……

BTW,if there IS an Pro model, please release the Eevee edition at the same time ?